Advice - Pairing Onkyo DP-X1A with Portable Headphone Amp Neccessary?
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

garetjax27

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to pair my Onkyo DP-X1A with a portable headphone amp. I am using a pair of UE TripeFi 10's with my DP-X1A. I listen to a lot of EDM primarily (trance, dubsetp, chillstep, etc.), so good bass representation/reproduction is important to me.

1) Do I even need a headphone amp if I'm using a DP-X1A with a pair of UE TripleFi 10?

2) If I would benefit from a portable headphone amp with the DP-X1A, which amp would be best for my needs? I would be looking at around a $500 budget.

I am open to all suggestions and opinions and options! Thanks!

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 2
DP-X1A is designed for IEM with a relatively low power amp. I find it too weak to bring up some micro details so it will sounds slightly more engaging if you equip it with an amp. If you are listening to EDM, the first portable amp comes to my mind is FIIO A5. The size of A5 is around the same as DP-X1A so you can stack them together almost perfectly. It comes with bass boost so if you want more bass you can always on the bass boost.

A lot of people think that amp is designed for those power hungry headphone and it is just solely amplify the signal. Amp actually change the sound signature, some emphasis more on mids and some emphasis on lows and highs. I like Continental V5 from ALO audio (hybrid - Solid State + Tube) because it is able to neutralize the analytical signature of my Campfire Audio - less fatigue and smoother presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back