A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky!
Jul 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #106 of 148
Quote:
I did like a song or 2. Especially the organ ~ Bach Toccata And Fugue

It’s heavily abridged (butchered), two thirds shorter than the full piece.
I just can’t get passed this, purposely cut just to show of an audio effect.
Not to mention the mediocre interplay and a heavily handed interpretation.
Bach would most certainly roll over.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #107 of 148
Quote:

It’s heavily abridged (butchered), two thirds shorter than the full piece.
I just can’t get passed this, purposely cut just to show of an audio effect.
Not to mention the mediocre interplay and a heavily handed interpretation.
Bach would most certainly roll over.

And on that note, I'd like to ask: Does anyone know of any binaural recordings out there that provide great *music* ?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #108 of 148
Quote:
And on that note, I'd like to ask: Does anyone know of any binaural recordings out there that provide great *music* ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/511850/awesome-binaural-albums

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #109 of 148
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/511850/awesome-binaural-albums

Thanks for the link. Headphones and binaural recordings are the wave the future (at least as far as Hifi is concerned) because, as much as I like loudspeaker Hifi, the 1970's and 1980's are gone for good. I cannot envision another Hifi revival without compact and/or portable gear being at the center of it...

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #110 of 148
I'd buy this if I was bored enough, but would prefer that all the file options be 24 bit, and available in AIFF so I could just drop the songs into iTunes and not lose track of them. If I could get the 24/96 in AIFF or get the AIFF in 24/44 without conversion, I would have already bought it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #111 of 148
I just got this last night and listened to it this morning (Sitting in a recliner with my eyes closed) via 16/44 AIFF on my K550s and I'm going to be honest, it'll probably be a lot better through a pair of open headphones on 24/96 or 195 (or whatever it is) the effect is pretty cool, I really enjoyed listening to it, but most of it wasn't really my taste, the only track I really really enjoyed was the Bach Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, along with the test tracks of course.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #112 of 148
Sorry. We could not find any valid promotion with this code.

Sad!

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #113 of 148
Dear Experts,

Do you know of any other hires albums where the violin has been captured at this level of detail?

I am referring to track 1 of this album Amber Rubarth singing "Storms are On The Ocean", the violinist comes across with astonishing amount of detail, the textures of the sound generated when violin bow brushes against the strings comes across so well.

I have been searching hdtracks but most recordings are classical - full orchestral, not really what I am looking for. Would much rather like simple acoustic, folk, new-age or jazz compositions emphasizing the violin.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #114 of 148
Why does Front Imaging suffer in Binaural Recordings?

Hi all,

I have just bought a copy of this particular CD to try out Binaural recording.  This is my first exposure to Binaural recording.  While I did enjoy the album tremendously, the "binaural" effect was only somewhat effective.  I found that the left image, right image and behind the head image to be relatively accurately portrayed.  Also, I found the sense of space to be quite good.  

However, I found the front image lacking.  It definitely didn't give me a locked in front image like how I would get through my Vandersteen loudspeakers.  I have fairly good equipment (HD650, DT880, K701, MS-1 powered by Meier Audio amp and converted using HRT's Music Streamer+ DAC).  In every one of the headphones, the front image is just lacking.  I found no difference between it and a regularly well recorded stereo album (i.e. both left and right channels are equally loud, but the sound is right there in the middle of my head and not in front).  Naturally, left and right both sound like they are coming from the right direction, however, again, I question, how different is that from a regularly mic'ed stereo image?  Granted, I am able to differentiate the vertical plane (higher and lower) of instruments placement when they were coming from the left, right or behind.  Not so from the front.

Anyone else had my experience?

Also, any experts out there who can provide some opinions as to why this is happening and how to improve in the front image?  Jude?  Dr. Chesky?

Many thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #115 of 148
Quote:
Why does Front Imaging suffer in Binaural Recordings?

Hi all,

I have just bought a copy of this particular CD to try out Binaural recording.  This is my first exposure to Binaural recording.  While I did enjoy the album tremendously, the "binaural" effect was only somewhat effective.  I found that the left image, right image and behind the head image to be relatively accurately portrayed.  Also, I found the sense of space to be quite good.  

