[Advice] Headphones for DnB and dubstep for around 100$?
Jun 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iTzTECHKiNG

New Head-Fier
What headphones would you guys recommend for Dubstep/DnB music around $100?
I'm a heavy dubstep listener, pratically the ONLY thing I listen to now-a-days.
I just want my ears to explode from the epicness of the headphones, Hearing stuff I couldn't before with gay skullcandys.
Something that gives people EARGASMS when they use them.

I was thinking about some ATH-M50's or some Sennheiser HD555.

What do you guys say?

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 11
The M50's would be your better choice over the HD555's as  are known to have more bass then the HD555.Also I seen both Ultrasone HFI-550s and ultrasone Pro-550s for under 100 dollars on amazon. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 11
The HD555 ain't gonna give no "mainstream" ears any eargasms...

Neither will the M50, frankly. The peeps shall wow at the amazing clarity and detail, but ain't gonna be impressed with its bass ('cause you know, they be wanting them basses).

Alright back on track, for dubstep Ultrasone and Sony are kings, more so for Ultrasone as they have the treble required for such songs. The best choice for Ultrasone would be the HFI-580 (the most bassy of the HFI lineup), having tight, exceptionally clear bass while leaving the mids and the highs untouched (you don't want any bass to overpower other stuff in the song, do you?).

If you're looking for massive WTFOMGTS bass, two options. XB500 (RPG, help me out here) or the ATH-Pro700 MKII.

More details in my review in my sig.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 11

The XB500's are pretty cheap but give wtfomg bass right? But what about everything else? Cuz for it's price I'd get them right now.
and what if you use this: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=pd_sim_e_20
Would it be much of a difference?
Quote:
The HD555 ain't gonna give no "mainstream" ears any eargasms...

Neither will the M50, frankly. The peeps shall wow at the amazing clarity and detail, but ain't gonna be impressed with its bass ('cause you know, they be wanting them basses).

Alright back on track, for dubstep Ultrasone and Sony are kings, more so for Ultrasone as they have the treble required for such songs. The best choice for Ultrasone would be the HFI-580 (the most bassy of the HFI lineup), having tight, exceptionally clear bass while leaving the mids and the highs untouched (you don't want any bass to overpower other stuff in the song, do you?).

If you're looking for massive WTFOMGTS bass, two options. XB500 (RPG, help me out here) or the ATH-Pro700 MKII.

More details in my review in my sig.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 11
What's your source? XB500 is far from impressive detail-wise without any EQ adjustments (too excessive upper bass & a little bit too rolled-off highrange mainly) but they respond well to it so I'd only recommend if you for example use some Apple device so you could grab EQu for example or use some soundcard other than the built-in Realtek or whatever but yes they have OMGWTFBBQ bass quantity though as well as being very comfortable. If EQ capabilities on a reasonably good EQ isn't possible then I'd also vote PRO700MK2. Ultrasone HFI-580 should be OK'ish too, not quite as bassy in exchange for more treble but there's IMO a sliiiiight lack for very deep bass IMO as this headphone focuses mostly on tight midbass and a bit below that range, say 60~100Hz or so but below that it's a bit rolled off and for dubstep this is audible, it's not as "full"-sounding as I'd concider optimal for that genre, with EQing it can probably be improved quite a lot.

Hmm then again both pro700mk2 and hfi-580 are above $100... Sony XB500 & XB700 are great options below $100 for these genres. XB700 should also be concidered but I think it wants some form of amping b4 starts sounding really great, otherwise the bass response is slightly lacking (loose/uncontrolled, lacks punch). I didn't think E5 was quite enough for XB700 to sound optimal, it wants quite a lot of current which E5 DOESN'T provide.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 11
i would look into the sony mdr-v700's can be found for 100 and be the bass you looking for. the Technics RP-DH1200 are also a good choice but little above 100.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I recommend the Kicker HP541.. Only around $50. Very very overlooked headphone.. You can buy 2 of these for your goal price.. How they sound?..They are amazing for the price and the Bass on these are no joke and is the only cans I own that I seriously warn others about sound levels. They can permanently damage your ear drums. Closed LOUD precision.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 11
go test xb 500 and beats by dre and bose at local best buy, then give your impressions, i think this would give a good reference to what you are looking for.

If not, then i personally would buy xb 500, i think they are good for the price. But i would strongly suggest you listen to some first for reference. If you were, to say, like the bose over the xb 500, i woudn't reccomend the xb 500.

point being we probably differ on what we think sound good. you think about IEM's at all?

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 11
The Denon AH-D1100 is above your budget, but will suit your musical preferences. I can say that because i also listen to a lot of dnb and dubstep. These headphones have not let me down yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back