A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish
Jul 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you just summarized the capability and multiple abilities of the Fostex T50RP. 

Yep, these things rock, they do indeed need a bit more oomph though, and I probably would never listen to my HF2 at the same volume level on my Sparrow that I crank the T50's to...for any length of time anyway that is
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Yep, these things rock, they do indeed need a bit more oomph though, and I probably would never listen to my HF2 at the same volume level on my Sparrow that I crank the T50's to...for any length of time anyway that is
biggrin.gif

The Fostex T50RPs can take 3,000mW of power.  That's a whole lot 'o power.  In comparison, the AKG K701 is rated to take only 200mW of input power.  So, yes, the Fostex 'phones were meant for cranking without crashing and burning.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 36
I should chime in.  I have gone through quite of bit of headphones.  Through time, I discovered that midcentric headphones were my choice of sound signature. And being a rock lover, Grados RS1 were it. Over the HD800 and LCD-2 and everything else.

But when my Vintage RS1 driver broke, the RS1i proved too bright for me.  I purchased another vintage pair of RS1 but they were bright and not smooth and dark like my other pair.  So than the answer came in the form of the Magnums.
They had the Grado signature without the shrill and brightness. It didn't have the warmth and grooviness of my Vintage RS1 but they were so much better than the current Grado line and also more refined. So the Magnums were my "it" headphone. 

But I wanted something that was Midcentric but still complementary to the Magnums.  On a hunch, I decided to try the Foxtex T50RP.
I was in love with it too.  Another midcentric headphone that could do vocals and guitar well but with more warmth and darkness.

I actually prefer the Fostex over the LCD-2.  For me the Foxtex had more upper midrange for the guitar crunch and bite.

So with these two headphones (Magnums and Fostex), I feel done after being on headfi for 10 years and trying almost every headphone and brand.  

The best part it is that they are both "most bang for the buck" headphones.

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:
I should chime in.  I have gone through quite of bit of headphones.  Through time, I discovered that midcentric headphones were my choice of sound signature. And being a rock lover, Grados RS1 were it. Over the HD800 and LCD-2 and everything else.

But when my Vintage RS1 driver broke, the RS1i proved too bright for me.  I purchased another vintage pair of RS1 but they were bright and not smooth and dark like my other pair.  So than the answer came in the form of the Magnums.
They had the Grado signature without the shrill and brightness. It didn't have the warmth and grooviness of my Vintage RS1 but they were so much better than the current Grado line and also more refined. So the Magnums were my "it" headphone. 

But I wanted something that was Midcentric but still complementary to the Magnums.  On a hunch, I decided to try the Foxtex T50RP.
I was in love with it too.  Another midcentric headphone that could do vocals and guitar well but with more warmth and darkness.

I actually prefer the Fostex over the LCD-2.  For me the Foxtex had more upper midrange for the guitar crunch and bite.

So with these two headphones (Magnums and Fostex), I feel done after being on headfi for 10 years and trying almost every headphone and brand.  

The best part it is that they are both "most bang for the buck" headphones.

I agree with a lot of things you said about RS1 and Magnum. Many of these so called vintage, classic RS1s are just as bright as RS1i and don't sound any better. A bit like people going after the gold SR325, which belongs in the past but are not superior to the new ones.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #20 of 36
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Thanks for chiming in sling. I listen to mostly guitar driven bluesy rock. I've always found Grado's to be quite adept at channeling that sort of stuff. I really have no other frame of reference though. I started with SR60's, spent to much time lurking on head fi reading this and that before joining the fray, and catching the upgrade bug. Which for the most part has been limited to Grado offerings, the SR60, 225, MS2i, and an HF2. I've spent time with an MS Pro, and the woodied Magnum from the OP as well. I've never really considered the Grado bright per se, but relative to what my modded T50 now offers, I dont find the signature of the Grado as appealing as I once did. My woodied 225 sounded great through my Harmon Kardon vintage receiver. I find that it doesnt synergize with my Audio GD Sparrow very well at all though. Thankfully though that's not the case with my HF2's, but relative to my modded T50, I'm now finding that the HF2 doesnt quite measure up to what the T50 can do.

