4-Way Quick Comparison( Xears, Dunu x2, Radius)
Jun 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
This is just a quick comparison among these four IEMs I have on hand.

From L to R: Radius HP-TWF21, Dunu Trident, Xears CP100ip, and Dunu Hephaes

I purchased the Xears and have the Radius on loan. The Dunu are review samples.

The comparison was done with the four earphones compared on four unamped sources of various signatures; an SRF-M37V radio (most neutral sounding), a Clip+ (some more warmth), a Sony S639 (slightly warmer darker than Clip+), and an NF-610 Minidisc recorder (warmest signature of the bunch). No EQ is applied.

Radius HP-TWF21
The Radius has some improvements over the previous version. More clarity, fit is much improved, sound is more cohesive and detail is spread more evenly across the spectrum. Treble is a bit more upfront. All is not well though, AFAIC. Price has gone way up, build is only decent for the price, and the unique presentation from the first version is pretty much gone. To quote ClieOS, they are nowhere near as "euphonic".

Synergy is b*tch and you can have people saying JVC FX67 are better than the DBA-02 with a particular match. The Radius came in third and fourth with two of these sources and while technically as good or better than any of the four phones, they were an overall disappointment factoring the price is $150 greater than the next cheapest phone(the $100 Hephaes) and the build quality which is barely better than the Xears and behind both Dunu.

The unique separation/layering of the first version is gone. The TWF21 images in a smaller range(from front to back) and sounds laid back and even a bit distant at times compared to the others phones here. The treble is both more apparent than the first version but being laid back does not help detail shine through. Could still use a notch of treble EQ. What they do best of this bunch are resolving power, texture, timbre, and comfort.

Dunu Trident
This ~$50 overachiever matches well with most sources and while less resolving than the Radius or their big brother they have an upfront sound and make the detail they have quite easy to hear closing the gap with more resolving phones. The big stage and air this phone has makes for a 3-D presentation and a more euphonic phone. More enjoyable than the Radius, mostly in being upfront compared to the TWF-21 making the Radius seem distant at times and too laid back. The Trident at times seems to be the clarity champs of the bunch due to it's crispness and energy.

Things the Trident does best of this bunch are separation, PRaT, enjoyment, crispness.

Xears Communicate CP100ip
Reports of the CP100ip thrashing the old Xears models, HJE900's, and being as good as the SM3 are a bit exaggerated but with continued burn-in they belong in this group and may get better still. 50 hours ago, they were on the outside looking in.

The Xears have the most bass amount and the largest soundstage of this bunch. The highest sensitivity shows the most hiss if present on source and can even reveal button press signal noises on my S639. They newer Xears have much better treble than before and improved build quality and tips. There is still the driver flex issue.

Along with the big stage they share great separation and air with the Trident. The two cheapest phones are the most open sounding; Trident has the slight edge on separation while the Xears has the overall bigger stage size. The Xears are further back than the Trident in their presentation and closer in than the Radius. The Xears and Hephaes share a more in-between distance that most should prefer. Neither laid back or up front. The CP100ip also have good quickness and a very dynamic sound with good energy trailing only the Trident at times. Probably shows the least deatil of the bunch but at times their sensitivity will still let you hear something the others don't. The Xears have the most safe signature of the bunch. Not as soft in the treble as the Radius, not as energetic/crisp as the Trident. Not as up front as the Trident nor as laid back as the radius. They have the most bass and authority down low but it is well done and not excessive.

As usual, the Xears are safe bet and a real good deal. They are slightly cheaper than the Trident at times(I paid $40 shipped). Things they do best; stage size, price, like-ability of the signature, the only one here with a Mic.

Dunu Hephaes
The Tridents' big brother boast the best build quality of the bunch. The best overall extension over the Radius. The best transparency of the bunch also. Stage wise they have the best width and depth but are kind of narrow top to bottom. Separation is well done but more akin to the TWF-21 and not as spaced out as the two cheaper phones. The Hephaes images more accurately than the Radius and shows more treble detail. The Radius shows more texture and bass detail. In the battle of two more expensive phones, they both show more resolving power. The two beat each other at different things. Radius has a taller stage, Hephaes a wider and deeper one. Radius has more texture and bass detail. Hephaes has more treble detail and more transparency. Pretty much a draw in overall technical ability. One(Radius) is more smooth and relaxing and the other is more accurate and analytical. I find the two most "able" phones less enjoyable than the other two as far as being engaging.

Things the Hephaes does best; accuracy, depth, build quality, extension, imaging.

Overall:
Basically the two cheap upstarts show you don't need to spend a lot to get a solid phone. The Radius is a good phone but I feel it is overpriced. Xears continues to provide great bang for the buck and is showing improved build and sound than previous models. The Trident I previously reviewed continues to impress me. The big brother Hephaes is twice the price but brings more tips, ear guides, more cases, and slightly better build quality, and technically better sound making them worth their around $100 price tag. Still, gimme the Trident out of the whole bunch. They are most fun/enjoyable, inexpensive, second best in build quality, quite close in technical ability, and have the cool factor(though that is subjective, your opinion may vary).   

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the review. I should receive my DUNUs in a day or two. It will be fun to listen to them both and compare them to the BA based DUNU.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Dunus huh?  Another brand I will have to look into...

Trident's sound like the perfect back-up or on the go pair;  maybe a new bang for the buck challenger.  Looking forward to reading more.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I know some more people including ClieOS are getting review pairs. Look forward to some confirmation that the Trident are a top bang-for-buck contender. All four are good phones well worth having.

I'll have to get around to comparing the Ares/Crius with the Trident/Hephaes. I do like the Trident housing best of all four(nice aesthetics and good fit) as well as enjoy them the most for sheer fun. The Hephaes have the best overall SQ of the bunch. So, I guess I can say that I like the second pair better than first so far for different reasons.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 6
I received them yesterday and already put them to burn-in. So far the build quality is still rock solid, and my first sonic impression also mirror that of jant71 but I'll wait after the burn-in to give it more listening.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the review.  I just ordered the Trident based on your excellent review.  I also wanted to try the Ares so I ordered one also.  Hopefully I will get some courage and review the phones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back