A Stranger with a Strange Request
Jan 19, 2019 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ActiveEnergy

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am new here. I made an account simply to get help in finding a very oddly specific pair of headphones, and I guess this is the best placd to ask :).

I listen to music on a regular basis with my home set-up. I have an amp and a record player, which go out to speakers. But recently a new roomate has moved in, and I can no longer blast music late at night like I used to, so I have decided to look for a very nice pair of headphones to use daily.

The problem is that I have a rare and very severe allergy to most plastics that are used in manufacturing, and I havent been able to find any headphones that are made using all metal/wood/nonplastic materials. Obviously the interiors would always be plastic (wires, etc.), but since my allergy is skin-related, only the surface materials need to be non-plastic.

I assume if any pair like this exist they would be vintage, and I'm fine paying for that (as I have to do with most of my appliances).

If you know something like this, please please help a man in need :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Look into ZMF headphones.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Is polyurethane off limits? The Meze Classic 99 are all wood and metal, with PU leather headband and earpads. I don't own and have never heard them, so I can't vouch for them in any way. Also, don't know if 'band and pads are user replaceable.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 8
A set of Grados can be made without plastics....the rod blocks, and gimbals are normally plastic, but they are replaceable with aluminum or wood parts. The cups can be made out of aluminum or wood...the only thing I am not sure about is the pads, they are just foam that rests against your ears.....but if that's a problem, you can get a set of pads from Beautiful audio made of merino wool.
You could build a set yourself, a really nice set, for less than $300...
grado.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I would recommend you contact Audeze and ask them if any of their models fit your needs. Off the top of my head I think the LCD-XC may work out for you and you can find these well below their MSRP as B-Stock from their resellers.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Basically combine this pad/headband combo, with the other headphones I posted and the only plastic you have is inside the headphones.
Beautiful-Audio-Silvian-grado-mods-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello!

I am new here. I made an account simply to get help in finding a very oddly specific pair of headphones, and I guess this is the best placd to ask :).

I listen to music on a regular basis with my home set-up. I have an amp and a record player, which go out to speakers. But recently a new roomate has moved in, and I can no longer blast music late at night like I used to, so I have decided to look for a very nice pair of headphones to use daily.

The problem is that I have a rare and very severe allergy to most plastics that are used in manufacturing, and I havent been able to find any headphones that are made using all metal/wood/nonplastic materials. Obviously the interiors would always be plastic (wires, etc.), but since my allergy is skin-related, only the surface materials need to be non-plastic.

I assume if any pair like this exist they would be vintage, and I'm fine paying for that (as I have to do with most of my appliances).

If you know something like this, please please help a man in need :)

Order a modded Grado from Headphile so the plastic blocks holding the gimbal rods will also be wood, along with all-wood construction of the driver housing.

And if foam is also a problem order the Headphile C-Pads to go along with the headphone and mount Beyerdynamic earpads onto the C-pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back