2012 Autumn Festival in October (private thread)
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111
T-shirt links:

Dark: http://www.cafepress.com/headfitokyo.586062739
Baseball: http://www.cafepress.com/headfitokyo.586062708

Thanks Jude!

Other stuff: 

I'm conspiring to get any MOTs coming in from the US to stay at the Century Southern Tower, because it rocks.

Gear I'm probably going to bring:
LCD-3
Magnums

Calyx DAC + Audiophilleo/Vanix rig, because I think it kicks ass hard and I want you guys to hear it.
Otomatsu balanced DIY amp, maybe. Not as good as the Phoenix but livens up the LCD-3s.
Audio-gd NFB-16 portable.
O2
Pico Power (if it arrives in time)
HP-P1

MacBook Air
Lots of cables.

Thinking about: 
Asking for a loaner Apex Glacier portable amp.
Getting a proper S/PDIF splitter if anyone wants to do a DAC-off.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 111
AnakChan
Today at 2:24 pm

My vote will be for the Cardinal or Military Green, M sized too.

Sasaki-san, thx for the coordination with Fujiya. I have a feeling that maybe I'm the only one shipping my desktop rig over. If everyone else isn't bored of the SR-009/SRM-727A, I can bring that over again. I'll probably bring the TH-900, HP-A8 & Benchmark too.

If there' something that is of no interest to members, please don't be shy & feel free to speak up as it'll make it easier that I don't have to ship that component.

Cheers,
Sean

I chose the red colours for Autumn and because, well, you know what the Japanese are like about colours. I thought it would be more original for this festival if the T-Shirts were a different colour this time.

The rest of the PM convo so it is easy to refer to from here:

Original message sent by sasaki on 9/20/12 at 1:56pm
Hi all,
This time Ray Samuels would come to join us.
Could you share hotel information?
Was the Ginza hotel good?

Best regards,

Sasaki

Original message sent by anakchan on 9/20/12 at 2:38pm
Hmmm...isn't Ginza a little far away from Aoyama? I thought Shibuya would have been better - maybe like Cerulean Tower Tokyu Tower or Mark City's Excel Hotel?

Original message sent by mkubota1 on 9/20/12 at 3:24pm
I think the priority was weighted towards being relatively close to airport transportation (Narita Express, etc.) and walking distance to "stuff to see for 1st time Japan visitors".  I think Shinjuku or near Tokyo Station would be ideal too; although you are never really far away from anything in Tokyo IMO!  
smile.gif
  Wow... two days is sort of like a dream come true- no?

Original message sent by sasaki on 9/20/12 at 11:23pm
Hi thank you for the suggestion. I will ask his preference further.

Regarding the room, I confirmed you can use the room this time too. Also Fujiya will provide you press-passes same as previous.

Now you can send your gears prior to the show like other attendees(ie. headphone companies) if you have Japan address. You can send your gears to forwarder in prior to the show and they will bring your gears to the show on the show day.(or a day before)

So now you have a choice. One is to enter the show place as an attendee. If so, you can enter the show place at 8:00 but please don't visit other booth till 10:00 this is set up time.

From 10:00, press time starts and if you want to enter the show as a press you can enter the show place from this point of time.

Show will be officially open at 11:00 to the public. The first day will end on 19:00. You can leave your gears in the room. The rooms will be locked at 20:00 by Aoyama stuff.

The second day(Oct 28) starts 10:30 till 17:00. You can enter the room on 9:00 morning. (you need any pass to enter)

After the show, you pack your gears into the cardboard box and put return address. I can help you to write return address in Japanese if needed. the box will be returned by payment on receive(chaku-barai).

About the address of the forwarder or other details, I will follow you up later. Let me know if you want to join us as a press or you want to send your gears.

This is a treat from Fujiya-avic for your support to the show. So please help us again as before. 

*don't open this information to the public for a while, this is still confidential. Please discuss within this PM only.

Sasaki

Original message sent by anakchan on 9/21/12 at 11:27am
Sasaki-san,

Yet again, thank you so much for organising that with Fujiya Avic and for the information. It's truly appreciated. Information will be kept private.

So guys, 

Hope you all don't mind me kicking off a conversation here, what would you like to bring? As usual, I'm happy to offer up my Stax SR-009/SRM-727A gear up for the room. I can also add the Fostex HP-A8 in the mix. On the other hand if someone else wants to bring new gear or try other stuff, then I'm happy to leave my components behind to make room. Amos/Gen, personally for me it would be nice to hear your AudioGD Ref 7 gear/(your friend's) Eximus DP1 again.

