A New Start: Suggestions?
Jan 2, 2010 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
I've decided to completely wipe my computer of music and start anew.

Now, I can start experimenting in different genres and such.

So everyone, please post your favorite artist and album or any suggestions and I'll take a listen!

Thanks!
Leon

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 34
thanks!

yeah. i've been dabbling in progressive rock. genesis, the flower kings, and the like.

system of a down is really good too!

i've found that i really like yanni and philip glass. any other artists with similar styles?

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 34
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (Prog-Rock)

album1759.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 34
I kind of found it hard to stop writing
darthsmile.gif

btw in some kind of "logical" order:

Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions
Heroes Del Silencio - Senderos de Traición
Elegy - State Of Mind
House Of Lords - World Upside Down
Rage and the Symphonic Orchestra Prague - Lingua Mortis
Iron Maiden - Maiden Japan 1981 (bootleg edition)
Virgin Steele - The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell Part II
Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness
Savatage - Ghost In The Ruins (A Tribute to Criss Oliva)
Judas Priest - '98 Live Meltdown
Running Wild - Pile Of Skulls
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Rage - End Of All Days
Circus Maximus - The 1st. Chapter
Blind Guardian - Tokyo Tales
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Saxon - Lionheart
Therion - Theli
Sacred Steel - Wargods Of Metal

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 34
Jan 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 34
Let's see...

Immolation-"Close To A World Below" or "Unholy Cult" Only if you don't mind death metal. Warning-they are very anti-religious.
Tool-"Lateralus" Definitely listen if you like prog.
Made Out Of Babies-"The Ruiner" A very lyrical band. Julie Christmas does any awesome job at showing emotion in her voice instead of just singing. She may not be the best singer technically, but she gives the songs life.
Rosetta-"Wake/Lift" It's metal, with screaming and all that, but at the same time it's very relaxing. This particular album has helped me get to sleep a few times.
Mr. Bungle-"Mr. Bungle" This album is really fun with the whole "psycho clown" theme. Definitely good, and on the stranger side of things.

Those are a few of my favorites.
Also-may I ask why you're starting over like this?

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 34
A few suggestions...in no particular order

Van Der Graaf Generator-Godbluff
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Tool - Lateralus
Agalloch - The Mantle
Jakob - Solace
Eloy - Ocean
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Rush - Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd - Animals
Deep Purple - Made In Japan (LIVE)

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 34
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
ac64225b9da009796dd03110.L.jpg

Elvis Costello - This Years Model
b5c7828fd7a0030663d93110.L.jpg

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
1113c0a398a0080089f9f110.L.jpg

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
61f2OmUrHmL._SS500_.jpg

Silver Jews - American Water
8e0f124128a002c466d9b010.L.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Jan 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 34
Totally agree on the Stereolab, great suggestion and one of my all time favorite albums... easily one of the best of the 90s in Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Vintage Farsifa and Vox organs, Moog synthesizers, late 60s bachelor pad mod sounds of Burt Bacharach combined with krautrockers Neu! and Can as well as some Ornette Coleman like avant-garde sax. Lovely vocals by Laetitia Sadier about an array of ism's, including humanism and Marxism, sometimes in English, other times in French. This is modern pop at its finest by a band that can rock too. Pearl Jam even covered the driving, guitar dominated "The Noise of Carpet". Beautiful production throughout, about half done in London with Paul Tipler and half in Chicago with John McEntire (Tortoise).

I'm always tossing out Laika when someone wants to mix it up a little, especially their Silver Apples of the Moon. What a visionary debut from one of my favorites. Hard to believe it was 15 years ago now. Effortlessly melding hip hop, dub, jungle, acid-jazz and electronica with an organic rock foundation, and that juxtapostion between Margaret's feathery vocals and the jittery, and sometimes even menacing rhythms. Never quite been duplicated, except on their next album. Knocked me for a real loop when I first heard it because it seemed so fresh and vital (even though I later learned that Margaret was doing similar work with Moonshake before this). Still knocks me for a loop.

Some great suggestions so far in Waits and Costello, Clash and Tool, and the others, especially love the American Water suggestion. Another big favorite. Really nice and simple recording too, done at the Rare Book Room in Brooklyn and mastered at Abbey Road. Dave Berman and Steve Malkmus primarily, but with a few others on hand making it a little like a cross between Wilco and Pavement, but better lyrically than either. One of my favorites, and one I have played tons of times and still enjoy. Almost like a companion piece in my mind to another more recent album I just listened to and that I also love dearly, Califone Roomsound. Bluesy folk music with a junkyard country twist and quirky, fragmented lyrical images. My kind of stuff. Timeless. Or maybe, out of time.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 34
Trying to mix in some new genres:

Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music
Tycho - Adrift - From Home
Worlds End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland
Endless Blue - Smoke Through It
Dungen - Panda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back