1more quad or Campfire Comet for $200 and under gift
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy someone a present of good audio and am thinking of $200 max. At $200 exactly is the Comet, which I know is well regarded, and for $150 I can get the 1more quads, which are also well regarded. $50 isn't enough to sway me to buy one over the other. The question is, is the Comet better? Or not? I'm sure they're different, but in what way?

I'd appreciate the difference.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 6
I want to buy someone a present of good audio and am thinking of $200 max. At $200 exactly is the Comet, which I know is well regarded, and for $150 I can get the 1more quads, which are also well regarded. $50 isn't enough to sway me to buy one over the other. The question is, is the Comet better? Or not? I'm sure they're different, but in what way?

I'd appreciate the difference.
From my understanding the Comet is a more mid centric IEM with a bit rolled off sub bass and high frequency.
Which maybe makes them a safer bet, aside from the IMHO much higher build quality.
I haven’t heard the 1More quads, but had the triples and was not my kind of taste. V shaped, which certainly can be fun but I personally prefer a more balanced sound.
So between the Comet and Quads I’d go for the Comet for a present. Besides all else, they just look so much more special :)

An IEM that really surprised me in that price range is the Moondrop Kanas Pro from Aliexpress, which is really good at that level. Smooth, detailed, balanced and extended, and sounds good with any source I tested it with. From phone to small DAP and the mighty little Mojo. But this one takes time to receive from China. That one is a great allrounder, arguably “better value” than the Comet.
Still, the Comet would be my pick as a present. Brand, durability, that special design, and good sound.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Are you in any rush? For $200 you could get the bgvp dm6 which is a nice all rounder, though it took almost a month to get from china to me. I liked the comet that I borrowed recently which i used at an arcade event and was constantly taking them in and out of my ear or when I was jogging since it doesn't have to be over ear if you don't want them to be. If you want a good warranty then the comets are probably the best to go with. Plus anything that has removable cables will always win long term wise, which the quad drivers don't have if I remember correctly.

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for these comments. I decided to pull the trigger on the campfires. Yes, time is an issue, and the convincing argument for me is that while there are at least a dozen good options, the campfires are somehow cooler and more interesting as objects. Thus, a better present.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 6
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Nice present!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back