Cheers,

Sean

Original message sent by gkanai on 9/21/12 at 3:16pm
What are the dates? I'll ask Shin if he's willing to bring his April Music DAC again.

Original message sent by currawong on 9/21/12 at 5:05pm
Sasaki,

You are a champion! Please pass on our sincere gratitude to Fujiya Avic. That offer to send gear too and from the show is awesome too.  I want to try and record a bit of video in the room if people are up for it. Not sure if it'll work. If Anakchan will let me borrow his 14-24mm lens it might be do-able with my D7000.  

A good idea would be if someone could keep an eye out for a clamp-on desk fan (or two) we can attach to the vents of that room to help pump air through.

As for hotels, the Century Southern Tower hotel (Odakyu Building in Shinjuku) was excellent and I plan to stay there again. On the meet day, it was only a few minutes by Taxi to get to the festival. I was going to check if Ken is staying there again this time actually. 

Are people planning to bring much the same gear as last time?

Amos

Original message sent by gkanai on 9/21/12 at 7:10pm
I think the only thing I have that's new that folks might want to try is my ODAC. It's half the size of an iPhone.

Original message sent by currawong on 9/21/12 at 8:18pm
Anakchan,

Though it is tempting to take the shipping offer, the 7.1 is a hot-running beast that takes up a huge amount of space. I'll bring the Calyx DAC and my yet further improved digital transport set-up for it. That will be, for headphones, very close to the Ref 7.1 in capability and the only power required is from a wall wart!

I'll probably bring the balanced DIY amp I built as well as a non-veil pair of LCD-3s which sound quite lively out of it. Not as good as the Phoenix though, but still pretty good and doesn't cook the room it is placed in.

Amos

Original message sent by arnaud on 9/22/12 at 7:52am
Sasaki, it is all much appreciated, especially the early pass! What I remember from the room is that it gets steaming hot, noisy and crowded awfully quick so I am not so sure about trying to bring full rig there again. Some vendors often end up leaving some demo gear so the table becomes a mess 
wink.gif

It'd be much wiser to plan a proper meet with plenty of space and quiet listening conditions imo. We could for example set a target that we fix a date where all/ most can attend through heated discussions on the day of the festival 
wink.gif

Sean, you're bringing your baby? Wait, it's not even a month, bit too early I'd say 
smily_headphones1.gif

Original message sent by currawong on 9/22/12 at 12:07pm
I'd be up for a meet on Friday if people are free. I will still bring the rig so if we demo headphones, we'll have something to plug them in to and the USB hub will be great for DAC comparisons if you guys are still interested. I'll have the NFB-16 and Dragonfly and possibly an O2, so with the ODAC we can compare them at least.

Due to the crowds, I'm planning to try and get to most vendors during the press hour and at the beginning and end of both days when it is less crowded and spend more time in the room trying gear and maybe making a video or two if we can borrow something interesting.

If we can get some kind of fan to clamp onto the vent and leave the door open a little we can reduce the heat in there considerably.

Original message sent by sasaki on 10/7/12 at 8:48pm
I got the forwarder info and procedure document. (though in Japanese)

If you want to send your gears, take this one and let me know it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7531718/headphone-fes-doc.pdf

I will ask the room number of the head-fi HQ and let you know later. specify that room number as the table number.

Sasaki

Original message sent by sasaki on 10/9/12 at 12:44pm
Hi all,
The room nuber is 1007 on 10F.

http://www.sp-aoyama.jp/room/1001_1009.html

Sasaki

Original message sent by currawong on 10/9/12 at 3:15pm
The same as last time. Thanks once again Sasaki for organising this. 
beerchug.gif

Original message sent by mkubota1 on 10/9/12 at 3:34pm
Yes, thank you again Sasaki-san!

I just ordered an Audioengine N22 to see how well it will power my K1000s.  If it works out and if I can figure a way to travel with them safely, I might bring them along.

Original message sent by sasaki on 10/9/12 at 3:36pm
Hi Amos,
Is this ok for you ? I guess you read Japanese.

Sasaki

Original message sent by currawong on 10/9/12 at 6:43pm
Hi Sasaki,

I'm fine with Japanese. Anything I don't understand I just ask my wife or paste into Google Translate or a dictionary. 

