ACK! Should I keep them or return and replace them? (Monster Beats Tour)
Jan 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TechMechanik

Formerly known as Faustous
Been using a set of Zune Premium headphones for quite some time. But, I have finally gotten fed up with the microphonics (is this correct) of the cable rubbing.

And the seal sucks... so no decent bass.

I wanted to stick with IEMs, cause the Zune's were the first ones that didn't hurt when I used them... so I am hopeful that things had changed for me.

Well, I went to my local Apple Store (cause there isn't really any decent place around, that I know of) to purchase a set of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4VI (I have a Blackberry Storm that I could use them on), and saw the Etymotic HF2 for $179, the UEs for $149 and then noticed the Beats also at $149.

The manager, and headphone guru, suggested the Ety's, but really, I didn't even want to spend $149... I was looking more for $99 (Was also looking at V-Moda Vibes). Well, we got to talking, and since there is a 14 day return AND he was curious as well about the Beat Tours... I got them.

I get back to my office and put them in... they do stick out ALOT. And to get a good seal, I need to use the larger single flange (the triples go too deep for me). The sound is decent but I am not an IEM expert.
smily_headphones1.gif

So: should I keep these or are the other pairs out there (UE or Ety) actually better.

Listening: At work.
Music: Drum and Bass, Classic Rock, Metal, First Wave

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 2
I can not say anything about the particular etys or ues you mentioned but i was wondering if you got a chance to look at shures. I find them super comfortable (nice ergonomics with cable angle and earphone shape so they fit snug in your (or at least my) ears) and if you get a model with MPA, they work well as a headset... the se110 are around $100 and se210 are $150, with the mpa they are $125 or $180, though they can be found cheaper online
in my opinion they trounce the vibes in sound quality, though i haven't tried the other models you've mentioned, i'm sure they stack up well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back