About to buy a tube amp... need recommendation for entry level cans
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kelim

Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting either the Qinpu A3 or the 6000. I will be using the amp for gaming and all types of music and watching anime/TV/movies pretty much all day long. What headphones under $200 should I get to start off with?

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 16
right now i've got a denon 1001K unmodded and a monoprice 8320 driven by an E17. Open or closed, I'm just looking for something that's great for listening to all day long, not fatiguing and pairs well with tubes, should I upgrade to that in the future. My sources are onboard PC audio and PSP Go.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
I think you got things backwards.  You could invest 200 more into the headphones without buying the tube amp and get a much better value.

I agree.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 16
If you already have a pair of Denon D1001, then that's a pretty decent pair of closed headphones.  If you want something that's very laid back and not tiring, definitely consider the Sennheiser HD598s.  These are probably some of the most relaxing and enjoyable headphones I've used to date.  Only drawback of them is that they tend to be a bit bass light, which might not make them the most exciting things for action movies or hiphop.  However, they are very smooth sounding, detailed and huge soundstage.  I think they would complement your D1001's very well as it kinda offers the opposite. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
If you already have a pair of Denon D1001, then that's a pretty decent pair of closed headphones.  If you want something that's very laid back and not tiring, definitely consider the Sennheiser HD598s.  These are probably some of the most relaxing and enjoyable headphones I've used to date.  Only drawback of them is that they tend to be a bit bass light, which might not make them the most exciting things for action movies or hiphop.  However, they are very smooth sounding, detailed and huge soundstage.  I think they would complement your D1001's very well as it kinda offers the opposite. 

well my D1001s don't really have much bass on the contrary...

but then again I feel like the bass it does have is very tight and controlled. I love these cans but I'm yearning for something different. and I definitely want MORE bass, along with nice smooth mids and detailed, sparkly treble.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
well the thing is my budget is 200 total right now. Maybe some IEMs and an over the ear?

Can't you wait, and get the would be 400 dollars that you were going to spend anyways?

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 16
No, I don't have a job right now. Plus, this is supposed to be my birthday present from my parents. They want to know what to get me ASAP. :/

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 16
For a few tens more you can get the Sennheiser HD598.  Those are excellent long time listening cans.  I give mine a 3-5 hours work out daily.  I use em for just about anything/everything.  If I recall correctly it should pair up nicely enough with the Qinpu, but an amp isn't really needed.  Or you could go for a Sennheiser 558 for a under 200.  I heard with a bit of modding you can get em sounding close to the 598. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
For a few tens more you can get the Sennheiser HD598.  Those are excellent long time listening cans.  I give mine a 3-5 hours work out daily.  I use em for just about anything/everything.  If I recall correctly it should pair up nicely enough with the Qinpu, but an amp isn't really needed.  Or you could go for a Sennheiser 558 for a under 200.  I heard with a bit of modding you can get em sounding close to the 598. 

+1 on the 598.  You can get a refurbed pair on amazon for around 170.  I use to own a pair of 558's and did the foam removal mod, still doesn't compare to the 598s.  I know they both supposedly use the same driveres, but the housing of the 598's just makes it noticeably smoother and more relaxing sounding than the 558s even when modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back