2016 CanJam RMAF Impressions - Denver
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #61 of 240

For what it is worth, I kind of think as the Omni as a Senn HD650 on steroids, but with a different tone.

That's actually a really interesting description. The Omnis have a lot of the same qualities that I love about the HD 650 (bass, great midrange, very musical, non-fatiguing treble), but the Omni sounds more 'dense' - maybe because it's mostly closed? Superb headphones, both of them.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #62 of 240
This seems to be a common theme of Z1R impressions so far.

Rolled off treble & too polite.

People should try it with the Sony amp and DAC. Their system has nice synergy.

I did for about 30 minutes in their suite. Still quite polite (rolled off), but very nice if you like that sound.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #63 of 240
Hoping someone can tell us their listening assessment for -

oBravo HRIB-1 and HAMT-1

Audioquest new model(s) and description

Ether Flow and Ether-C Flow

Sennheiser HD-800"S"

Sorry, I lost my notebook with all my notes, so everything is from memory.

I've wat he'd this line of AMT headphones since they came out. The full size headphones are odd sounding, and I cannot recommend them. There is a coherence issue between the driver, IMHO.

As for the IEMs, I think the planer dynamic hybrid is the best value. The AMT in and IEM is am amazing feat of ngineering, but it's not worth $4800.

As for the night owl, it's a closed night hawk that was better balanced, not as dark. The spring loaded headband kept pulling the cups up, which I didn't like. If you want closed, like the sound of the nighthawk, and want it a tad lively, the night owl might be for you.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #64 of 240
What is the name of the new $6000 Ultrasone ?

Was It only on static display or could people listen to it ?

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #65 of 240

Don't know about the name, but I"m sure internally, the Ultrasone management calls it "we only have to sell one".

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #66 of 240
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #67 of 240
The Milo sounds fantastic. Quick notes: Very impactful with great dynamics and detail. Really punches hard and deep. Transparency, imaging and soundstage are as good as you will find at the price. Drives both the Abyss and the HE1000 like a dream.... Not sure there is a better option for the Abyss at that price - it certainly makes a compelling case. Lights up planars the way the Headtrip and Enigma do, which is quite special (seriously, try a humble HE400 with a Headtrip sometime, it is VERY eye opening). Absolutely a top notch value in the $1,499-$1,999 class of amps.

Really can't say enough good things about the Milo. It's not for sensitive headphones, but with planars, it is an absolute monster.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm going to be using mine with my LCD-4 and Abyss, so it seems like that should go fairly well. Can't wait to hear it soon. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #68 of 240
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #69 of 240
There wasn't anyone at the booth, so I really didn't learn anything. Nothing bad.

Cool beans. Thanks for sharing the high quality photo!

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #70 of 240
Might be time for you to listen to the gen 2 T1 and T5p, as well as the 1990 and 1770. Beyer has changed their signature and is much less bright.

I tried them all. Too much treble. I bought the 1770 when they came out, and even a friend who mixes a lot commented on the bright treble.

Beyer stuff just isn't my thing.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #71 of 240
Might be time for you to listen to the gen 2 T1 and T5p, as well as the 1990 and 1770. Beyer has changed their signature and is much less bright.

I tried them all. Too much treble. I bought the 1770 when they came out, and even a friend who mixes a lot commented on the bright treble.

Beyer stuff just isn't my thing.

Fair 'nuf. I got the 1770 as well, and it was too dark for me. I ended up selling to a friend who mixes and he went Gaga over it. Different strokes.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #73 of 240

I did listen to them and ummm, they were okay. 
redface.gif

In all seriousness, taking the price out of the picture, it was the best sounding Ultrasone that I heard at their table (auditioned around five different pairs).  The biggest take-away from this model was that it was ultra-smooth compared to their other offerings, which all tended to be a bit peaky and bright.  The resolution was great, detail was stellar, and nothing struck me as a major weakness.

Now, taking the price into consideration.  To me it did not sound significantly better than the majority of ~$1,500 - $2,000 headphones on the market currently, but with more time and in-depth comparison, I would say it would hold its weight in this general league and would come down to personal tastes in the end.  However, it seemed like the exact same housing as all the other high-end models they offer, at much better prices I might add, which is both comfy and light, but generally feels a bit flimsy.  I believe the salesman told me that the cups are made out of something rare and expensive and that they have some additional expensive highlights (such as with the markers to tell you how to put them on, etc.).  Then they come with that fancy case and a nice twisted silver cable... those two items alone must be worth at least three grand right!

All in all, I see this as a headphone for those who not only want to have the best, but want to flaunt it too.  Sort of like the Vmoda crazy Crossfade badges made out of diamonds, gold, and precious stones.  For 99% of headphone fanatics out there, your money would be better spent elsewhere, which I hope is obvious.  Let that super rich guy, who nobody likes because they push their wealth into peoples' faces any chance they get, be the one to pick them up and you be the one to turn your back and laugh at the whole idea when it happens.

However, it was cool to try out such an expensive pair though and the Ultrasone guys were both very friendly and informative... I actually felt a little weird for a moment while I was handling them; found myself looking for the nearest exit, just in case someone bumped me and I snapped them in two on the table or something!

Edit:  I actually don't remember the model name unfortunately... additional edit, informed by @Hansotek that they are called the Jubilee 25 and that 250 were made.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #75 of 240
ZMF Atticus versus Eikon

Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in ZMF's two new offerings I thought I'd expand a little on my initial impressions.  I need to stress that these are only initial impressions and based upon the music/gear at Zach's table as well as a semi-noisy environment.  I did use two separate tracks, one focused on the entire spectrum and another focused more on the lower mids and bass.

To me, the Atticus and Eikon were much more similar than they were different, both being a tad bit towards the dark-side, with a smoothness and natural presentation that was as inviting as it was engaging.  The Atticus seemed to have a small dip somewhere in the high end, which brought the mids up and center a bit more than the Eikon.  I believe this is what gave me the impression that the mids were a bit better and fuller on the Atticus than the Eikon.  The Atticus also seemed to have a hump in the lower mid-range or upper bass, which gave it the impression of having a more powerful low end, while the Eikon appeared to be more balanced down low.  However, at times the Atticus' bass was a bit uncontrolled compared to the Eikon, causing some resonance to occur that interfered with the mids; not necessarily boomy nor muddy, but enough to cause some vibrations in the cups that at times distupted the rest of the low end.  To me, this isn't always a negative as I quite enjoy genres were the more bass resonance, the better, for example ambient dub.  The sound-stage on the Atticus also seemed a bit recessed compared to the Eikon, but it was subtle.  So, to sum up my impressions of the Eikon, to me it was a bit cleaner, but also a bit thinner overall, with more control over the bass at times, if not quite as powerful down low than the Atticus, and with more of a sparkle up top, or at least not as rolled off or dipped.  The sound-stage was also a bit deeper and to me more pleasant overall than the Atticus, however this can easliy be changed with the right equipement/tubes.

Again, they are quite similar, so it really comes down to both taste and what styles of music you enjoy the most.  Both were excellent in the end and it would be hard for me to choose one over the other.  Since I already own a pair of HD650s, I guess I may opt for the Eikon in the end if money wasn't an issue.

Below are also a few additional pictures of both:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back