300$-500$ Closed Back Headphones Recommendations
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mimtos

New Head-Fier
Looking for a closed back recommendation around 300$-500$ which will be powered by a Schiit modi/magni stack. I already have a HD6xx but need a closed back pair for when it gets loud in my house. Currently eyeing up a Shure SRH1540 or Denon AH-D5200, any thoughts? I'd prefer a sound signature that's different from the HD6xx. If you guys had any you wanted to sell, please pm and maybe we can make a deal. New to this forum but I have reddit reputation.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Looking for a closed back recommendation around 300$-500$ which will be powered by a Schiit modi/magni stack. I already have a HD6xx but need a closed back pair for when it gets loud in my house. Currently eyeing up a Shure SRH1540 or Denon AH-D5200, any thoughts? I'd prefer a sound signature that's different from the HD6xx. If you guys had any you wanted to sell, please pm and maybe we can make a deal. New to this forum but I have reddit reputation.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 19
Denon AH-D7200 should be doable at $500 used. They're easily my favorite closed backs at that price point. You can probably find the Focal Elegia used like new around $400, maybe a little less, as they were on close out at $400 for a while. That would be my second choice - a little sharp on the highs compared to the D7200, but you may actually enjoy that signature more - I'm pretty treble sensitive. Both will be a significantly different sound than the Sennheisers.

Edit: Adorama has the Elegia as open box for $419. https://www.adorama.com/us1283899.html?CategoryID=204785

Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

Open back. He specifically asked for closed.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 19
Denon AH-D7200 should be doable at $500 used. They're easily my favorite closed backs at that price point. You can probably find the Focal Elegia used like new around $400, maybe a little less, as they were on close out at $400 for a while. That would be my second choice - a little sharp on the highs compared to the D7200, but you may actually enjoy that signature more - I'm pretty treble sensitive. Both will be a significantly different sound than the Sennheisers.

Edit: Adorama has the Elegia as open box for $419. https://www.adorama.com/us1283899.html?CategoryID=204785

Open back. He specifically asked for closed.

How are the Shure SHR 1540s? I found a like new one for $300 or should I just go and get the Elegia? I forgot to mention that I'm a glasses user too, so comfort is important with glasses.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 19
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 19
How are the Shure SHR 1540s? I found a like new one for $300 or should I just go and get the Elegia? I forgot to mention that I'm a glasses user too, so comfort is important with glasses.
I am not familiar with the Shures so can't give an honest answer there. I also wear glasses and find the Elegia very comfortable. Note that the stock cable is fairly short and stiff, so you should probably plan on a replacement at some point.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 19
I don’t have enough experience to compare sound signatures, but I did take months to answer, find, and purchase my own “$300-$500 closed back options for Hohmslice” headphones. I decided lightly used was fine, so my options boiled down to Fostex, Denon, Mese Audio, and a few others. Comfort and bass where priorities, I wanted a fun, v-shaped, forgiving set that sounds great with more bass demanding tunes like reggae, techno, and hip-hop. Was about to get some Fostex TH610 or X00(?) when I was reading about the Meze 99 Classics…long story short—I’m sooo happy with my 99 Classics. Never tried the Fostex so I can’t compare, but I’m so pleased with the 99s there is barely even a curiosity left. If it wasn’t on your radar, I’d suggest checking them out. Super comfortable, great bottom, $300’ish, and doubt it would be hard to move it along if you didn’t like it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 19
I had the Elegia and glasses made it imo absolutely not usable because it's very dependant on the seal. Glasses will almost destroy every closed back headphone. How large are yours? I'd recommend you to try the AKG K371 or stay with the 5200. I think the 371 could sound similar to the 6XX though.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 19
I don’t have enough experience to compare sound signatures, but I did take months to answer, find, and purchase my own “$300-$500 closed back options for Hohmslice” headphones. I decided lightly used was fine, so my options boiled down to Fostex, Denon, Mese Audio, and a few others. Comfort and bass where priorities, I wanted a fun, v-shaped, forgiving set that sounds great with more bass demanding tunes like reggae, techno, and hip-hop. Was about to get some Fostex TH610 or X00(?) when I was reading about the Meze 99 Classics…long story short—I’m sooo happy with my 99 Classics. Never tried the Fostex so I can’t compare, but I’m so pleased with the 99s there is barely even a curiosity left. If it wasn’t on your radar, I’d suggest checking them out. Super comfortable, great bottom, $300’ish, and doubt it would be hard to move it along if you didn’t like it.

I actually had the Meze 99 classics on my list but it's around 150-200$ in the used market so not around my budget range. I'll do more research on it though.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 19
Looking for a closed back recommendation around 300$-500$ which will be powered by a Schiit modi/magni stack. .

There are some at that price range such as Drop Pandas, Sony MDR1a M2, Audeze Mobius and Fostex T60 RP :beyersmile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 19
With glasses, maybe try the DCA Aeon RT Closed. Their pads are quite thick and soft so they might wrap around your glasses pretty well. They sound quite good and have nice imagine but the sound is like in your head. So if you're looking for an open/spacious sounding headphone, these are not it.

I really like the Elegia but they absolutely require EQ IMO and additionally I'm not sure how well they'll do with glasses. They're more rigid and the pads aren't super thick. Additionally, I had to add extra padding to the headband to make them comfortable.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 19
This would be easier to recommend if you provided a little more information as to what you want or prefer sound wise. Different from the 6XX isn't a whole lot to go off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back