However, I found the front image lacking.  It definitely didn't give me a locked in front image like how I would get through my Vandersteen loudspeakers.  I have fairly good equipment (HD650, DT880, K701, MS-1 powered by Meier Audio amp and converted using HRT's Music Streamer+ DAC).  In every one of the headphones, the front image is just lacking.  I found no difference between it and a regularly well recorded stereo album (i.e. both left and right channels are equally loud, but the sound is right there in the middle of my head and not in front).  Naturally, left and right both sound like they are coming from the right direction, however, again, I question, how different is that from a regularly mic'ed stereo image?  Granted, I am able to differentiate the vertical plane (higher and lower) of instruments placement when they were coming from the left, right or behind.  Not so from the front.

Anyone else had my experience?

Also, any experts out there who can provide some opinions as to why this is happening and how to improve in the front image?  Jude?  Dr. Chesky?

Many thanks in advance.

When I listened to the previews of this album on HDTracks I kinda felt the same way. It was just weird, I think I was experiencing the same thing you were, but you know how to put it into words. I think I've seen some people blame the new format that is supposed to work on both headphones and stereo. I've been thinking about buying Explorations and testing the differences myself to see if that's it.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #116 of 148
Quote:
When I listened to the previews of this album on HDTracks I kinda felt the same way. It was just weird, I think I was experiencing the same thing you were, but you know how to put it into words. I think I've seen some people blame the new format that is supposed to work on both headphones and stereo. I've been thinking about buying Explorations and testing the differences myself to see if that's it.

hi jtaylor991,

If you were to get the Explorations album, please do let me know if you found the front imaging better.

I found several interesting links about binaural recording.

1) While this doesn't address the front imaging problems, it is an interesting FAQ for binaural beginners (like myself).  http://www.binaural.com/binfaq.html

2) This Sony webpage does describe some issues with binaural recording specifically wrt the front imaging, however, it doesn't explain why.  So, it seems that front imaging for binaural is always the weak spot.  http://www.sony.net/Products/vpt/tech/index.html

I have seen some explanation that the front imaging problem is mainly due to the shape of the dummy head's pinna (outer ear) being different from our own outer ear.  If you are lucky enough to have a pinna that is close enough to the dummy head, then the binaural effect is going to be much better.  However, if you are using circumaural headphones but your outer ear doesn't conform to the dummy head used in the recording, then the front imaging is going to be lacking.  I can't verify the accuracy of this information.  Any experts out there with their theories and thoughts?  How can I make it better?  If the outer ear is an issue, will IEM (i.e. goes straight into the ear canal and taking out the effect of outer ears) make it better?

Thoughts?

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #117 of 148
Quote:

Same here. However, it applies to pretty much -any- binaural album I have listened to, not just this one. They all seem to put the whole stage backwards a certain amount compared to regular stereo (ex.: Ottmar Liebert's Up Close, an excellent album) And I have never heard -any- album (binaural or stereo) that puts the sound really, truly -in front- of you.

Something like the Smyth Realiser might do the trick but is just too expensive for an experiment. Listening to the SPL's Phonitor demo, crossfeed-based solutions don't make much of difference either.

The only album I have listened to that seems to have the least issue with the above is the Cowboy Junkies Live one, but that was a hybrid mix putting together the binaural recording for ambiance with standard microphone feeds off the board.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #118 of 148
Cowboy Junkies have many live albums. Are you talking about one of the Trinity Sessions?

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #119 of 148
TheGrumpyOldMan, I just bought Up Close the other day and it arrived today. When I listened to it on Zune (which is 192kbps WMA mind you) it didn't seem that bad, but listening to a few track snow I see it, te lack of frontal staging. I'd personally blame this on the fact that maybe they weren't, um, in front of the head? Who knows, but it enveloped me in the music and took me to another world, which was what I wanted, so I bought it. Hopefully FLAC of it sounds even better :)

Hopefully I find more good binaural albums too, as I love music that envelops me with amazing soundscapes and can take me to another world. This is why I really liek certain types of electronic music too, it's pretty cool. Sample based electronic can also give you a taste of everything: acoustic/folk simple style; funky vocal samples and oddball drum beats; deep and soulful and/or sampled vocals that say things that make you really think or imagine; engaging and powerful.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #120 of 148
Quote:
Cowboy Junkies have many live albums. Are you talking about one of the Trinity Sessions?

Yea, I guess I should have been more specific, but to my knowledge Live At The Ark is the only binaural one I'm aware of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back