It seems orthos are dethroning the Grado from it's rock and roll perch. The guy that started the Grado fan club sold his beloved 225 and now has an he 300 Hifiman on his ears. I just saw a post from an SR60 modder  in the Grado fan club that has an HE5 LE. It seems orthos might be the new king of Rock and Roll.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in sling. I listen to mostly guitar driven bluesy rock. I've always found Grado's to be quite adept at channeling that sort of stuff. I really have no other frame of reference though. I started with SR60's, spent to much time lurking on head fi reading this and that before joining the fray, and catching the upgrade bug. Which for the most part has been limited to Grado offerings, the SR60, 225, MS2i, and an HF2. I've spent time with an MS Pro, and the woodied Magnum from the OP as well. I've never really considered the Grado bright per se, but relative to what my modded T50 now offers, I dont find the signature of the Grado as appealing as I once did. My woodied 225 sounded great through my Harmon Kardon vintage receiver. I find that it doesnt synergize with my Audio GD Sparrow very well at all though. Thankfully though that's not the case with my HF2's, but relative to my modded T50, I'm now finding that the HF2 doesnt quite measure up to what the T50 can do.

It seems orthos are dethroning the Grado from it's rock and roll perch. The guy that started the Grado fan club sold his beloved 225 and now has an he 300 Hifiman on his ears. I just saw a post from an SR60 modder  in the Grado fan club that has an HE5 LE. It seems orthos might be the new king of Rock and Roll.

Yeah with Grados, tubes or vintage amps were the only way I could listen to them. Any other amp made them too bright and too lean. 
If I had tried the HiMan HE series, instead of the LCD-2, it might have been a different story.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #23 of 36
I come from the other way, got the Fostex T50RPs first, and then move into Grado.

Over time, I realize that I am more into the process of modding the headphones and made something I can call my own, than just buying a headphone and listen to them as is.  No surprises that we are attracted to the Grados and T50s, which are about the most modifiable (and responds the best to modding) headphones out there.

I started off with the T50, and did simple mods on them (plasticine, dynamat, silverstone foam, bass port, reflect dot, cotton and Shure pads).  They sounds very smooth, so smooth that I am looking for some sparkle in the treble.  But life is busy, and I left them unchanged for at least half a year while listening to them regularly.

Then I stumbled upon a good deal for the Grado SR60, and I had to grab it.  I damped the cups with silverstone acoustic foam, dynamat behind and in front of the drivers and recabled into mono plugs for easy cable swapping.  I find the dynamat (especially the one on the earside of the drivers) really tamed the piercing highs and made the grados much more listenable.

I now have a pair of Magnum v3 drivers, wooden shells by MrHee, some Grado gimbals, rods and headband, and is aiming to assemble my next pair.  Unfortunately, life is too busy, and I have had those supplies for more than a few months, but just doesn't have to time to put them together.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Yeah with Grados, tubes or vintage amps were the only way I could listen to them. Any other amp made them too bright and too lean. If I had tried the HiMan HE series, instead of the LCD-2, it might have been a different story.

That's why I'm looking to buy a Little Dot I+ amp tomorrow.  Apparently, some op-amp rolling with that amp can have a greater effect than tube rolling on the "pre" section.

It seems that spending $10 or so in op-amps, might make the Little Dot I+ flexible enough to pair with many headphones, depending on the signature you're looking for.

I just finished another pair of T50RPs last evening with the BMF 8.1 (modified) enhancements.  It took me about an hour and I was wrapped up by 10:00 p.m. and ready to head to bed.  I took them along for the listen - the sound nearly brought tears to my eyes for getting the sound so close to where I wanted it on the first try.  I did buy a measuring "kit" from BMF and this week, picked up the necessary cables.  This will make the modding life easier as I'll be able to take measurements and see how much a change has an effect on the frequency response and the end sound.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 36
With grados or magnums, if going tube, the MAD EAR; if Vintage Receiver, Marantz.  I've never heard the Little Dot but I heard it does well.  I know from experience Woo can still be too bright on Grados.
Quote:

That's why I'm looking to buy a Little Dot I+ amp tomorrow.  Apparently, some op-amp rolling with that amp can have a greater effect than tube rolling on the "pre" section.

It seems that spending $10 or so in op-amps, might make the Little Dot I+ flexible enough to pair with many headphones, depending on the signature you're looking for.

