$2500 MAX total budget (including headphones) -- looking for something to pair with Aeon Flow C
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MrMoose0987

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

So, a bit about what I'm looking for, and a decision I've been agonizing over. I'm looking for a setup that I can take with me to work daily, use around the house and take with me when I travel for work (every 6-8 weeks basically). My computer desktop setup is one I already love (HD650 + Gustard H10 + Modi DAC). This new setup is for everything other than when I'm at my computer desk. Essentially, I'm not looking for 100% portable bus/plane use, as I have some Bose QC35 that fill that need (I hate cords when I'm on a plane or bus). I am looking to find a tube sounding setup, basically. Source at work and when I'm being portable is going to be a 13 inch MacBook Pro (with the USB-C ports, but I have a dongle to convert it to USB). So whatever I get needs to support USB input (or be convertible to USB).

I'm almost definitely decided on the Aeon Flow C for the headphones. They fit my portability needs (they're not traditional portable, but it is fine for me to toss them into my backpack when I go to work, or even pack them in my luggage). Anything I choose needs to be over ear, because I cannot do on ear for long. I also have a hard time with IEMs for longer periods (I've tried a few in each category, including some Noble K10 -- loved the sound, but after an hour I had to take them out, and this is with the customs). So if there's something better than the Flow C, let me hear it!

The Amp/Dac is what I'm having the hardest time with. I've been looking at the WA8 Eclipse and the Alo CDM. From what I've read, the Eclipse will do a great job of getting me the sound signature I'm after and provide more than enough power for the Flow C. The CDM is cheaper, but is not really as "tube sounding" -- but DOES have rollable tubes so it might be possible to accomplish that? However, I'm also not sure if this can't be accomplished much cheaper.

Essentially, my budget cap is right around 2500 bucks. I'd LIKE to keep this lower if I can -- getting into the $1500 range would be great -- but I'm willing to spend if it is the ideal setup for me.

Would love some opinions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back