adapter for older alo docking cable (works with my ipod nano 2g, but not my itouch 3g
Jul 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 10
The older LOD's for iPod were a simple 3 pin connection (2,3, and 5 I think).
Newer iPod touches and iPhones require a resistor jumper wire from pins 11 & 15 to pin 21 inside the LOD for functionality.

I am not sure what type of sonic degradation you would get but I would think there would be some (whether audible or inaudible) for passing through a second series of connections and having a jack'd connection rather than a wired connection.

Also with a dock stub and a LOD you're going to have dock that's over 2" sticking out the back of your iPod.

I would just get a new LOD....
Head Direct has a reasonable one http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=68
Or a more impressive one http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=69
iBasso has an affordable one http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=55

Or get one of the guys on this site who builds them to hook you up.
Then you can sell me your older Alo LOD because I have a 5th gen Ipod :wink:

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 10
my ipod 5.5g is an imod, so i would not use the alo cable for that (you need a special cable for the imods) - my alo lod cable will work with my ipod nano 2g, but not with my ipod touch 3g.  it's a pretty cable, so i'd like to hang on to it, even though i don't use my nano 2g much, but that's why i'm wondering whether there's an adapter that would enable me to use the cable for my ipod touch 3g, which i do use more than the nano 2g ...

i suppose i would be willing to do an even steven swap for a similar alo cable that is compatible with the ipod touch 3g, if anyone has one (not posting this in the classifieds, since i just thought of this, and i'm lukewarm to the idea still...)

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10
thanks all ... well, i do have an old ALO LOD cable, a bit discolored, that i'll try out when i get home from my business trip, that might work.  dumb question, i didn't cause any harm to my ipod touch 3g by using the wrong LOD cable, did i?  (i know that the wrong LOD is an absolute no-no with the imod). 

i'm still open, by the way, to any suggestions ...

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 10
you know, it's been a long time since i bought a cable from them (and it was a different one; i bought this one second hand off of head-fi); i'm not sure they'd be willing to do that, but i guess it can't hurt to ask - if they can do it at a nominal fee, i would definitely go for it.  i'll let you know what i hear...

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 10
well, sure enough, alo said they can't do the mod - no big deal, as i have an old lod cable i can use, even if, cosmetically, it isn't as pretty as this one.  this is what they had to say:  

Unfortunately we can't change the terminations on our LOD cables.  The reason is that we re-enforce the terminations with special epoxy that has a great dialectic property to help keep the cables in place.  This especially important for portable cables which are, by their nature, subjected to rigorous use.  

oh well - i'll just use my old lod cable, if i can find it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back