A lesson in signing off Christmas cards, please :)
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiya,

It's this time of the year again, and for the first time ever, I may actually be sending real, physical Christmas cards! *gasp* I know, I know, why make the postal system more congested than it already is? Why waste more expensive, tree-killing, environmentally damaging card paper when the world is already well on its way to self-destruction? Well I want to give this traditional, anti-technology, backwards thinking, "conservative" activity a try anyway. Just this once!
ph34r.gif

Now how does one sign of a Christmas card? Gone are the days when I was still educated on social etiquette and I have forgotten even the most basic of rules, signing off Christmas cards being one of them.
redface.gif

Here's what I've come up with:

Close friends (male) - "Best wishes"
Close friends (female) & family - "With love", "Love from" or "Love always"

Here's the problem. "Best wishes" sounds too detatched, even impersonal, and "Love always" might sound a bit too intimate. How does one strike a good balance between the two?

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Whenever I am in doubt about something like this, I usually put a very short phrase at the end, on a separate line (often with an exclamation point, for some reason), followed by my name. In this way, it feels like it acts like a sign-off, but doesn't need to get into this kind of rock/hard place situation.

For example:

Hope to see you very soon!
Chris

Have a great time with the family!
Chris

Miss you!
Chris

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Chris

etc.

I have absolutely no idea of how many rules of etiquette/tradition this is breaking, but it works for me, I think.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 5
The point about the exclamation mark is a good one.

linuxworks, just need to make sure their granny is alive and well first
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd go with a one or two line personal note followed by signing your first name. Informal, but a line or two shows you took the time to think about them. Also, omit that page of written recaps of the past year some put in every card. Those who know you well already know it and the rest won't bother reading it. Those also have a way of coming across as bragging or begging for sympathy. However, a photo is great. Posed photos in holiday wear are OK for kids, but I think a (tasteful) candid shot from a vacation or trip is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back