2k budget
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 10
It completely depends on what you're going for. What kind of music do you listen to? What do you want in headphones? The HD800 is very detailed, and some consider a bit bright, but has a massive soundstage. It's definitely not a headphone I would consider for me if I listened to alot of electronic music and wanted some rumbly bass. What do you want out of them?

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Are they really too bright? I'm looking for detailed mids and highs with decent bass. Not too overpowering but not unnoticeable bass either. I want them to have a decent soundstage and to be great for female vocals. I have a pair of Shure 1840 and I find the highs to be a little harsh at times

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 10
It completely depends on what you're going for. What kind of music do you listen to? What do you want in headphones? The HD800 is very detailed, and some consider a bit bright, but has a massive soundstage. It's definitely not a headphone I would consider for me if I listened to alot of electronic music and wanted some rumbly bass. What do you want out of them?

I want them to be great for movies and games. Looking for them to be good for j/kpop.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Are they really too bright? I'm looking for detailed mids and highs with decent bass. Not too overpowering but not unnoticeable bass either. I want them to have a decent soundstage and to be great for female vocals. I have a pair of Shure 1840 and I find the highs to be a little harsh at times

Brightness on a headphone is a personal preference. Some call it detail and air. Many think the HD800 is fantastic, and not bright. Either way, they are on the brighter side of things. Fo what I listen to, I don't have much use for them except classical music. Though the imaging and soundstage for EDM is cool, just not enough bass for me. 
Quote:
I want them to be great for movies and games. Looking for them to be good for j/kpop.

It is my personal opinion that the HD800 won't be punchy like you want for j/kpop, and might be a little too revealing/cold for movies and games. Again, this is my personal preference. I think the Fostex TH900 will be a far more fun all-rounder for you. Problem is, you've blown most of your budget right there. But unlike the HD800, it doesn't need a great amp to shine. It'll sound great out of most anything. Power with a Fiio E9 for now and upgrade later if you want. It's my opinion the TH900 + Fiio will be more fun and relevant to you than HD800 + A1.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Hey I got a $2000 budget and am about to order the sennheiser hd800 with the byerdynamic A1 amp. Are there better options

Heya,

$2,000 for vanilla, chocolate or strawberry?

There are better options, if those options have a signature or synergy that your ears like better. Everything is a flavor at this price point. Nothing is better than another. It's simply different options. I assume you want something neutral, with a huge sound stage, bright treble, when you go for the HD800. Where as if you were going for something darker, heavier in bass, warmer, then maybe you'd consider the LCD2 for example. There's a lot of options headphone wise of course, but even more options when it comes to amplifiers and DACs and it's all about synergy at this price point, not just getting "the best" for the money.

I hope you get to listen before you buy.
And I hope you do more research before you buy.

Very best,

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Brightness on a headphone is a personal preference. Some call it detail and air. Many think the HD800 is fantastic, and not bright. Either way, they are on the brighter side of things. Fo what I listen to, I don't have much use for them except classical music. Though the imaging and soundstage for EDM is cool, just not enough bass for me. 

It is my personal opinion that the HD800 won't be punchy like you want for j/kpop, and might be a little too revealing/cold for movies and games. Again, this is my personal preference. I think the Fostex TH900 will be a far more fun all-rounder for you. Problem is, you've blown most of your budget right there. But unlike the HD800, it doesn't need a great amp to shine. It'll sound great out of most anything. Power with a Fiio E9 for now and upgrade later if you want. It's my opinion the TH900 + Fiio will be more fun and relevant to you than HD800 + A1.

An alternative to the TH-900 more in his budget could be the MarkL Level 3 Denon D5000 or D7000. Add a Matrix M-Stage and a decent DAC and you've got a pretty good set for under $2000.

I have to agree with MalVeauX, though, it's essentially chocolate vs. strawberry at this point. If you're spending that kind of cash, I'd find a way to try each headphone and make your decision from there.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Maybe I'll save my money and get the t1 it looks like those are everything I'm looking for

Quote:
Another possibility is hfi man he500 with Schiit Lyr Hybrid Headphone Amplifier
by Schiit

See, now you're jumping to different flagships, none of which you've listened to.

Maybe try and describe what kind of sound you're looking for and we can help you find the right headphone assuming you can't listen to any of them?

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back