Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #421 of 578
The P8 is $329 right now on HiFiGo already…

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #423 of 578
So a musical Ety with no uncomfortable super-deep insertion?
They graph like they would be closest to the 2XR though, which isn’t a BA, so the comparison is kind of irrelevant. More mid bass than the 2XR though, with some differences in the mids and highs.

They don’t measure at all like the ER4 series, and not even that close to the 2XR either really.
IMG_2055.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #424 of 578
Of that, I have little doubt. If it has a decent sale sometime next year, I'll probably grab that one too. 😁
Lovin' both sets, of all the AFUL global releases I passed on the P5 due to its timbre and the P8 overall addressed those and then some. Preferred the P8 implementation and technicalities as well. Can't wait with what they'll do with the Cantor.

1000033039.jpg

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #425 of 578
Lovin' both sets, of all the AFUL global releases I passed on the P5 due to its timbre and the P8 overall addressed those and then some. Preferred the P8 implementation and technicalities as well. Can't wait with what they'll do with the Cantor.

1000033039.jpg
The timbre is what I like about the P5. It's richer / fuller than any of my other IEMs, which isn't perfect for all of my musical tastes, but it provides an excellent alternative to the presentation of the music. I'm awaiting a good sale on the Kiwi Ears Quintet and Orchestra Lite, as I'm sure each of those will also provide a good alternative presentation as well.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #426 of 578
The timbre is what I like about the P5. It's richer / fuller than any of my other IEMs, which isn't perfect for all of my musical tastes, but it provides an excellent alternative to the presentation of the music. I'm awaiting a good sale on the Kiwi Ears Quintet and Orchestra Lite, as I'm sure each of those will also provide a good alternative presentation as well.
Yeah, I guess that's what makes it different from our preferences. I also know some who prefer the P5 bass though that somewhat metallic and oftentimes unnatural timbre of the P5 is what the dealbreaker for me. Then the smooth mids glide implementation of the P8 combined with its airy sparkly but never harsh treble is what got it for me. I'm guessing the Cantor will cross onto next year it seems. Still going through some fine tunings and production.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #428 of 578
Are you still happy with the Performer 5? I’m looking for an upgrade over the Moondrop Aria.
Or should I go with Performer 8?
I haven't tried the 8 but I did have the 5. Didn't really impress me tbh so I didn't have it long. I hear the p8 is amazing though so if you could afford the leap it's probably worth the upgrade

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #429 of 578
Are you still happy with the Performer 5? I’m looking for an upgrade over the Moondrop Aria.
Or should I go with Performer 8?
I use them for all kinds of stuff, gaming, movies and music. For music I switch between them and the 7Hz Timeless AE from time to time.
I like the neutral balanced sound, you can use them for everything. I won't upgrade to the P8 myself, because why should I? The mid-bass and upper-mids are more recessed on the P8, that's what prevents me from buying them.

I have the Aria as the Snow version and the P5 is similar to them but better. I'm not sure about the regular Aria or the P8 though. Do you like balanced sound with decent bass, the P5 is great for that at that price point.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #430 of 578
I use them for all kinds of stuff, gaming, movies and music. For music I switch between them and the 7Hz Timeless AE from time to time.
I like the neutral balanced sound, you can use them for everything. I won't upgrade to the P8 myself, because why should I? The mid-bass and upper-mids are more recessed on the P8, that's what prevents me from buying them.

I have the Aria as the Snow version and the P5 is similar to them but better. I'm not sure about the regular Aria or the P8 though. Do you like balanced sound with decent bass, the P5 is great for that at that price point.
I prefer better vocals and instruments over bass so I will probably go with Performer 8. After watching a ton of comparisons.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #431 of 578
I prefer better vocals and instruments over bass so I will probably go with Performer 8. After watching a ton of comparisons.
The P8 is fantastic!

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #432 of 578
So, over the past few days I've spent many hours listening to the P5, and I do not regret my decision to purchase (especially on sale). The only thing I can put in the "con" column of a pros / cons list is it doesn't seem to scale very well. When I had it plugged into the single end output of my Zen CAN, there was some muddiness / distortion on the low end, even at moderate volume. I moved the connection to the Zen DAC v2 (much lower output), and it is clean and can be pushed to decent volumes without issue.

In any case, my ears are happy as I continue to put them through their paces. :notes::grin::notes:

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #433 of 578
So, over the past few days I've spent many hours listening to the P5, and I do not regret my decision to purchase (especially on sale). The only thing I can put in the "con" column of a pros / cons list is it doesn't seem to scale very well. When I had it plugged into the single end output of my Zen CAN, there was some muddiness / distortion on the low end, even at moderate volume. I moved the connection to the Zen DAC v2 (much lower output), and it is clean and can be pushed to decent volumes without issue.

In any case, my ears are happy as I continue to put them through their paces. :notes::grin::notes:
Am i crazy or are both devices not really anything high end to feel the limits of the P5?

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #434 of 578
Am i crazy or are both devices not really anything high end to feel the limits of the P5?
If by "high end" you mean power output, yes and no. The output of the Zen DAC v2 is not very high, which is why it's usually paired with the Zen CAN (amp). The Zen CAN has a fairly high output that will handle pretty much all but the most demanding headphones. Both are lower end on the price scale, but still provide decent detail and a slightly warm signature.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #435 of 578
I don't know about the P5, but the P8 is super duper easy to drive and only needs 6-12% of an Apple Type-C dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back