1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #286 of 9,124
I'd be interested in headphones that are flat, detailed, open, good but not overwhelming bass, wide stage. Anyone know which would fit the bill (have been avoiding customs, afraid I'll get them and STILL have fit problems...) Would like to hold the price to the $500 ballpark or less if there's a real bargain in the bunch. I had been thinking about something like the Shure 850 or Senn 800. Any ideas/information? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #287 of 9,124
I'd be interested in headphones that are flat, detailed, open, good but not overwhelming bass, wide stage. Anyone know which would fit the bill (have been avoiding customs, afraid I'll get them and STILL have fit problems...) Would like to hold the price to the $500 ballpark or less if there's a real bargain in the bunch. I had been thinking about something like the Shure 850 or Senn 800. Any ideas/information? Thanks.

You might wanna try the U6 then. $480. Should sound similar to the V6-Stage, which is overall flat and neutralish.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #288 of 9,124
  Having read that, the Ambient 12 config looks very much like its set up to create more more v-shaped sound with less attention to balance...? Does 6 mid/hi mean 3 mid drivers and 3 treble drivers? 
Having read that' I think I'm settling back into my U8 choice again (or U6) - the driver set up of the U and A series *looks* more balanced....?

the u8 is universal right? no need to send ear impressions? they should have all the u series in ciem versions

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #289 of 9,124
Hello! This is my first post here but I've been lurking around for a year or so. I've decided to back this Adel thing and have so far decided to go for the U5. I'm not sure though, the U6 is also an option. I like my earphones mostly neutral, but sometimes with a little warmth. Favorites are Stax SRS-2170, NAD HP50 and Denon AH-C400. Anyone care to guess which model would suit me? :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #290 of 9,124
the u8 is universal right? no need to send ear impressions? they should have all the u series in ciem versions

The U series is basically the universal version of their current V series custom line up. I understand they'll be implementing the ADEL tech in their V series in the future.

Hello! This is my first post here but I've been lurking around for a year or so. I've decided to back this Adel thing and have so far decided to go for the U5. I'm not sure though, the U6 is also an option. I like my earphones mostly neutral, but sometimes with a little warmth. Favorites are Stax SRS-2170, NAD HP50 and Denon AH-C400. Anyone care to guess which model would suit me? :)

That would be U5 neutral and bright, U6 if you prefer a warmer balanced sound with a bit more emphasis in the bass.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #291 of 9,124
According to Stephen's reply on KS comment:If you're listening in very loud environments, then stick with the U-Series, but if not, then the ADEL ambient is geared toward real open ear sound in a closed ear environment. It's wider spacially. : ) 
And the reply of my PM: Sound of Ambient 12 is flatter, reference where the sound of U8 is thicker and richer.

Looks like ambient is better in term of sound quality......is it?

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #292 of 9,124
Thank you! I guess what makes me more interested in the 1964 collaborations is that they feel like less of a gamble since their ancestors (so to speak) are so well regarded. :) I'll have to think more about this I think.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #293 of 9,124
I am sorry if this has already been answered but does using the Adel tech mean that we will be letting outside noise in? Or we can still use the Adel tech with a total seal?

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #294 of 9,124
[COLOR=0F2105]According to Stephen's reply on KS comment:[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]If you're listening in very loud environments, then stick with the U-Series, but if not, then the ADEL ambient is geared toward real open ear sound in a closed ear environment. It's wider spacially. : ) [/COLOR]
And the reply of my PM: [COLOR=FF0000]Sound of Ambient 12 is flatter, reference where the sound of U8 is thicker and richer.[/COLOR]

Looks like [COLOR=0F2105]ambient is better in term of sound quality......is it?[/COLOR]

According to Stephen's statement the Ambient 12 should be my first choice, but I haven't changed my pledge because:

1. Ambient in its earbud design to me is not as appealing as the over ear moulded design of the U-series/V-series
2. Ambient is a new product, no reference point
3. Ambient will be manufactured by ?
4. Ambient doesn't look like it will be easy to wear over ear (my preference)
5. Ambient is a 6+6 design, I expect the mids to be less than U-series
6. Ambient has double number of drivers yet is almost the same price as U6/U8, why?

The above is my interpretation. Hopefully there will be more information available soon so comparison between Ambient(12) and U-series will be much easier. I would be interested in a U12 design but unless an objective review can convince me otherwise I'm not likely to change my pledge into Ambient 12. Just my 2cents

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #296 of 9,124
Just to be safe, I do hope all of you are keeping in mind that listening to this won't prevent hearing loss more than listening on open cans. The same can be said of open IEMs, if that exists. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #297 of 9,124
  Just to be safe, I do hope all of you are keeping in mind that listening to this won't prevent hearing loss more than listening on open cans. The same can be said of open IEMs, if that exists. 

just because over the ear cans are over the ear doesn't mean they can't put out enough juice to create pneumatic pressures. Most over the ear cans still have some seal to them and they are usually more powerful than in ear. I noticed everyone uses over the ear cans to record vocal. If this ADEL really works as described i wonder if it would be just as good to record vocals in them. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #298 of 9,124

just because over the ear cans are over the ear doesn't mean they can't put out enough juice to create pneumatic pressures. Most over the ear cans still have some seal to them and they are usually more powerful than in ear. I noticed everyone uses over the ear cans to record vocal. If this ADEL really works as described i wonder if it would be just as good to record vocals in them. 

True, though what I'm talking about are open headphones, not simply circum-aural. Of course, open back headphones mostly do seal with the ear, but with the ones that I've tried, at least, they do not seal to the point where pneumatic pressures would be as harmful as on IEMs. The reason I say this is because when I wear open headphones, such as the AD900x, or HD800, there is no perceivable occlusion effect, which is itself the result of a tight seal that would produce pneumatic pressures, compared to IEMs and closed-back circum-aural/supra-aural headphones, which I am able very easily to hear the occlusion effect. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #299 of 9,124
The volume of air in a can is much larger than in the ear canal with an IEM. Given the compressibility of air, I would guess cans don't produce near as much pressure as a sealed IEM. Perhaps that's why IEMs are associated with hearing loss and cans are not.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #300 of 9,124
The volume of air in a can is much larger than in the ear canal with an IEM. Given the compressibility of air, I would guess cans don't produce near as much pressure as a sealed IEM. Perhaps that's why IEMs are associated with hearing loss and cans are not.

Lets just stick to whether they sound good or not. As I have said before the hearing loss part is so hard to test you are basically buying that on face value.

I have searched high and low and I have not see any reference to pressure as a source of hearing loss. Best not to think about the hearing protection aspect or suggest it to people too much less they decide it's safe to crank the volume and suffer hearing loss as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back