AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,951 of 5,483
In about a week I ill do a more proper review and comparison with HE-500, Oppo PM-1 and PM-3. Until then, happy listenings! I know I am.

Awesome! The he500 and PM-3s were on my shortlist but I ended up going for the AEONs due to comments saying they sounded very "open". I'm still interested in the others though.
Eagerly awaiting the comparisons!
(I personally strive for transparency as top priority, which is why I went with stax as my main cans, but I needed a closed headphone. Hopefully they compare favorably in this respect against the competition, once I receive mine).

Not really, I have to change the settings on the fixture and re-measure. We use DF comp as that's what Innerfidelity uses, we try to be apples/apples insofar as you can actually do that on different fixtures.

That's understandable, I'm just used to comparing raw measurements with the Harman target curve.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,952 of 5,483
Awesome! The he500 and PM-3s were on my shortlist but I ended up going for the AEONs due to comments saying they sounded very "open". I'm still interested in the others though.
(I personally strive for transparency as top priority, which is why I went with stax as my main cans, but I needed a closed headphone. Hopefully they compare favorably in this respect against the competition, once I receive mine).

That's understandable, I'm just used to comparing raw measurements with the Harman target curve.

Understood, the DF curve has no effect below 1K. Above that things get nonlinear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,953 of 5,483
(I personally strive for transparency as top priority, which is why I went with stax as my main cans, but I did need a closed headphone. Hopefully they compare favorably in this respect against the competition, once I receive mine).

If that is your criterion, I don't think the PM-3's will satisfy you. I enjoy my pair quite a bit, but they are outclassed in terms of transparency and clarity, particularly in the treble, by the HiFiMan 400i's. If you are used to Stax, then you may even dislike the PM-3's. They can are a bit subdued in the treble and, if you EQ down their glarey resonance in the 1-2k region, they sound a little dull and dark. Just a little, and not unpleasantly so, but you can do better for $400 new. Honestly, my interest in the Aeon's was to have a PM-3, so to speak, that lacks all these shortcomings. I will be disappointed (and quite surprised) if the Aeon's don't come out clearly superior in terms of the above.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,954 of 5,483
Per request, here's a measurement before and after for the foam inserts, orange is obviously with foam. Measurements on GRAS 45CA, no compression on the headphone to improve seal, with Diffuse Field compensation, no smoothing. Details to note:

1) It adds about 2-3 dB in the upper bass/lower mid transition
2) Highs above 5K are reduced by about 1-2 dB
3) a minor reduction in output from 1-2K, which I think smooths the mids a bit

Thanks again to everyone who has shared their impressions, your feedback is always appreciated, the pros and the cons.

That looks almost ideal. Are these "foam inserts" the same foam as the Ether and Ether C upgrade foam?

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,955 of 5,483
That looks almost ideal. Are these "foam inserts" the same foam as the Ether and Ether C upgrade foam?

Yes, it's a nice foam. Very low-loss, very consistent, and very soft.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,957 of 5,483
I feel like I've listened to the Aeon enough times and for long enough periods of time to say: these headphones are resistant to listening fatigue. I think it's due to their very balanced sound. Part of the reason I sold the TH-X00 is the bass eventually became tiring. The DT770 has a very forward presentation that also becomes fatiguing. The HD600 is very non-fatiguing, but the Aeon is on a significantly higher tier in terms of sound quality in all respects. Also, I agree with previous posters who've said they're great for gaming.

:)

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,960 of 5,483
a word of warning to aeon owners...the metal ear cup gimbal arms scratch easy. I've been laying mine down on a wood desk at work, and the gimbal arms are the point of contact. and the paint has rubbed off on both, exposing the metal underneath (shiny silver). I don't put them down hard, but it happened. I'm not complaining, just letting others know to be careful with them. it's easily covered up with a black sharpie :wink:

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,963 of 5,483
Is anyone able to compare the Aeons to the Audeze SINE on-ears?

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,964 of 5,483
These AEON's is something insanely good, with chord mojo.

Superb depth and separation and speed.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #1,965 of 5,483
I am pleased to announce that all pre-orders and back orders that are not held to a ship-date have now shipped. You won't have gotten shipping updates; our new store's email send function is not working, we'll have it fixed shortly. Email info@mrspeakers.com if you need the tracking number. New orders will ship within 2 working days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back