Advice needed for a new sound card T_T!
Jan 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I think I've been lurking for far too long and I'm still undecided.

I currently use the X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card and I feel that this is probably the weakest link.

For headphones, I use the primarily the Beyer DT880 and Grado SR325i's and listen mostly to trance and rock.

EDIT: I will be using the Audioengine A2's and my options are no longer limited to just sound cards, given that I can use my current amp to power the speakers.

PS: I'm very, very noob at this.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently eyeing the E-MU 1212M / Asus Xonar DX. My budget should be around $100-$150

1212m is a recording card, you'll be better with Xonar DX I guess.
I happened to see this thread discussing about the 2 you mentioned above, for your reference:

Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... a bit waste of the 4in/4out and those XLR connectivities...

I mean, since you're only using it for music and movie sort of purpose, why additional 60 bucks for those none movie/music related functions?

Plus, 1212m is using CS4398, the component spec is listed as 120dB, and they also listed 120 dB SNR as the 1212m SPEC, which is literally not possible for product spec to match component spec, my guess is true spec is around 114~118dB at best.....

Xonar DX is also using CS4398, and their spec is listed as 118.

Anyways, I personally thought DX is really a better choice, not just beacuse of the price/performance ratio, but also for the Dolby functions for better movie/music enjoyments (Dolby Digital Live, Dolby PrologicIIx, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virutal Speaker)...

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 10
After reading more about the DX, it seems they aren't too good with gaming.

I'm about to get my Audioengine A2's tomorrow and I really want to throw out my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music.

So I'm really hoping for suggestions, just any decent sound card that would be better than the Xtreme Music would be great--and hopefully you guys don't confuse me more by recommending USB DACs. Or actually.. if a USB DAC is recommended, would I be able to plug my speakers into my headphone amp? (See signature).

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 10
well you aren't using the X-Fi then, so whats the issue with it? the lyrix is whats giving you D/A and amplification

if you wanted to go with an internal soundcard, it looks as though the lyrix can also accept a line input (looks like a quite versatile unit, to be honest, very neat), so going with something like the 1212m would be an option, although I'm not sure what kind of improvements you'd notice

you might consider changing from the lyrix to the 0404 USB, if you like the hp amp quality the same, as it will give you more input/output ability for your speakers and headphones

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 10
I was always told the X-Fi will sound bad and I guess I was always under the impression that there's no way a headphone amp like the lyrix can drive speakers--since its a headphone amp.

Are you saying that I was always able to drive speakers through my little headphone amp?

*Feels stupid*

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 10
no, you cannot drive speakers from a headphone amplifier*, you need a lineout source for your speakers (as Audioengine's are active) which either the X-Fi or a better USB solution can provide (the lyrix, as far as I know, cannot)

*= there are a few that can push enough current to drive passive loudspeakers, such as the Luxman P-1 and a few of the bigger Singlepower units

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 10
I guess the issue is just that I want a better source for these speakers.

If someone can recommend something cheaper than the 1212M, that would be great. Else, I guess I will go with that and try to save up a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back