5G vs. 4G iPod: With Westone UM2
Oct 26, 2005 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this may come as a rare opinion, but let me explain. I have Westone UM2's which are considered "bass-heavy" IEM's. They sound quite good on my 40gb iPod Photo. The bass roll-off is not noticable to me with the UM2's.

The other sound defects that plague the 4G iPod have been dealt with on the 5G, so this is good news to many. I don't have any of the issues personally, like the bass roll-off, hdd noise, or distortion with high treble (like piano). All these were fixed when I purchased a $5 in-line volume attenuator from Radio Shack. I simply dial up the resistance until all those previously noted problems go away.

Note: I am not using an external amp, I just plug the attenuator into the headphone out and then my UM2's into that.

My roommate just got a new 5G 30gb iPod. I listened to identical tracks on both iPods that were taken from my iTunes library. The songs were too bass-heavy on the 5G, IMO. It sounded muddy to me. This may be good news to all of you with bass-deficient phones: There is more bass on the 5G!

Well this whole episode made me content the iPod I have now. Though the video feature is quite cool! I hope this helps someone out before they take the plunge and purchase a new 5G. -CK

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 18
ck, this is both fantastic and terrible news for me!! I have the 5g video iPod and was set on buying the Shure E4's, before it was brought up that I should just opt for dual driver IEM's right away, due to the lack of bass in the E4's, as well as the limited soundstage. So I began looking at the UE5's. But now, it seems that I might not need the bass of the Ultimate Ears or the UM2's, and that it infact might be too much! I am once again lost.
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Sorry this caused you more confusion about what to buy. Right now I use treble boost on my iPod and I like the balance. I get plenty of bass and good treble as well. I found the bass to be a little over-powering on the 5G iPod. It seemed to mask much of the spectrum. So...the e4c may be better suited for the "improved" bass of the new iPod.

-CK

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 18
Kidkoala, the E4's don't sound too great out of the iPod's headphone out. You'll see that many people who gave bad reviews to the E4's have used it with the iPod. E4's sound great with bassy source like Sony players. The iPod's sound is more focused on mids and treble I feel. On another note if you plan to use the E4's with the iPod, you definately have to use some sort of line out into a decent amp to get some kickass sound out of the iPod.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 18
i think the problem lies within ipod 5G now...
apple have improved its volume and bass for 5G
i believe he's confused because will earphone like UE super.fi 5 pro and UM2 still sound as good as they were on 4G. I'm also quite frustrated on this as well. I chose UE super.fi 5 pro because its optimized for ipod (models before 5G) I dont like earphone that lack of bass (dont need to be loud, but tight and warm) or earphone that has too much bass which muddle the mid/high.
Please help us out, 5G owners >_<

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 18
Wow this sounds interesting.

I was thinking selling my 4G and get a 5G because I thought it has better sound. However, it seems now a bad idea if I am planning to use UM2 with it.

Anyone tried UE10 Pro on 5G? How is it compare to 4G? I remember the ilounge reviewer said after some careful listen, the the bass did improved, so I thought the improvement is little.

Oct 26, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 18
Just try and EQ the phones, the superfi have recessed treble and are bass heavy but if these has been fixed/ improved on the 5G ipod I have been using the treble booster which helps on my 4G, with the new ipod we may have to use a different setting - try to put on Bass Reducer.

More info is needed, help us out you lucky 5G owners, are there new setting that bring out the Superfi & UM2's ... It sounds like the E4 will now have the optimum synergy with the 5G, whereas the 4G was better married to the 4G (except for acoustic and classical)
#
From what I have heard IMHO etc etc

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 18
I will help you!

The 5G iPod and the Shure E4 are made for each other. They are really brilliant. I do find it strange however that the "official" reviews seem to downplay the fact that the 5G has incredibly improved bass performance over a 4G Color. It is almost like night and day...

I do have to note that I am no basshead. It is not too much not too little, the sound is just incredibly good. Overall the way people experience sound is very subjective. It is a fact however, that the bass performance is improved over the 4G. Subjective (my opinion) is that the Shure E4 and the 5G make music sound more engaging and more musical. The E4 with 4G sounded a bit dull to me, the sound of the 5G is more aggressive.

All in all you must get my drift, I am happy
icon10.gif
!

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 18
quote from iloungr review
"In testing with a collection of lossless tracks and the UE-10 Pros, small but noticeable enhancements of the bass are definitely apparent, giving tracks an inoffensively warmer sound."

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosaru
quote from iloungr review
"In testing with a collection of lossless tracks and the UE-10 Pros, small but noticeable enhancements of the bass are definitely apparent, giving tracks an inoffensively warmer sound."

I believe if iloungr test using e4c, they will not say small improvement. I have UE10 Pro, and I find it not as sensitive to amp as e4c.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I believe if iloungr test using e4c, they will not say small improvement. I have UE10 Pro, and I find it not as sensitive to amp as e4c.

That explaines a lot. I found it it quite strange that they only said there was a small improved. I found the difference as I stated quite big.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 18
I did try the Bass Reducer EQ on the 5G with my UM2's. It sounded more like my 4G with Treble Booster, but there was almost too little bass. I have not had the chance to spend that much time with the 5G since it belongs to my roommate, but there very well may be an EQ solution for us UM2/E5C/Super-fi. users.

-CK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back