Accepting money from overseas
Sep 15, 2010 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mr.Sneis

Headphoneus Supremus
So this is peachy, how am I supposed to accept money from overseas if they don't use paypal or credit card?

Outside of the huge questions it raises, what are some additional ways I can protect myself during the process when selling?

Walking away also comes to mind ;(

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 14
bankers draft also known as a demand draft/bankers cheque.demand cheque,.... if you dont want to give out your banking details.

it'll cost about the same as a transfer for the buyer.

the buyer actually buys a cheque from the bank, giving them the money physically, so their money is in the system, unlike standard cheques where the money is drawn out from your account when it is cashed,....

they then mail the cheque to you, and you send it to your bank. your bank will collect the funds from the system and credit your account.

all you have to give the buyer is your full name as on your bank account and where to mail the cheque to.

the only downside, if you're in a tiny city or out in the country it might take a while for your bank to figure out what it needs to do to get the money,.... but it will. phoenix shouldnt be a problem though.

i've bought things this way and while i havent sold anything using this method, i have sent myself a draft back in the day when i wanted to move money across borders but didnt want to carry cash. it works nicely, just a bit slow, but secure.

good luck.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
So this is peachy, how am I supposed to accept money from overseas if they don't use paypal or credit card?

Outside of the huge questions it raises, what are some additional ways I can protect myself during the process when selling?

westernunion.my country doesnt support paypal so i use WU all the time.its very easy and conveniant.the downside is that the sender will have to pay relatively high fees.if for example he send $1000,he will pay $45 for fees.

and actually the sender is the one who have to protect himself from you
wink.gif
. once you retrieve the cash,it is impossible for him to do anything but to wait for the package you send.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 14
You could have them send you an international money order, as well. Also, I'd recommend shipping with a private carrier rather than the USPS. The USPS usually hands off to the other country's postal service, which screws up tracking, insurance, etc. FedEx and others handle packages the entire way, so you only have one throat to choke if something goes wrong.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 14
EMS, whatever that stands for through USPS or any other national postal service is usually pretty good and cheap.

I have yet to have anything go missing whenever i've had something come through them.

also the tracking is pretty good if you go through your postal service's website. 

fedex and dhl will also tend to hand things over to other carriers in certain countries if their presence isnt that strong, it depends on where really.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Wire transfer.
Meaning they transfer money directly to you bank account. Look up IBAN

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Let me guess... a Nigerian prince wants to send you money? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 14
this topic is about me ,I am a guy that Mr sneis is talking about , I am a new member plus no feedback and ,I don't have paypal . 
but listen ,that's why I prefer to transfer  by Western Union ,because it's the best way to be safe for him mr.sneis <seller> but it's the most dangerous way for buyer like me because ,
ect, after I have already sent money to seller I can't do anything and no way to get money back even seller never ship to me. but I prefer to pay this way because of very good feedback from him and want to try my best to make him feel free 
in this case I'm a buyer who has nothing to protect my self because I don't have like paypal protection , but this way for me I think it's fair enough because Mr. sneis and had a good feedback .that made me feel free to pay by western union . 

in this case , with  western union payment , what els seller can be cheated by buyer? if seller keep doing the right he has about <never ship anything untill get 100% full price paid from buyer>.
but think about buyer side , what els buyer can be cheated by seller.? of cause the answer is happening in everyday with online market.

I know ,Now is the bad time for a new member who want to sale anything  on head fi . but please I am just a buyer  .

ps. Dear TheAudioDude unfortunately  , if I am a prince of Nigerian , I will take flight with private jet to AZ to meet up Mr.sneis and pay him cash directly to his hand . no need papal and credit card at all

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi TingTing, I appreciate you posting.  I'm just trying to be as cautious as possible, believe it or not I have had more than one very bad experience on head-fi before!  To be quite honest the experiences were very damaging to me personally.

I think that what TheAudioDude may be implying is that it is a very common scam for a "nigerian price" to offer you a large sum of money in excess of what it is you're selling and then have the difference sent back to the scammer along with the product.  You could imagine the transfer is nothing but a fraud so the seller is left with a negative balance AND loss of his item. 

These types of scams were very prevalent maybe 1-2 years ago but things have changed over the years and the scammers have gotten much better at what they do.  In my opinion our laws and payment systems on the other hand have only gotten worse.  How cool would it be to run a business addressing both of these issues
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 14
honestly Mr.Sneis,there is nothing you can be afraid of with doing transaction with TingTing.he uses westernunion and by this way it is impossible  for him to scam you.once the cash is retrieved by you,nothing can be done by him.you just give him your name,city and amount of money and he will pay you.he then gives you a number and his name and you then go to your nearest westernunion location and give them the number and name and you get the cash.its as simple as that.
you can check westernunion.com for the nearest location near you.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 14
shot process for western union transfer
buyer  will be : sender 
and seller will be  : receiver 

process for sender
1 :after finished the deal , sender and receiver must exchange the personal information   
: full name, that must be exactly the same as appear on his ID card
: amount 
for other information it's will be just optional  like , address,

2 : sender walk to western union counter with cash and receiver information to fill in the form <send money form>
with cash follow amount plus transfer rate fee and sign. officer will give you a receipt . in the receipt will show about personal information 
both of sender and receiver same as the form ,in the receipt will also show up the important 10 digits code. call MTCN code .
check it all about information if correct . then sign , officer will keep a copy of receipt and give you the original one
please note : do not throw away the receipt until the receiver get money

3:sender must give 10 digits MTCN code in the receipt to receiver , by phone call ,by e mail,

finished for sender process

process for receiver

1 :after get MTCN code from sender by phone or by email then walk to western union counter 
with ID  card and personal information of sender  to fill in the <receive money form>
in the form including MTCN , name of sender , amount , 
give the form back and let the officer checking information with your ID to prove that you are the person in the name of receiver

2 :get cash as followed by amount in the form

finished for receiver process 

all process can be done as soon as receiver get MTCN from sender it's automatically since sender finish sending process

it's very fast and easy that's why  the western union transfer fee charge is too hight , that the only thing for only side of sender to be concern with 

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for that info guys!   Just to be clear tingting,I hope I did not make you feel alienated or anything by creating this post.  I just wanted to get some recommendations about being safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back