Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 566

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to head-fi and I normally do not write impressions as I feel not knowledgeable enough to write some but after taking delivery of my Raptor two hours ago, I feel like I have to write this.

I AM ABSOLUTELY FLOORED BY THIS AMP!!!!!

Coming from a Melos SHA-1 to the Raptor is most definitely an upgrade, esp. for my HD600s. I previously thought the the HD600 was waaay too neutral for me in fact, it was so easy to get uninvolved and just put my cans down. With the Raptor, I cannot believe how great the bass reproduction is - deep and creamy but still accurate. The overall presence of the music is much improved too.

Previously, I couldn't see how I can sit down and spend more than an hour and a half without taking off my cans, but I've been glued to my rig since I opened this package!

Anyway, thanks Ray for a great product! My single ended amp journey ends here!
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 566
Congrats - glad you found happiness!

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 566
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Nice to see that you really enjoy the Raptor.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, thanks Ray for a great product! My single ended amp journey ends here!
smile.gif

Ya right...
tongue.gif

Congrats on your new toy!

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 566
Raffy, very glad you are enjoying your new Raptor. IMO it is a very nice sounding unit. Not as tubey as some all tube amps but very fast, detailed, and clear. As I recall it has very good extension.

Now, post some pictures.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 566
Congratulations on your new amp. I picked up a used Raptor a short while back and have been floored by how it has improved the sound of my 650s. Tight, extended bass, smooth highs, natural timbre and much improved PRaT. There is no doubt that a powerful amp can really make the Senns sing.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raffy, Not as tubey as some all tube amps but very fast, detailed, and clear.

Are you implying that the Raptor is not an all tube amp? I agree that it is not as tubey as some other all tube amps, but it is, nonetheless, an OTL tube amp. It was just designed by Ray to exhibit more of the typical solid state features and less of the tube lushness.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you implying that the Raptor is not an all tube amp? I agree that it is not as tubey as some other all tube amps, but it is, nonetheless, an OTL tube amp. It was just designed by Ray to exhibit more of the typical solid state features and less of the tube lushness.

No, I am actually saying the same thing you just did. You just did it better.
redface.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 566
Gratz on this fine amp! Waiting for those pics...

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 566
Congratulations! Its a great amp! Also, Ray's service is fantastic.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Its a great amp! Also, Ray's service is fantastic.

It truly is a great amp...BTW, what tubes are you using for your Raptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back