Advice on comfortable, well isolating neutral IEM ~$300
Mar 8, 2018 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jegarn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I am looking for a new IEM for traveling, commuting and open office environment.

I tried Bosse and Sonys different ANC headphones after reading good reviews but was turned off by the SQ which I found to lack detail and precision and they had way too
much bass.

This turned my attention to IEMs which I have used in the past, Shure e2c and TF10, but stopped using since it wasn’t comfortable for longer periods. I have narrow ear channels.

Trying to understand what’s offered 10 years after I got into IEMs in he first place I now find too many options to know where to start. If you could give me some guidance it would be much appreciated.

Source: iPhone 7
Genres: mainly electronic, HipHop, rock, ambient and classical
Headphones/IEM/speakers I like: AKG k701, TF10, Grado, Kef ls50

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 5
flc 8s, its tunable but it does have a base sound signature. its bass and sub bass filters greatly affect the sound and can give you anywhere from bass light, neutral, to bass heavy. I noticed we share some music interests, i listen to mostly electronic, some ambient, and classical music. If you're not into tip rolling, you should get into that. i think if you really wanted, you can get entry-level customs at your budget. avara and alclair come to mind.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi Jegarn,

Before I get to some recommendations, just let me say when I first started the in ear game a long time ago, it took a while to figure out good tips to use, I have a similar issue with narrow ear channels so I can relate.

I use comply foam in medium size which works best for me especially when in ears loop over the ears though I have tried silicone in the past but very few silicone have actually worked for any length of time.
It has been noted by myself & others around this forum sometimes tips, be it foam or silicone, should actually be a smaller size than most think.
Sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation to find what works for you.
Another thing which is overlooked when evaluating good seal & isolation in the ear is how loud a source is as depending on volume, ears can get quickly faitgued without the wearer being aware though it is important to note even at low volume levels, ears can still get fatigued after a few hours.

Here are some iems in no particular order :

iBasso IT01
Audio Technica E 70
Meze 12 Classics
1more Triple Driver
1more Quad Driver
Shure 215 SE

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for your input.

I ended up getting the Etymotic ER3XR taking your advice that finding the right tips will give me the comfort I want. Detachable cable was another criteria since I’ve gone through 4 cables on my other IEMs.

So far I’m happy with it. Isolation is great and the bass is much better then expected, can’t see why anyone would like more :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for your input.

I ended up getting the Etymotic ER3XR taking your advice that finding the right tips will give me the comfort I want. Detachable cable was another criteria since I’ve gone through 4 cables on my other IEMs.

So far I’m happy with it. Isolation is great and the bass is much better then expected, can’t see why anyone would like more :)
welcome to the tip rollers club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back