About to pull the trigger on a Schiit Valhalla. Any comments for a newbie?
Nov 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RandomShortGuy

New Head-Fier
Hey all, 

After finally landing a decent paying job, I've been slowly upgrading my computer over the past 6 months.

I'm mainly a gamer (casual, not competitive)  but I've recently delved into lossless audio (Rock, Jazz, and Electronica). As of now I'm running a Maverick D1 to my ATH-m50s. I just purchased a pair of DT990/600. I've been trying to figure out what amp I'd like to pair with it. I was looking at a Bottlehead Crack, but I don't feel I have the time to build it (50 hours a week at work, college, and trying to find time to spend with the girlfriend) and the Little Dot MkIII (the $45 shipping drove me away from that). After abusing the search feature to no end, I kept seeing the Schiit Valhalla being recommended with the DTXX0/600s. 

I was about to pull the trigger when I did a search in the amp section, and what do you know, a Little Dot MKIII pops up for $180 with additional tubes.

My question is, should I just stick with the Schiit Valhalla? Or save $200 and go with the LD MkIII?

Thanks all!

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 9
While not having used either of the amps in question, my word is only worth so much. That said, Schiit does, indeed, make quality products, so you definitely can't go wrong with that purchase. Personally, I would save the $200 and go for the LD MkIII. It'll provide plenty of power for your phones, offer tons of options for tube rolling, and still be pretty decent in terms of quality.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 9
If in doubt, just refer to Skylab's ranking :wink:

SKYLAB!!!
gs1000.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-32-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm currently enjoying my Valhalla with both DT-880 and DT-990s.  I miss the ability to tube roll (tweakers never lose the desire to tweak!) - but aside from that, I'm astonished at how dead quiet the unit is, and effortless the music is sounding with this combo.

I still have the itch to build a Crack but I can definitely recommend the amp. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomShortGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just purchased a pair of DT990/600. I've been trying to figure out what amp I'd like to pair with it. […]

I’m using this combination with great pleasure in my home. In my opinion the Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω and the Schiit Valhalla make an excellent match.

Werner.

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 9
 I've heard so many good things about pairing the Beyers with the Valhalla. I would say still go for that.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 9
I picked up a Valhalla to pair with my DT990/600 phones, and I am literally at a point where I do not have upgrade-itis anymore.

The combo is ridiculous for most genres.

Compared to other amps I've used with the cans (Graham Slee line, Matrix M-Stage, Fiio E9), I never say "but I wish it did this differently" with the Valhalla.

Mind you, I find the bass doesn't hit as hard with the Valhalla as it did with other amps.  The treble, on the other hand, has this crazy sparkle that makes cymbals and guitar picks sound great, and the midrange gets brought into the mix quite a bit better.  Love it.  A lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back