$90~$130 Headphones Advice Request
Nov 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

brunoyujikc

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am going to be as objective as possible so not to take a lot of your time.

BUDGET: $90~$130.

GENRE: Classical, Instrumental (like OSTs, Yann Tiersen, Joe Hisaishi, Ryuichi Sakamoto, etc.), Rock (lots of styles, except for metal, thrash, death and similar), Folk, Jazz, Blues and a little pop.

CAN BE AMPED (I have a Fiio E10).

CLOSED BACK (Use at work with noise from refrigeration system, so no sound leakage and some sound isolation).

COMFORTABLE AND GOOD FOR LONG USE UNDER MILD HEAT (25C~29C/77F~84F when A/C is off).

OPTIONALS: Detachable cable / Collapsible.

Source will be a MacBook Pro hooked to the Fiio E10.

I was thinking about the ATH-M50s, but I have no way to try, plus it seems to be a little uncomfortable and not good to use under heat (due to sweating), although these are just my conclusions from reading other people. So do you guys have any other good recommendations?

Oh and I own a Sennheiser HD598 and I like it very much. It can feel sometimes a tad bright and the bass is a bit lacking (I am not a basshead but I miss a little for the timpani, double bass, cello, etc.). But overall I really enjoy it, just so you know what kind of headphones I like. Unfortunately I am a poor student with no money to buy expensive equipment.

I would also like to say that the recommendations thread is too messy and it's impossible to get a good recommendation in it. Too many people post there, so unless you spam the thread you won't be heard, to me that's just complete chaos. I tried twice using it and only got one good, but not very helpful, response.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help me make this very important decision.

ps.: I'll check the sound power of the refrigeration system I'll be working with and post it later.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I have found the Sony MDR-7506 to be a good all around headphone in that price range.  However, you will want to swap out the stock ear pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250 Velour ear pads instead.  The stock ones make your ears sweat.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think the Sony MDR-7506 really fits my needs. It seems to be more bass emphasized and the cord is very long.
I'll be using it at work, probably sitting at my desk or very close to my source (3-5 ft or 1-2 m), by the way I'll use my MacBook Pro hooked to the Fiio E10 as my source.

Oh and I just found out I'll be working with a relatively noisy refrigeration system on my research, so I need something with some noise isolation. I wanted to find some alternatives to the ATH-M50, since so many people say they are overrated and there are better choices.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Try the Jaycar Pro Monitor headphones. They're a carbon copy of the Brainwavs HM5 (same factory, same housing, same drivers, even the same carrying case), so even if the 10ft stock cable is too long, you can order a shorter one from MP4Nation (detachable cables ftw). Sonically, it's a very neutral can with a very developed soundstage, especially for a closed-back can. Plus, they're only $50, $70 shipped from Australia.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh, this cans look really nice. But I don't know if I can buy them, I can't ship them to my country, since they charge about 60% taxes on the value of the products plus shipping. And it would be something like $160-$170. Also I couldn't find them anywhere in the USA, since I going to stay there for a couple of weeks in December.
A pity the Brainwavs HM5 are $140 on amazon and I just couldn't find the FA-003. 
By the way, do you know if these cans are worth it for $130-ish or do you think they are worth only if I can get them for lower prices from Australia?

If they are not worth it I'll have to keep looking for another headphone ;(

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a lot, but...

Damn, man. Now I don't know if I should go for the AKG K271 MKII or for the Brainwavz HM5. They are the same price from amazon, but the HM5 comes with a load of accessories. I gave up on the HFI 780 because it doesn't seem to fit my musical taste and the A700X, although receiving very positive reviews has that annoying Wing design which I just can't stand.

The pros to the AKG K271 MKII to me seem to be its great mids and highs, comfortable fit and the velour pads, I'm not fond of pleather. And it looks pretty nice.
The cons are the muddy bass (as I've read) and it goes only to 16 Hz. 

Now the Brainwavz HM5 is praised as a well balanced headphone, quite comfortable, amazingly it has the same weight as the AKG K271 MKII. The only downside is that it looks quite bulky and I wanted velour pads, I hate sweating ears.

Do you think it's possible to exchange the HM5's pads for velour? And where do I get velour pads for it (It can't be from outside of the USA).

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
The pros to the AKG K271 MKII to me seem to be its great mids and highs, comfortable fit and the velour pads, I'm not fond of pleather. And it looks pretty nice.
The cons are the muddy bass (as I've read) and it goes only to 16 Hz. 

Now the Brainwavz HM5 is praised as a well balanced headphone, quite comfortable, amazingly it has the same weight as the AKG K271 MKII. The only downside is that it looks quite bulky and I wanted velour pads, I hate sweating ears.

Do you think it's possible to exchange the HM5's pads for velour? And where do I get velour pads for it (It can't be from outside of the USA).

Heya,

Good luck finding a headphone that can actually do 16hz with any kind of authority or ability for you to even hear it. Don't look at range specs, they're completely false. Most high ends can barely drop less than 30hz before it turns to a bunch of flubbing. Even seriously expensive subwoofers have trouble with 20h~25hz. If your headphone can perform 30hz reasonably well, you're going to be 99.9% fine for all bass, ever. And it will do it. Just not with the kind of authority that some other headphones will.

The K271 MKII is rather neutral, on the warm side of it, but neutral. Bass is not really muddy, so much as simply not as well controlled and deep and powerful as more expensive headphones.

As for the HM5, it's a Fischer Audio FA003 which also has velour pads. You can get velour pads for your HM5, you just need to find where you can get FA003 velour pads.

Both are excellent headphones. For the cost, I would go for the HM5 9 times out of 10.

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey,

Thank you so much for the help, you really made a difference in my choice. I guess I'll go with the HM5, and I hope I can find the velour pads (what worries me is that Fischer is Russian, but I'll figure something out).

I wish you the very best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back