acustic piano + closed headphones: AKG/sennheiser? Shure? plz help!!!
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lorcar

New Head-Fier
hi everyone
first time poster here

recently started to study piano again, and I chose an acustic piano Yamaha B1 with Yamaha Silent System, meaning I can plug a headphone and the sound comes from a digitalization of piano music. So even if the piano itself is off tune, the sound I will listen in the headphone will always be ok. 

Now I have to choose the headphones, and I am completely ignorant on the subject. I think I'll prefer closed rather than open. I had an instictive love for AKG, but tried Sennheiser on and they felt incredibly confortable.

So, first requirement: closed (even though I am not yet completely sure as people say closed sound worse than open ones)
Then I thought that having a detachable replacable cable is a very good option. 
Then, why not having them foldable? it would be great, but realistically I never listen to music on the go, and when I get on a plane I have earbuds, and wonder how often I will carry the new bigger headphones....

so my choice at the moment focused on these models:

SENN HD 380 pro, which fits all the 3 criteria. 

AKG K 271:  I can find the STUDIO model, which I read it has been discontinued, more easily than the MKII. And to be honest I am not sure about the difference between the Studio and MKII

Then today I discovered Shure SRH840 and 440 as well...

Or Sennheiser 439 (not collapsible) and AKG 240 MKII in case I chose the not closed...

As you guys see I am still pretty confused....

which one do you think are the requirements I should really focus on? I listen to classic/camera/opera/jazz music only but do not have good stereo, and sometime use the ipod. I have never listened music with headphones before, besides sometime radio streaming on the pc, or on a plane with Ipod. This just to give you a real picture of how I will use the headphone. Which are mainly for studying piano

thanks really a lot in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back