I wont be sending anything, just carrying what I did last time more or less.

I'll be bringing a MacBook Air this time though, so we should have more table space. I'll try and remember to bring an SD card reader and other things so if people bring music on a thumb drive or SD card it will be easier for people to try their own music on the various players. I will bring an SD card with WAV files, for example, to try with the Altman Tera player. 

Amos

Original message sent by shigzeo on 10/9/12 at 10:07pm
Altman! Who has one of those? Damn.

Original message sent by currawong on 10/9/12 at 10:38pm
Sasaki does and ALO's distributor is theirs as well. 

Before I forget, should I ask Jude about getting some t-shirts? Does Fujiya Avic want to raffle some again?

Amos

Original message sent by shigzeo on 10/9/12 at 11:50pm
Guess I'll be bringing an SD card, too.

Original message sent by sasaki on 10/9/12 at 11:57pm
I have Altman. I also bring iriver AK100 too 
smily_headphones1.gif
 You will need MicroSD to try AK100.

> Before I forget, should I ask Jude about getting some t-shirts?

Yes they want some of them. Could you ask him?

Sasaki

Original message sent by shigzeo on 10/10/12 at 2:44am
Shall I bring my iPod shuffle 1G? Or, is that too laughable? BTW, Sony PHA-1 review up at TMA

Original message sent by gkanai on 10/10/12 at 2:50am
Nice review! You should make sure that Yoshi and Nao know about your review.

Original message sent by shigzeo on 10/10/12 at 8:07am
Yes, I will. Thanks for the encouragement.

Original message sent by currawong on 10/10/12 at 10:17am
Very good review. Given its performance with high-ohm HPs it might make a nice DAC for a larger amp. Are you bringing it with you? I might add that to my list of things to borrow during the show.  Which reminds me, I've asked Michael Goodman about bringing the M8 and Jude is going to organise t-shirts. I suggested red/dark red ones since it is Autumn, if the colours don't clash too much, for something different.

Original message sent by currawong on 10/10/12 at 2:01pm
Sasaki,

Here is what Jude just emailed me about the T-shirts. It'd be great if people gave feedback on them. He needs an address to mail them to. Can he mail them to Fujiya Avic with something like "Head-Fi T-shirts. Room 1007" on the box?  He also wants to know how many of each style, including sizes. Maybe we all should choose a size and get one of each style (which is what we got last time), plus a few extra for other/new guys, then add to the list whatever Fujiya Avic would like to auction?

Amos

[size=medium]Hi Amos,[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] How do these look?[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] http://www.cafepress.com/headfitokyo.586062739[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] http://www.cafepress.com/headfitokyo.586062708[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The one with the red sleeves is a bit tough to find logo colors to match it with. I changed the purple'ish blue to more of a blue (in the logo).[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Let me know what you think.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Best Regards,

Jude
[/size]

Original message sent by mkubota1 on 10/10/12 at 2:10pm
My vote is for the T-shirt in either Cardinal or Red.  I'm a 'Medium'.

Original message sent by anakchan on 10/10/12 at 2:24pm
My vote will be for the Cardinal or Military Green, M sized too.

Sasaki-san, thx for the coordination with Fujiya. I have a feeling that maybe I'm the only one shipping my desktop rig over. If everyone else isn't bored of the SR-009/SRM-727A, I can bring that over again. I'll probably bring the TH-900, HP-A8 & Benchmark too.

If there' something that is of no interest to members, please don't be shy & feel free to speak up as it'll make it easier that I don't have to ship that component.

Cheers,
Sean

Original message sent by shigzeo on 10/10/12 at 2:48pm
I should be a 'small' t-shirt, at least if these are American sizes. I've got the height, but absolutely no shoulders!

Original message sent by currawong on 10/10/12 at 2:49pm
Jude gave me the go-ahead to create a forum just for us, so everyone who has replied to this PM will be able to access this, plus Jude:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631136/2012-autumn-festival-in-october

You guys can create threads about anything you like and it is private. 

We should continue the discussion there. Anyone else we should add, let me know and I'll do it.

Amos

Original message sent by currawong on 10/10/12 at 3:05pm
I've added a poll in that thread, so it should be easy to get numbers.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 111
This is an excellent forum, Amos, way to go. 

I will be there both days, but again, helping Musica. I will do it on the 27-28th and never do it again. From next May, I'll be all HF/TMA. 

