$200 DAC?
Apr 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jfiaff

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm fairly new to all this audiophile stuff so please bear with me. 
redface.gif

Here is my current setup:  FLAC > Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS (sound card) > ATH-M50s / HD555

Anyways, I've been thinking about getting a decent desktop DAC.  What would you guys recommend for me?  My budget is $200, although less is better. :)   

I would also appreciate any input on possible upgrades down the road.  I know my current headphones won't really benefit from an amp so I figure I'll hold off on that for a while.  However, after the DAC, would it be better to get an amp or higher quality headphones?

Thanks a lot.  Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 32
I'd pickup a Zero DAC, used for around $100. Upgrade the op-amps and you've got a very nice amp & DAC. You're next level up would be fully discrete without op-amps which would be around $600+ for the DAC alone.

Thank you for your suggestion. I apologize for my ignorance, but would you be so kind as to explain what "op-amps" means?

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion. I apologize for my ignorance, but would you be so kind as to explain what "op-amps" means?

Operational amplifiers or op-amps for short are these little spider like chips found in some solid state amps and DACs, switching these out simply changes the sound. In a nutshell they convert the current output of a DAC to a voltage, so in essence they are the sound.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 32
I've been giving this a bit of thought, and since I'll be going away to college next year, I was wondering if there are any good portable alternatives to the Zero DAC.  It doesn't have to be pocket sized or anything...just a bit less bulky than the Zero. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 32
The MSII is a pure DAC - it can't power anything. . . get a cheap DAC/AMP, and maybe later upgrade your headphones to something fancy. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
I'd recco the HRT music streamer II.  It's a very good 24 bit, no fuss, asynch DAC.  Though it only has USB in, in case that matters to you.

Haha. That certainly looks portable, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. 

Have any of you tried the Audinst HUD-MX1?  How would that compare to the Zero DAC?

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 32
Hey, my friend told me that he believes the 24 Bit PCM1794A SPDIF+TOSLINK DAC is the best DAC for under 200 dollars. It's something to consider if you're ONLY looking for a DAC in this range.

There are of course other options and I am by no means well-versed in DACs, but in my limited research on the matter, this is what I've come up with. Some other good DACs I've found under 200 are the HIFIDIY Aune Mini MK2 which has an amplifier in it already, but isn't anything TOO SPECIAL amp wise is a nice option. The Musiland Monitor 02 is only 120 and sounds better than the Essence STX. So take that for what you will.

I also believe all these options should sound better than the Zero Dac since I believe the STX is better than the Zero Dac. So I hope I've helped you some.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:
Hey, my friend told me that he believes the 24 Bit PCM1794A SPDIF+TOSLINK DAC is the best DAC for under 200 dollars. It's something to consider if you're ONLY looking for a DAC in this range.

There are of course other options and I am by no means well-versed in DACs, but in my limited research on the matter, this is what I've come up with. Some other good DACs I've found under 200 are the HIFIDIY Aune Mini MK2 which has an amplifier in it already, but isn't anything TOO SPECIAL amp wise is a nice option. The Musiland Monitor 02 is only 120 and sounds better than the Essence STX. So take that for what you will.

I also believe all these options should sound better than the Zero Dac since I believe the STX is better than the Zero Dac. So I hope I've helped you some.

Yesterday you made your first post asking for advice on picking out equipment and today you're an expert?

Why does your 'friend' 'believe' that unknown DAC is the best for under $200, what has he compared it too?

Why do you believe these options are better than the Zero DAC, have you even heard it? Have you compared the STX to it as you consider it better?

All I see in your post is a bunch of speculation and bad advice.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
Haha. That certainly looks portable, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. 

Have any of you tried the Audinst HUD-MX1?  How would that compare to the Zero DAC?

I have an MX1, it's pretty neat, small (watch those sharp corners, though) and sounds good. As for how it compares, well, I haven't heard the Zero before. When I bought the MX1, I was going to buy the Zero at first, actually, but after reading about quality issues with the Zero I decided to pass it up.

There are other selections too, like the Yulong U100, Uber Muzik Tiny Tube, and HiFiMan EF2. Some of those may sound a bit better than the Audinst, but I think the biggest merit of the Audinst is that it can run directly off of USB power, whereas other DAC/amps have to be plugged into the wall.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 32
Aww, I thought the Audigy 2zs was pretty good as a sound card. I don't think you're going to get that much higher up for under $200.
On a budget, I would save up a bit, get a cheap dac/amp like the yulong u100 or audinst mx-1 and upgrade your headphones as much as possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back