A new monster has born. His Name is: Denondynamic D2000
Sep 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 54
Ok, but you should known one thing; the Denons aren't completely Sealed/closed (well, at least mine (and i think that all...)). They have an open ring/vent between the metal ring (those that hold the cups) and the grey cup. And they leak a lot of sound (just almost as an open headphone) at somewhat high, high and very high volumes.
Ah, remember that the foam has to be of almost double/double thickness and much less porous than the stock foams (DT880/990), or they will sound very sibilant/bright (but very airy) at higher volumes....
I have to prove various piled up Denon's/HFI-780's Kind of cloth, to see as it behaves, but for now this is the best result at the expense of a little bit less long time comfort....
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since DT880 pads are the same as the DT990s I will try that...but please don't be mad if I'm skeptic from my experience what happens to closed cans when listened to with open cans pads.

m00h

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 54
Thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif
, yes it is a winner {for that the qualifying of monster [i don't give this qualifying to everything that doesn't impress me (very little things really impress me in the life...)]}. This headphone sound unreal (sound more speaker like and open than my DT990s for example [(speciallty in the mids) with some music is as to be in a auditorium with various speakers around)] with this mod and long term frienly to listen music than stock denons . The only thing that i miss a little is the slightly sparkly highs in my DT990 (but that are harsher at high volumes with an reasonably amount of music), with another material than music.
And yes, i also was unimpressed with the stock denons {they weren't much impressive than my DT990s [except in the lowbass and a little bit in his image (but very little in reality) his speed (a little bit more that the DT990s)]}.
My first mod was with the same velour earpads, with his original porous black foam [that hardly fit in the write ring (well, at least that you cut it a little...)].
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your 2nd mod; it seems like a winner. You have renewed my interest in the D2000. Thanks. BTW, what was your first mod?

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after of some test. I did use a double layer and a much less porous foam (because the DT990 foam is very porous and it let through hairs to the drivers diaphragm, and make to distort the bass (as occur in the DT990)), and the bright mids and highs, and sibilance has vanished almost for complete (the sibilance is lesser than stock DT990 and a little bit less than Denons), but the bass has improved [it is as the denon in stock and DT990 in quality too (but more balanced), when it doesn't get a little distorted for the hairs hehehe...] and the image. Now the separation is supreme (much better than stock Beyer DT990 and Denons) and the mids are more sweet and the best of all, is the soundstage [is the same of ginormous (almost double of DT990 size, specially depth)] but without the extreme brightness of before....

Hello,
Can you explain please exactly what you did to remove the birght mids, highs, and siblance?

I do not understand what you did to remove it.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #20 of 54
Hi
As i said in the previous explanation, i did some "test" (watch TV/listen to music) before with the stock earpads (leather), and they were bright in the mids and highs. But the airyness with leather earpads isn't as much compared to the Velours (they are more breathable). Then, i put a little of foam (that of the DT990) to the Denons and they did have a smoother mids and a slightly less present highs [I do the same with the DT990s (i put the Denon's leather in it), but they were with his stock cable very bassy, but with less sibilance (and with much darker highs), really unbearable with TV or "normal" music with not much harsness and brightness], but slightly bassy. when i put the Denon D5000 cable in the DT990s (as are currently), the sound was clearer and cleaner, but they sufer now the same collapsed or "stuffy" wider soundstage/headstage effect (excellent for rock for example).... The bad was that after of the recable, The beyers with the velours, sound tinnier (i was asking to myself, where the bass go/left).
I think that if you don't make this mod (in a hypothetic case); that what you can do is get a little bit of cloth (the same as the stock) and put it into the write ring. Well, hope that my "little" explanation/comparisson serves you...
Cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
Can you explain please exactly what you did to remove the birght mids, highs, and siblance?

I do not understand what you did to remove it.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that if you don't make this mod (in a hypothetic case); that what you can do is get a little bit of cloth (the same as the stock) and put it into the write ring. Well, hope that my "little" explanation/comparisson serves you...
Cheers

Ahh I see, so you took some foam and stuffed it inside the earcup.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #22 of 54
Yes, with the velours earpads is mandatory, but with the leather earpads no (the sound can get muddy and stifling).
Cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh I see, so you took some foam and stuffed it inside the earcup.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who is thinking:
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS?

lololol

No...no, you're not:

321421416_778e4cda62.jpg

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 54
Nonono, this thread is not useless without the pics, but i will try to get a very cheap digital camera soon (i don't want to expend a lot of money on one, because i can't get initialized my next project...)
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who is thinking:
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS?

lololol

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then a little ago, i was experimenting a little, trying the DT990 velours that i have in my headphones and i put them + the beyers foams in the Denons and viceversa by curiosity, to see what could happen.... Well, i find at first that this headphone sounded very sibilant with very bright mids and highs and with little bass; but now they have been settled down. Making this headphone sounded better as never imagined. Definitively a different Headphone...

