Advices about best DAC/AMP combo for Meze 99 Classics?
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FantaVision

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm really happy with my Meze 99 Classics and I want to improve by buying a new DAC and (eventually) AMP combo that i can. I said "eventually" because I guess that 99C are quite easy to drive with their 32Ohm impedence, so i'm searching expecially for a good DAC with a 3.5mm out.
My budget is max 400€ and I saw:
1) Project Pre Box S2, which is what attracts me most because it's also preamplifier and in future i could buy an amplifier;
2)IFi nano dsd Black Label, (it's small IMHO, i don't really care about portability) but i read that has a very good synergy with my 99C.
3)Oehlbach XXL DAC Ultra;
4)Aune X1s;
5)Cambridge audio DAC Magic Plus (but I read that there are better products);

I saw the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC (I guess Musical Fidelity is a top brand in HiFi) but it's only DAC and has not a 3.5mm out. Is the v90's dac really better that any other dac that I listed above? Could it be a good idea if i bought the v90 and pair with an headphone amplifier???

Thanks!! :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the answer, i'll consider it. Is there anything better for around 300/400€?
If you can stretch to 400€ then I would definitely get a Chord Mojo. I managed to get mine for €370 new incl. shipping.
The Mojo is using very powerful proprietary technology to reconstruct the original sound and it really works. Very smooth and natural, yet full of details, very accurate soundstage etc...
With the Mojo you are well prepared for future upgrades of your headphones or IEMs :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Do they need amp for portable use. I have a Cayin N5 that has a lot of power to drive ( Focal Spirit Pro) I have these on my to buy list, I have been told that they have a sound that area!!y enhances vocals. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back