[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,816 of 7,442
Welcome Nafis :). Glad to see you're boarding the VE train - definitely the best choice I made thanks to Head-Fi. Some nice KZ IEMs too, but the sound quality & price/performance the Monks deliver is really on another level. Though fit can be tricky sometimes it's SO worth the while :). Listening to Dire Straits - Dire Straits Remastered album with the Monks as I type, and I still struggle to understand how much audible delight these buds bring me. On my budget I didn't expect to arrive anywhere 'hifi' - I remember listening to headphones on my dad's system over 20 yrs ago (can't remember what it was, but he did his research & that's where his spare $'s went - decent quality receiver & amp with some good old Sennheiser headphones). Ofcourse times moved on, but I honestly don't believe it sounded nearly as amazing as these Monks.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,817 of 7,442
Welcome Nafis :). Glad to see you're boarding the VE train - definitely the best choice I made thanks to Head-Fi. Some nice KZ IEMs too, but the sound quality & price/performance the Monks deliver is really on another level. Though fit can be tricky sometimes it's SO worth the while :). Listening to Dire Straits - Dire Straits Remastered album with the Monks as I type, and I still struggle to understand how much audible delight these buds bring me. On my budget I didn't expect to arrive anywhere 'hifi' - I remember listening to headphones on my dad's system over 20 yrs ago (can't remember what it was, but he did his research & that's where his spare $'s went - decent quality receiver & amp with some good old Sennheiser headphones). Ofcourse times moved on, but I honestly don't believe it sounded nearly as amazing as these Monks.
Thanks a lot buddy! This type of comments have made my expectations go sky rocket!! :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,818 of 7,442
Hello Friends

This is my first post on Head-Fi!!
I will be receiving my Monks tomorrow.
I really have high expectations from them hope they deliver!! :)

Yes, indeed the Monks are that good. And for $5, just incredible. Taketh ye ole time getting the fit right, it will be worth the effort. And welcome!

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #1,820 of 7,442
Thanks for the suggestion. Does the full and donut foam have different sound signature?

Yes, in my experience. The donuts sound more open. The full foam "cover" the sound, muddling it IMO.

I believe @Lorspeaker used a hot nail to put four small holes in the full foam covers, which opened the sound up according to her. I am going to try that, too.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,821 of 7,442
yes.....and orientate the 4holes to the constellation Orion, 
the soundstage will blow your imagination. 

tongue_smile.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #1,824 of 7,442
Just reciving mines today.

And enjoying it with this:

I'm not a eardbud guy and the fit is a little tricky but once you get it (in my case like pulpfiction avatar)... you found the bass and detail and get ready to enjoy. Impressed with soundstage that can deliver the monks and the bass if you get the perfect seal. I only can imagine what a driver like monk's driver would deliver on a iem without the limitations that a eardbuds has.
100% Recomended, 5$...?? oh boy...

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #1,825 of 7,442
Just broke my first pair of Monk's from a careless move..The plug itself broke, and the connection with the cable must have severed from the inside leading to sound only coming from the left bud. I guess I see why a 90degree plug could come in useful now :D !! Ordered 3 pairs in the first order and gave one away so I'm down to my last pair! ...Put in an order of 5 pairs straight away, plus 3x black silicon earguide pairs (Easy Earphones - AE) AND three of these puppies:

Should be able to lead the straight jack (or DUNU impedance adapter I may want to use) safely out of my pocket and keep them out of harms way, especially when plugged into the smaller Xduoo X2 that's on the way.

Found that cable here by the way in case anyone is interested :wink: !
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32262817004.html?productId=32262817004&productSubject=DC3-5mm-Male-to-Female-Extension-stereo-Audio-Cable-15cm-90-Degree-Angled&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,826 of 7,442
Just broke my first pair of Monk's from a careless move..The plug itself broke, and the connection with the cable must have severed from the inside leading to sound only coming from the left bud. I guess I see why a 90degree plug could come in useful now :D !! Ordered 3 pairs in the first order and gave one away so I'm down to my last pair! ...Put in an order of 5 pairs straight away, plus 3x black silicon earguide pairs (Easy Earphones - AE) AND three of these puppies:

Should be able to lead the straight jack (or DUNU impedance adapter I may want to use) safely out of my pocket and keep them out of harms way, especially when plugged into the smaller Xduoo X2 that's on the way.

Found that cable here by the way in case anyone is interested :wink: !
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32262817004.html?productId=32262817004&productSubject=DC3-5mm-Male-to-Female-Extension-stereo-Audio-Cable-15cm-90-Degree-Angled&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail
Try this...

100% Original BGVP-ABC Earphone Cable Earphone Upgrade Silver Plated Cable , ABC Detach Cable
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZBN7V3uE

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,827 of 7,442
Listening to Rare Earth's "Ma" right now on my rock boxed clip+ and monks and my goodness do these jam! I stuffed the stock red foams with some thinner black foams to equalize them to my preference and the results are perfect. Now I didn't wrap the blacks around the housing but left them flat so they add two more layers in front of housing, the Reds have plenty of stretch to accommodate. They fit snugger providing more bass while softening the upper mids/ lower treble just a tad. Perfecto!

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,828 of 7,442
At last they have arrived! What can I say - KUDOS to Lee! :)

Soundstage is almost similar to my favourite sonys. Not an Aiwa Hp-V99 (nor would it has to be), but more than decent, top quality stereo imaging from a bud.
The frequency response, the depth, the details...are outstanding. 5 dollars are not just a steal, but a ridiculous paradox of our age.
They seriously deserve their place here, they are a remedy for anyone who would need the $100-150 category sound but cannot/woul not pay that amount of money for it.
Again, Monks FTW! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back