Advice on New Stereo AV Receiver/Amp/DAC for Limited Budget
Jun 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HuoYuanJia

Previously known as Ultrazino
Member of the Trade: HEDD Audio
Hi,
I use a Technics SA-EX140 and it's boring me to hell. Low frequencies (like explosions in movies) sound horrible! Short: Need to replace it.

This is what I need:
At least 1x RCA in (two would be great)
At least 1x Optical in
At least 1x Digital in

This is what I use it for:
85% music (Jazz, Rock, Classical, Pop)
10% movies
5% video games

80% headphones
20% speakers

This is what I like:
Warm sound
Punchy but not overpowered bass
Big soundstage

I'd like to keep the price as low as possible, but I will take a look into anything you can recommend me that will fulfill my needs.
Eventually I will also replace my old quadral speakers.

Is there even any amp that can drive headphones well? I'd usually prefer a headphone amp/DAC combo but sometimes (20%) my wife wants in on the fun, so... :wink:

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 5

- Would help if you give more info.
- Sure. Thanks for your time!

- What's your price range for buying this receiver?
- I was hoping I can get something decent for like 400 €. Used or new, doesn't matter.

- Will you be buying a subwoofer?
- I'm not so sure if that would help greatly. I only know of PC 2.1 systems and the subwoofers with those sound horrible.

- What make / model speakers are you using?
- I currently own two Quadral SX-1750.

- What is the approximate size of the room?
- I'm a student and my wife's and my sleeping/TV room is approx. 18 m². When we move out/finish our studies I doubt it will be bigger than 25 m².

- When you replace your speakers / sub, what will your price range likely be?
- Really depends on what you can recommend in combination with the amp.My emphasis does lie on headphones, though, as that's my preferred way of listening to music.
Is there any amplifier that does get most out of the HFi-780 without being a dedicated headphone amp? If not, I was also thinking about splitting up movies and music altogether, e.g. going for a soundbar (Yamaha YHT-S400) and a Audio GD Compass/Tianyun Zero DAC. In case of the Zero that would be 400 + 80 = 480 € and no need to get new speakers and being able to sell the old setup.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 5
I suggest not buying a receiver to solve your two audio problems. 

Post a new thread specifically seeking help with driving your Ultrasones.  State your budget for this in the thread's title. Search "HFI780" for more info.

FWIR...
Your receiver + speakers won't put out below 40 Hz and may not be hitting very hard in the 40 Hz to 60 Hz range. The cheapest way to get boom for explosions from your receiver / speakers is to add a subwoofer for 2.1 home theater. I suggest considering the Bic Acoustech H100 Cinema Series Powered Subwoofer, and try setting its variable crossover to 60 Hz. Then use the rest of your budget for handling your Ultrasones. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks a lot for your help. My old stereo system is 10 years old but I didn't expect it to be that bad. Unfortunately the receiver does not have an option to connect a subwoofer.

For now I have ordered the Tianyun Zero DAC 09 Edition with upgrade directly from China and will wait for a friend to bring it over. For 80 € this seems to be the cheapest way of getting more out of my Ultrasones.

I will then save up to the end of the year and replace my stereo system completely. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back