A look at materials for magnetic shielding
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 17
Oh, so, I see, an AM radio station only needs an elaborate buried radial grounding system so that the DJ doesn't get a shock when he touches the microphone.

Well, I'm sure all the owners of AM stations will be glad to hear that they don't need to maintain their ground systems anymore, all they need is a #16 wire clamped to a water pipe.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 17
>>No way. The electrons to go that rod and then what? They need to close a loop so they have to travel through dirt, to get to the origin.<<

So that means that radio is also impossible because the electrons go to the transmitter antenna and - then what?

Everyone keeps focusing here on 60 Hz power distribution. And you're right, a single 8 ft ground rod is NOT adequate for 60 HZ AC POWER. But - you know - there's a difference between 60 Hz and 300 Khz and above. Are you aware of that? And that THERE IS NO NET ELECTRON FLOW IN AN AC CIRCUIT? Electrons from your power line are NOT flowing into your house along the power line and then flowing back to the powerplant through the ground or neutral lines.

Connecting an audio device's signal ground - let's say a high-gain moving-coil phono preamp - to a separate earthing system is not likely to reduce 60 Hz (or any reasonable harmonic thereof) noise. I never said it would. But a 300 Khz noise, not originating with the power line- coming from some noise source like the chassis of a PC with an 850 watt switching power supply inside it - THIS kind of noise can SOMETIMES be ameliorated by connection to a low impedance path to earth. And, just to re-iterate because you all seem to keep focusing on the AC power line which is NOT what I am citing here- THIS SORT OF REMEDY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POWER LINE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back