a circum-aural alt. to K81DJ
Sep 14, 2006 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Top Hat

New Head-Fier
Ok, so about a week ago I started looking for headphones to bring to college with me. I really liked what I read about the SR-60s, and I really liked how they looked. I tried them on at a store, but realized that the amount of sound they leak wouldn't be fun for my roommate or people in a library.

I searched some more and decided that maybe the AKG K81 DJs would be good. I heard they had a similar sound to the SR60s, they were closed, it sounded good, but then I found out they were supra-aural, and I'm pretty sure that I'd prefer headphones that go completely around my ears. It seems that they'd be more comfortable and more isolating and less leaking.

I'm thinking of just getting the K81Djs despite them not being circum-aural, but I thought I'd try asking if there were any good alternatives I should be looking into. I really want to buy some soon..I figure it'll maybe abate my cravings to go on head-fi several times a day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get something soon, and I'm looking to spend at most $100, or maybe a little more if there's a good reason to. Some closed, circum-aural cans.

Thank you.

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 19
the only ones i can think of with a similar (but better all around) sound, sealed, and circumaural, for $150, would be the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 19
The K181DJ might be circumaural.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 19
if it's isolation you're worried about, do not fear; the K81DJ is fabulous in that department. Comfort-wise, I think they're way more comfy than Grados. I can't even wear Grados with bowls for long without outer ear pain.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 19
I've had my djs now for about 4 months, and I start to get discomfort after about 2-2 1/2 hours, once a feel a little discomfort, I take em off for ten minutes, and I''m good to go again.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 19
I've been looking into the AKG K271s. I just got a price quote from Northern Sound and Light for $146.06. Yeah, it's almost 50% more than you want to spend but that seems like an excellent price for exactly what you're looking for - good sounding, closed, circumaural cans.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 19
im in the same boat as you are, looking for some well isolating cans for library/class use. your other options would be the foldable senn hd280 pros which from what ive gathered, have a love/hate deal with the population here. the sony 7506's are also closed and are tried and true contenders. the d66's seem good choices too, but despite being open circu, have gotten good isolation scores on headphonereviews. looks wise: the d66 and the k81s are loads better looking worn than the other 2 choices.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Hat
I really want to buy some soon..I figure it'll maybe abate my cravings to go on head-fi several times a day.

I hate to say it, but I don't think buying some quality cans will decrease your cravings to go on head-fi several times a day. In fact, I would expect the opposite. Look at the signature lines of many of the people on this site - they didn't get those mass quantities expensive gear all at once...they started just like you, purchasing a modest but quality cans and then it just sort of snowballs. Good luck - oh, and enjoy the K81DJs. They rock. You could stop with those and be just fine, in my opinion, but don't quote me on that.

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I've been looking into the AKG K271s. I just got a price quote from Northern Sound and Light for $146.06. Yeah, it's almost 50% more than you want to spend but that seems like an excellent price for exactly what you're looking for - good sounding, closed, circumaural cans.

but you need a amp to make it sound decent

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by machineo
im in the same boat as you are, looking for some well isolating cans for library/class use. your other options would be the foldable senn hd280 pros which from what ive gathered, have a love/hate deal with the population here. the sony 7506's are also closed and are tried and true contenders. the d66's seem good choices too, but despite being open circu, have gotten good isolation scores on headphonereviews. looks wise: the d66 and the k81s are loads better looking worn than the other 2 choices.

Yeah. Actually, until I read more impressions, because of the lack thereof for the Eggos, I almost bought them based on their looks. I'm glad I didn't, though, as they're reported to have not so good isolation and lack of bass, which means it would be COMPLETELY sucked out by the loud buses I ride. The K81DJ certainly doesn't lack any, despite loud noises around me. Also, IMO, it sounds distinctly better than the MDR-7506/V6. I liked those, too, but they're just TOO bassy for my tastes, and lack some detail and midrange sweetness on the K81DJ, IMO. Not to mention, they're much, much sweatier; the definition of hot pads. They fit your ear like a glove, pretty much. Imagine wearing a pleather ear glove in 92 degree weather, with high humidity. just ew.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 19
You do realize that the Grado's are also Supra-Aural don't you?

Anyways, I havent heard the DT770's, but it sounds like they may have a similar sound signature to the K81DJ. The K271S are great, but need an amp to really shine and have way less bass [not necissarily a bad thing].

I don't find the K81DJ's all that uncomfortable personally, but it really depends on the shape of your head.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 19
I swapped my K81DJs for DT770s because the tight, supra-aural K81DJs were just too uncomfortable for me. I have no regrets with the DT770s, they are excellent and do everything the K81DJs do, but better. The only concern would be the size of them, they're pretty big since they're circumaural, if you want to use them portably.

If you need portability, don't worry about the K81DJs leaking sound due to being supra-aural, they don't leak at all. And it seems that you can stretch out the headband if they are uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back