A Pair of HP-1000's just went for $45.00 on Ebay!
Oct 24, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Yeah okay, maybe they are worn-out pieces of s***, but what if they're not? How long has it been since the HP-1000 series was introduced? The odds are just as good, probably even better that those headphones could have been sitting in someone's closet for 10 years, and maybe the seller didn't really know the true value. If it was a scam, the buy it now would've been $1500, not $45. For $45, I would've been willing to take that risk. I find it a little curious that the price was equivalent to that of a used SR-60.

Agreed. Sounds like the seller acquired the headphones from somewhere and was just looking to make a few bucks off of it and forget about them. So they searched on ebay for "Grado," and saw the NEW SR60s for $45, decided since the HP1000s looked rather old and were in less than perfect condition, $45 seemed about right. Unfortunately for the seller, not a lot of resources are available on these cans so to the uneducated Head-Fi'er it would be difficult to judge the price of them.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #32 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
hahaha nice!!!

I sent the guy a message telling him I (and many others) would have bought them for $2500, then told him I hope that $50 goes to good use!

You likewise fail it.
plainface.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #34 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
There are a lot of unscrupulous characters on eBay, knowing this from personal experience. One went so far as to even put up an entire fake shipping company website in great detail, and took it down after I said I had sent him the money for the Apple 30" LCD monitors, which of course I didn't. I'm not stupid, at least when it comes to eBay purchases. You can't buy a $2,500 monitor [at that time it was, now its $2,000] for $700 in brand new condition, in any country.

Chances are these headphones were picked up, like it states, at an auction, and they are missing lots of pieces. If they do work as good as they say, then it is worth it, of course, even to replace the screw and foam pads.
Then again, what would someone who searches for headphones like vintage Jetco at auctions know about audio fidelity? [don't shoot me for not knowing what Jetco's are] Aren't those for airline use or something? Maybe he just made a big mistake in not realizing what he was selling, and the person he bought them from made an even bigger mistake.

My guess is that they probably sound like crap, are completely worn out and the drivers are practically blown, but to the lamen, a pair of horrible top-notch Grado's may sound like music to his ears.

Best luck to whoever purchased them, but if they normally sell for $1,400, and you paid $45, you'll be lucky to get just a Grado shell, if really a Grado shell at all, with something like a pair of JVC headphone drivers installed inside. Think about something wisely like that before making a purchase. Things that are too good to be true, 99.9% of the time are! If you managed to get that lucky 0.01%, my hats off to you. If indeed others thought it would be a legit auction, there would have been a heck of a lot more bidders.

Think about it, guys.

Even if the drivers are blown and inoperative, thats still a bargain. Ive seen old SR325 earcup shells alone sell for that much here. You could probably sell em' here for at least $100.

I would have snagged them in a heartbeat. If they turned out to be duds... just send them to Larry along with $5-600 and let him do a restoration or driver transplant mod.

I think its safe to say you'll be in the minority on this one.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #36 of 283
Quote:

hahaha nice!!!

I sent the guy a message telling him I (and many others) would have bought them for $2500, then told him I hope that $50 goes to good use!

Ass.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #37 of 283
Oct 24, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #41 of 283
Quote:

Wow....and why did you do that for? Someone score a great deal...let him gets them. Now....they are relisted for 2500 dollars. Shame on you man.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #42 of 283
Quote:

hahaha nice!!!

blink.gif
blink.gif
That was not very nice of you.

They don't usually sell for $2500, so youre wrong on that account too.

I hope you are a man of integrity, honor and you do the right thing and buy them for $2500.... like you said you would.

DISGUSTING....

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #43 of 283
Nice someone got a better deal than Nikongod!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back