Anyway, I'm 'looking forward' to the show inasmuch as I hate being behind a booth 'helping' customers. 

One thing this time: I want to check out the Emilai booth this time. Amazing stuff on display. May bring my DT880... but i won't be able to hear anything through them will I? Anyone selling a DT770? I'm thinking of buying a pair back since destroying my second pair in 2008.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 111
I'm particularly curious on how the room will be used. Amos, are there plans to invite the vendors to come by the room again? Let's set some goals as to we intend to achieve for the day, and that'll help us decide on how the room will be used - therefore, what to bring. I can kick off a list :-

Goals
1) Networking amongst ourselves and with vendors
2) Head-fi members to listen to each other's gear in a more controlled environment
3) Head-fi members to put our gear somewhere safely
4) Place to demo maker's new products (if they're willing to loan it to us for the day) in a controlled environment

Rules/Guidelines
1) By invite only - as we own the equipment and I'm sure few or none of us have taken explicit insurance on our gear, we may want to be cautious on walk-ins. Of course we could always have the place always attended
2) Food/drinks to be consumed outside (but can be stored inside)
3) Everyone who brings gear, to itemise and serialise your own possessions.

Let me know your thoughts going along these lines is a good idea or too strict, etc.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 111
That's pretty much it I reckon. Last time I had little idea how best to go about things and played it by ear beyond trying to set at least 4 2-hour periods to borrow a particular amp or pair of headphones, so I'm open to suggestions.

I've begun sticking down post-it notes with my name on them to my gear, since some of us were doubling-up. Being that the room was out-of-the-way and some of us were almost always around, we did very well. 

Other than trying to find a clip-on fan to use for the vent to circulate air, maybe a plan would be for each of us to decide on a dedicated period for each of us when we will sit in the room. Exceptions would be the first press-hour on Saturday and lunch times. That way at least one person is always in room so there is less of a worry about safety. If we can bring and/or borrow enough gear, there will be plenty of stuff to try. I know that last time I didn't get enough time to try some of the headphones so forcing myself to stay in the room at a particular time would be a good idea. In fact, I'll volunteer now to sit in the room after lunch both days for an hour or two as required.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 111
Having a tough time following the thread ... we got t-shirts, we got gear, we got hi fi meet.

So when our folks meeting and where?

How do I buy a t-shirt if I order from Japan. I see it is US shipping only.

And as for gear, I'll bring what I got!

Thanks

Skoog

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 111
Skoog, your not buying the shirts, they're on me. But here's the caveat:

I'm not sure if we're on time for me to order them or not. So we want to get the numbers together as soon as possible, so I can do my best to order them in time to get them shipped to Japan in time for the show.

Remember, Amos, that I need to know:

1. The shirt count (sizes, types).
  2. The address to ship it to (where we know they can be held safely, in case they come early).

Best Regards,
Jude
Non-Resident Member, Team Tokyo :)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 111
Jude, labeling seems fine to me. You can ship to my personal address and I can bring a backpack's worth to the show on saturday morning (not planning on bringing any gear this time around). i'll PM you the address.

Cheers,

Arnaud

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 111
skoog: Last time we met at 9am at the venue where Sasaki gave us our press passes. Since we aren't supposed to go and pester people until 10am, it might be a good idea to organise what we want to do for both days.

I set up a Find My Friends event (since everyone had iPhones) so it is easy to locate everyone so we can figure out who is arriving when or meet up at venues after the show and whatnot.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 111
sounds good. 

Hopefully I can make it one of the days.

I dont have an iphone but I can call one of you folks.

Looking forward to getting a head-fi baseball shirt.

*Anak-chans guidelines are clear and correct. I do wonder about the gears safety If unattended (I will be keeping my small amount on me when walking about...I have nothing!! waah). :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 111
Quote:
I hope my nipples don't show...

Manboobs for the win!

Speaking of... when I saw my pics from the last show, I had a 5 o'clock shadow from hell. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 111
Skoog, your not buying the shirts, they're on me. But here's the caveat:

I'm not sure if we're on time for me to order them or not. So we want to get the numbers together as soon as possible, so I can do my best to order them in time to get them shipped to Japan in time for the show.

Remember, Amos, that I need to know:

• The shirt count (sizes, types).
  • The address to ship it to (where we know they can be held safely, in case they come early).

Best Regards,
Jude
Non-Resident Member, Team Tokyo :)

I see Jude,

Thanks for clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back