Wilashort,

I have just purchased a pair of D5000 lately for its detail, clarity and wide dynamic range. But the bass is too much and too boomy. So I will try out your mod for bass improvement. Correct me if I am wrong, following are steps for the mod:

- Purchase spare Beyers velours ear pads for DT990 or DT880.
- Replace stock leather ear pads of D5000 with the purchased Beyers ear pads.
- Acquire some foams (denser and less porous than Beyers foam), cut and stick them to inner walls of D5000's wooden cups with glue.

When you said put the foams into Denon, do you mean placing them on top of drivers facing listener's ears or sticking them to inner walls of cups behind the drivers (just like the Markl's mod) ? If the answer is later, can I use other easily available damping material instead of foams for the same purpose ? Can I just swap the ear pads without applying the foams in the cups to achieve the same result ?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #27 of 54
Pass 1 and two are good; pass 3 good, except that you don't have to put the foam into the wood. It is for the grills (on top of them).
You can experiment with some cloths too (porous enough, as that in the picture of the Denyon)

Regards
Quote:

Originally Posted by littletree76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilashort,

I have just purchased a pair of D5000 lately for its detail, clarity and wide dynamic range. But the bass is too much and too boomy. So I will try out your mod for bass improvement. Correct me if I am wrong, following are steps for the mod:

- Purchase spare Beyers velours ear pads for DT990 or DT880.
- Replace stock leather ear pads of D5000 with the purchased Beyers ear pads.
- Acquire some foams (denser and less porous than Beyers foam), cut and stick them to inner walls of D5000's wooden cups with glue.

When you said put the foams into Denon, do you mean placing them on top of drivers facing listener's ears or sticking them to inner walls of cups behind the drivers (just like the Markl's mod) ? If the answer is later, can I use other easily available damping material instead of foams for the same purpose ? Can I just swap the ear pads without applying the foams in the cups to achieve the same result ?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #28 of 54
Thank you for the prompt clarification. Followings are what I have done:

- Purchased spare Beyers DT770 (or DT880 or DT990) ear pads to swap with original Denon D5000 black leather ear pads.

- Removed original leather ear pads from D5000 headphone and plastic white rings from the ear pads as well. The white rings are necessary to secure new Beyers ear pads on to D5000 headphone.

- Before ear pad assembly, glued two layers of handkerchief cloths made of porous gauze (made in Japan) to outer side of the two white plastic rings with craft glue suitable for most types of plastic and fabric (CraftSmart, made in Australia). The cloths served as dust covers for the exposed driver diaphragms as the Beyers spare ear pads do not come with them and original ones are stitched on to original D5000 ear pads. The cloths should be light and porous enough so that they will not block out sound transmitted to ears completely.

- Once glue have completely cured, assembled the Beyers ear pads with the white rings on to D5000 headphone and all is done.

I am still waiting for the glue to cure (perhaps 12 hours will do) and let see how this easier and reversible mod improve the bass response.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #30 of 54
You are welcome. In other hand, aren't the DT770 pads (i don't known if the 2005 Ed earpads work, but not the DT770pro/80s), only DT880/DT990 Pads.
Regards
Quote:

Originally Posted by littletree76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the prompt clarification. Followings are what I have done:

- Purchased spare Beyers DT770 (or DT880 or DT990) ear pads to swap with original Denon D5000 black leather ear pads.

- Removed original leather ear pads from D5000 headphone and plastic white rings from the ear pads as well. The white rings are necessary to secure new Beyers ear pads on to D5000 headphone.

- Before ear pad assembly, glued two layers of handkerchief cloths made of porous gauze (made in Japan) to outer side of the two white plastic rings with craft glue suitable for most types of plastic and fabric (CraftSmart, made in Australia). The cloths served as dust covers for the exposed driver diaphragms as the Beyers spare ear pads do not come with them and original ones are stitched on to original D5000 ear pads. The cloths should be light and porous enough so that they will not block out sound transmitted to ears completely.

- Once glue have completely cured, assembled the Beyers ear pads with the white rings on to D5000 headphone and all is done.

I am still waiting for the glue to cure (perhaps 12 hours will do) and let see how this easier and reversible mod improve the bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back