Advise Needed: Little Dot MK III vs MK IV SE vs Others
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zer010gic

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for a sub $500 preamp/headphone amp. I have been looking at the Little Dot MK series of amps and they look quite promising. I am using a single source (VPI Scoutmaster) and will be going into a solid state amp (NAD C272). I am also using Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

What I need to know is which of these amps will give me the best sound quality both in terms of sound stage and frequency spectrum? I am also open to any other brands in the same price range.

Corey

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 15
The III has great bang for the buck without doubt. The IV has better parts and more power. The SE gets better connectors and tubes. All are solid performers and run very very well with my 650's.

Since you mentioned that you are pre-amping, I would recommend the IV. Then perhaps upgrade the tubes to suit your taste.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you look at Woo Audio, WA3+ is less than 500.

I did not see that the WA3 had preamp capabilities. How would the WA3 compare to the LD MKIV SE?

Corey

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Personally I dislike the LD's compared to other amps, just to let you know not everyone is a fan.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not see that the WA3 had preamp capabilities. How would the WA3 compare to the LD MKIV SE?

Corey

Woo 3 does, woo 3+ does not.

Woo 3 spec:
# Technical Specifications: Headphones impedance : 30-600 Ohms
# Input impedance: 100 Kilo-Ohms
# Frequency response: 8 Hz - 100 KHz -3dB
# Signal/Noise: 95 dB
# THD: <= 0.08%
# Pre-amp Gain: 10 dB
# Voltage: AC 110/220V, 50/60 Hz
# External dimension: 6"(H), 5½"(W), 13"(D)
# Weight: 10 lbs

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 15
I think a LD MkIII+some nice tubes is a better choice than MKIV SE. Saving money+fun of tube rolling.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm personally very happy with my Little Dot MK IV SE, I've had zero issues with it. Customer service is top notch. Eventually I'm going to use it as a preamp, but I haven't got that far yet.

Everyone has been going crazy over Woo Audio lately it seems. For me personally the LD was a better value. The specs line up perfectly with my HD650 'phones. The HD650's are 300 ohm with a max power input of 500mW.

Everyone will probably say what they currently own is the best, so take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Tech specs of the MK IV (copied from www.little-tube.com):

[size=small]SEPP (Singled-ended Push Pull) OTL in Class-A[/size]
[size=small]Frequency response: 10 hz~100 Khz (-1dB)[/size]
[size=small]THD+N: 0.1% (100 mW @ 300 ohm)[/size]
[size=small]Power Output:[/size]
[size=small]500 mW @ 300/600 ohm[/size]
[size=small]300 mW @ 120 ohm[/size]
[size=small]100 mW @ 32 ohm[/size]
[size=small]Power Consumption: 30W (228V x 0.133A) [/size]
[size=small]Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x[/size]
[size=small]Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm[/size]
[size=small]Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 10K ohm[/size]
[size=small]Pre-Amplifier Gain: 3-10x (also controlled via gain switches)[/size]
[size=small]Pre-Amplifier Voltage: 10V RMS[/size]
[size=small]Pre-Amplification circuit includes both driver and power tubes[/size]
[size=small]Driver Tubes: 2x JAN 5654 (MK IV) or 2x M8100 (MK IV SE)[/size]
[size=small]Power Tubes: 2x Soviet 6H30EH (MK IV) or 2x 6H30PI Gold-Pin (MK IV SE)[/size]
[size=small]High quality aluminum chassis[/size]
[size=small]Neutrik Headphone Jack (SE version only)[/size]
[size=small]American CMC/Van Den Hul RCA Jacks (SE version only)[/size][size=small]
[/size][size=small]Dimensions (Metric): 320mm deep by 220mm wide by 143mm high[/size]
[size=small]Dimensions (English): 12.6 inches deep by 8.66 inches wide by 5.62 inches[/size]
[size=small]Weight: 3.5 Kg or 7.7 lbs[/size]
[size=small]1 Year Little Dot Warranty (2 Year Little Dot Warranty for MK IV SE)[/size]

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Little Dots are great VFM. I love my HD 650's on my Micro Tube.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 15
I had the exact same question three weeks ago. My limit for my first "serious" amp was $500 but I'm not using the Senns. I'm using the AKG K701 which many say is not ideal for use with an OTL tube amp. Others say they are fine.
After reading a ton of Head-Fi threads and reviews, I decided to go with the MKIV SE, which should ship in early Feb.

Minutes after submitting payment to Little Tube, David replied saying that it would be 3-4 days before it shipped due to construction and QC testing.
So it sounds like one is being built for my order.

Reading Penchums comments about the Little Dot MK line-up in his MKIV SE review, I think is a very apt synopsis. MKIII is best bang for the buck, MKIV for a more refined and powerful amp, and the MKIV SE is for those who want a great amp and are willing to spend what it takes to get it. That's not a word-for-word quote but that's the gist of it.

I think the Woo Audio product line-up is very nice and they appear to be very high quality products and many Head-Fi'ers are big fans. I just don't care so much for the practice of offering a packaged upgrade at a very premium cost ($300 for one of the models I looked at). It makes me think that I'd be getting an inferior product if I didn't throw out that extra few hundred dollars for the top-shelf components. I'd rather they just build the amp with as high quality parts as possible and just price accordingly.
But I can see how some would prefer to have the option to get the same amp in different forms for more or less money, depending on their tastes and budget.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone has been going crazy over Woo Audio lately it seems.

That probably got something to do with the new president and his economic remodeling.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I personally own the MK3 and MK4. Both are good headphone amps and preamps...I have tried both as preamps and both are good preamps but my heart will go for MK4 with tungsol 5654 driver tubes as preamp setup if your budget permits. The performance is astonishing after good burn in.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 15
The best driver tube for me on my Mk IV is the Mullard M8161. great tubes for most type of music I throw at it.

Tried a lot of EF95's and the M8100 was best for me. Tungsol 6AK5W is a close second

Tried a lot of EF91's also and they are very airy - great for vocals and classical.

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
BUMP!

Can i conclude that LD MK IV SE is much better than LD MK III? Thanks..

Disclaimer: I don't own the MK III so I can't compare...

I bought my MK IV SE back in 2007 when they first came out and haven't had any problems with it.  It has been a wonderful sounding amp with Grado and modded Denon cans.  However, at that time there were limited options for tube rolling and I wanted to experiment.  My solution? Replace the old amp with a new MK IV SE (it has the jumpers for expanded tube rolling).  So now I have a great amp made even greater by the extra options.

So yes, in my opinion, the MK IV SE is an excellent amp and worth the extra coin.  Of course YMMV (Your mileage may vary)...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Anyone need an older version MK IV SE...cheap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back