I just finished another pair of T50RPs last evening with the BMF 8.1 (modified) enhancements.  It took me about an hour and I was wrapped up by 10:00 p.m. and ready to head to bed.  I took them along for the listen - the sound nearly brought tears to my eyes for getting the sound so close to where I wanted it on the first try.  I did buy a measuring "kit" from BMF and this week, picked up the necessary cables.  This will make the modding life easier as I'll be able to take measurements and see how much a change has an effect on the frequency response and the end sound.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
With grados or magnums, if going tube, the MAD EAR; if Vintage Receiver, Marantz.  I've never heard the Little Dot but I heard it does well.  I know from experience Woo can still be too bright on Grados.
Quote:

I know from experience that Woo sounds great with my Grados.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:
As much as I love my vintage RS1 --I agree with what you said about it's sound-- I wouldn't call it technically superior to RS1i.

Gold SR325... it depends mine has got HP 1000 drivers in it :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

Hey, I'm rocking my FOSTEX Kotori 201.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614433/fostex-kotori-201-brand-new-worldwide-shipping-included-in-the-price (buy me! buy me!)

My thoughts on different generations of RS1s:
First: super vintage and vintage A (the ones with wooden boxes)...............second last: RS1i,  Last: any other RS1.
The gold 325 I was thinking of were the limited edition ones (not the black 325 with gold lettering and HP1000 drivers). 
My favourite 325 is the black one with the John Grado drivers -come to think of it, they are the only SR325 I like. I prefer them to the ones with HP1000 drivers.
All subjective opinions of mine of course. 
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
First: super vintage and vintage A (the ones with wooden boxes)...............second last: RS1i,  Last: any other RS1.
The gold 325 I was thinking of were the limited edition ones (not the black 325 with gold lettering and HP1000 drivers). 
My favourite 325 is the black one with the John Grado drivers -come to think of it, they are the only SR325 I like. I prefer them to the ones with HP1000 drivers.
wink.gif

Those were actually the SR-325i, and were designed as a 50th anniversary edition.  The gold color was OK, but I didn't think the sound was too impressive.  Putting a driver into a plastic sleeve and into an aluminum cup doesn't do wonders for the sound.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
wink.gif

I owned a John Grado black SR325 and sold it for a smaller sum of money to Nerox. I didn't know what to think about its sound. It had the most bass of all the nine Grados I owned, but I didn't like it much nonetheless. Just like you said: "tous les gouts sont dans la nature" (all tastes are parts of the nature). I love my SR325-0 and SR100-0 just as much as my HP1 and -2, I think the difference in sound is really minor and not a strictly negative one.

I don't know why I love the HP-1000 drivers so much more than those of John Grado. I think they both have a lot in common, maybe it's due to their geometry and openness, but when I think of the Grado sound I think of an approximate mix of all my Grados, including the vintages and the HP 1000 that forged it. Basically all Grado owe their shape and size to the HP 1000 (GS- and PS-1000 not so much though!), and their sound to all of the John Grado headphones that preceded them.

I've taken out my RS1 of its comfy box, boy those taped bowls I'm trying make miracles (on all Grados). It solved the harshness and many other gripes I initially had with their sound.

Quote:
Putting a driver into a plastic sleeve and into an aluminum cup doesn't do wonders for the sound.

No, but they does a fine job holding the drivers above ground :p.

I definitely think Grado has different driver classes, maybe one for each series, and then grades, to share between the different models in the same series. But I see it more like a continuum to cut in equal halves to delimit ranges that make a pair of drivers fall into either the RS1 or RS2 category (for example), than same sounding, punctual, equidistant and equal grades, which would explain why different SR125i's or PS500s sound different (i.e. the general variability in sound Grado is known for), or why some SR125i sounds almost identical to a SR225i above, or a SR80i under.

Like I said to pcf, I have four HP 1000 variations, and to me they all sound "grossly" the same. One is housed in a narrow plastic enclosure, the other in the longer tubed, original SR325 metal hybrid enclosure, and finally, two of them in a full metal slim RS-1 like enclosure. I can barely differentiate HP and SR another (when listening). 

Based off that, I think improvements from the SR60i to the RS1 in sound quality of the Grados are in most part due to the quality of the drivers, and not so much material and geometry of the cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back