Affordable Desktop Audio Rack
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

msing539

Headphoneus Supremus
I searched for many months for an off-the-shelf solution to hold my gear but to no avail. Next logical step was something custom, and I tried my hand at building one, but soon realized that it's a tough undertaking if you don't have the right tools.

Started reaching out to local woodworking shops and they all pretty much told me that if it wasn't $600 minimum, they wouldn't bother. $600 for a simple 2-tier shelf seemed ridiculous to me... I just wanted something simple, functional, yet elegant.

Long story short, I found a great seller on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmatWoodWork who's located in Ukraine.

And he's also here on Head-Fi as a new user @andreyq

Rack was made using materials I requested, is fully modular and can be split into two separate shelves with spikes. Woodwork is beautiful and matches my desk--it looks like a seamless extension. Total cost shipped from Ukraine was under $350 and it was well packed disassembled with rigid foam--mine measures approximately 20" wide x 16" deep x 10" tall and weighs about 25 pounds. And it can be made to your specs.

0726231058c.jpg

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Are you talking about rack that can be put on a desktop table or AV rack in general as I have found those cheap Monolith or Pangea Vulcan to be of good quality at affordable price and are always available at a discount on Amazon.
Not premium quality but very good for price.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Are you talking about rack that can be put on a desktop table or AV rack in general as I have found those cheap Monolith or Pangea Vulcan to be of good quality at affordable price and are always available at a discount on Amazon.
Not premium quality but very good for price.
Yes, I've owned the Pangea and Monolith ones--the problem is the legs are very long and I think the threaded inserts are at the end, so shortening becomes a problem as you lose the threads. Those are fine for AV Receivers and things like that, but a headphone amp and dac are pretty small. The legs I have here are 4.5" and 3.75" and he made me an additional set of legs at 6" in case I ever get something taller. With the spikes, they go up another inch.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Sure--these are photos I received during the build process. Andrey sent like 30 photos... every edge and detail. It's edge joined maple and there's zero smell on mine. It took some time--I believe he let it fully air out before packing.

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.561992789_hcnjjd5rfsowwgck8oko.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.561992789_hcnjjd5rfsowwgck8oko.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 0
  • icm_fullxfull.565543695_4rf472hds8mc8so8sg0s.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.565543695_4rf472hds8mc8so8sg0s.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I searched for many months for an off-the-shelf solution to hold my gear but to no avail. Next logical step was something custom, and I tried my hand at building one, but soon realized that it's a tough undertaking if you don't have the right tools.

Started reaching out to local woodworking shops and they all pretty much told me that if it wasn't $600 minimum, they wouldn't bother. $600 for a simple 2-tier shelf seemed ridiculous to me... I just wanted something simple, functional, yet elegant.

Long story short, I found a great seller on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmatWoodWork who's located in Ukraine.

And he's also here on Head-Fi as a new user @andreyq

Rack was made using materials I requested, is fully modular and can be split into two separate shelves with spikes. Woodwork is beautiful and matches my desk--it looks like a seamless extension. Total cost shipped from Ukraine was under $350 and it was well packed disassembled with rigid foam--mine measures approximately 20" wide x 16" deep x 10" tall and weighs about 25 pounds. And it can be made to your specs.

0726231058c.jpg
Very nice! I have gone through many set-ups so far. Probably my favourite was glass shelves that found under computer monitors. First I bought a desk/bureau and put a few shelves on it. The I bought a longer table to hold more shelves, but it was too long to reach everything.
I gave up and bought a stand alone audio rack, which I really like. Beside it is the desk/bureau and it holds my headphones and accessories.

20190503_154112~2.jpg
20200315_135315_HDR.jpg
20210720_153107.jpg
System.jpg
20221010_174510~2.jpg
20221010_174551.jpg

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 10
@Shane D these are very nice--I researched many similar solutions. The glass shelves were always too small to hold everything I had, or too large (meant to be floor standing). Same thing with the tiered rack, also meant to be floor standing. But my computer sits atop my desk and I didn't want to get into concealing cables run along the floor.

I also wanted the convenience of having everything within reach... plus there's just something about wood.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 10
@Shane D these are very nice--I researched many similar solutions. The glass shelves were always too small to hold everything I had, or too large (meant to be floor standing). Same thing with the tiered rack, also meant to be floor standing. But my computer sits atop my desk and I didn't want to get into concealing cables run along the floor.

I also wanted the convenience of having everything within reach... plus there's just something about wood.
I agree on all counts! I love the wood and the width seems like a good fit.
My system had to hold at least four amps (including tubeamps) and a DAC. And since I changed to a BF2, I couldn't use my DAP as a jukebox anymore and had to repurpose a laptop. And all of this had to happen beside my lazy boy, and within reach.

I have a desktop system in the 2nd bedroom/home office with the computer. For my needs I finally have an ideal set-up. What you have looks awesome for your set-up.

I LOVE real wood! So much of what we have and see is just a thin layer of veneer.

20221126_001054~2.jpg

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree on all counts! I love the wood and the width seems like a good fit.
My system had to hold at least four amps (including tubeamps) and a DAC. And since I changed to a BF2, I couldn't use my DAP as a jukebox anymore and had to repurpose a laptop. And all of this had to happen beside my lazy boy, and within reach.

I have a desktop system in the 2nd bedroom/home office with the computer. For my needs I finally have an ideal set-up. What you have looks awesome for your set-up.

I LOVE real wood! So much of what we have and see is just a thin layer of veneer.

20221126_001054~2.jpg
Great... Now I want a La-Z-Boy.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Can you take a few more pictures a bit further back? Also what type of wood is that? Does it have a smell from the veneer or stain?

Hi all.
I made this stand.
Actually, it's not a veneer. This is a shield glued from maple lamellas (bars). (most furniture and kitchen countertops are made according to the same principle. according to the rules of carpentry - to minimize the effect of wood warping)
For gluing, ordinary PVA carpentry glue is used (sorry - I don’t know how it is called correctly in English). It has no smell.
The finish of this rack is regular oil-wax. Transparent. (only the legs are painted black at the request of the customer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back