Aggressive DACs under $500?
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
I'm looking for a more aggressive DAC than the Chord Mojo, which I currently use with speakers.

I don't mean tonally aggressive or anything like that, but powerful dynamics, impact, physical energy, grip, incisive detail...know what I mean?

The closest I've gotten to that under $500 is the Schiit Modi Multibit. However, both units I owned made mysterious crackling/popping noises. The manufacturer could not replicate the issue, so something weird must have been going on in my system. The noise did not occur with any other DACs. I know it wasn't a ground loop because I've already addressed that. I only used its USB input. I use TOSLINK with the Mojo now. I wonder whether the MMB would stop acting screwy on my system with TOSLINK.

The Chord 2Qute also had a more aggressive, dynamic sound, along with better resolution, but it's rather expensive, which is the main reason I went back to more affordable DACs.

Other DACs under $500 that I have owned include the iFi micro iDSD, JDS Labs OL DAC, and Schiit Modi 2 & Fulla 2. So they're off my list, as they don't meet my requirements.

If you know of aggressive DACs under $500, please share your thoughts!

I would prefer for the sound quality to be comparable to the Mojo and Modi Multibit, as well as for the price to be on the lower end, but the aggressive aspects I listed hold priority.

If it has the ability to be used as a preamp without coloring the sound, that would be a nice bonus. (I use the Mojo as a digital preamp and used a passive preamp with the other DACs. The amps in some DAC/amps can alter the sound too much when you don't use them in DAC only mode.)

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 8
You go through equipment like no one else I've seen. The noise and crackling problem is probably in your setup and power source. With changing equipment at such a rapid pace what are you wanting to achieve? You probably won't be happy with anything anyone suggest to you anyway.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 8
You go through equipment like no one else I've seen.

ehehe :innocent:

The noise and crackling problem is probably in your setup and power source.

If it's the power source, then I wonder why it never occurred with other DACs.

With changing equipment at such a rapid pace what are you wanting to achieve? You probably won't be happy with anything anyone suggest to you anyway.

I don't understand why people assume that I'm not happy. Just because I don't buy just one thing and stick with it forever doesn't mean I don't enjoy the equipment I've used. I like to experiment with gear to explore the possibilities. Each setup has its strengths and weaknesses, and it's a matter of balancing that and finding what you prefer. The journey is a fun and positive thing for me!

So I suppose you don't have any DAC suggestions?

If I don't find a good alternative, I might just try the Modi Multibit again and hope it doesn't crackle.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry. I just don't get your quest. You say you want something to sound like what you had but it is too expensive? Sorry don't get that one if you had it why did you let it go if it was that good? You say your ditching headphones and going with speakers . Sorry if I'm a bit confused.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry. I just don't get your quest. You say you want something to sound like what you had but it is too expensive? Sorry don't get that one if you had it why did you let it go if it was that good? You say your ditching headphones and going with speakers . Sorry if I'm a bit confused.

What are you confused about?

I bought it, but had a change of heart because it cost more than I was comfortable with at this time in my life, so I went back to more affordable DACs. I already explained that.

It doesn't have to sound the same as the 2Qute, of course. I'm just looking for the best DACs under $500 that sound more aggressive than the Mojo.

I have already transitioned to speakers and haven't even touched a headphone in awhile.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Well no more than a month ago you had said you had headphones coming in and now you don't? Your signature changes by the minute it seems just saying. Just have to put out a Jefferson quote if not truncated "It neither picks my pocket not breaks my legs."

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Well no more than a month ago you had said you had headphones coming in and now you don't? Your signature changes by the minute it seems just saying. Just have to put out a Jefferson quote if not truncated "It neither picks my pocket not breaks my legs."

It was a little over a month ago that I got my fourth STAX system, and the third was shortly before then.

I sold both of those last month since I preferred my speakers. And I've had my active nearfield speakers for four months before upgrading to passive floorstanders.

I'd say months and minutes are pretty different. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not sure what your point is, anyway. This thread is about sub-$500 aggressive-sounding DACs, not how people feel about my buying decisions.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 8
The closest I've gotten to that under $500 is the Schiit Modi Multibit. However, both units I owned made mysterious crackling/popping noises. The manufacturer could not replicate the issue, so something weird must have been going on in my system. The noise did not occur with any other DACs. I know it wasn't a ground loop because I've already addressed that. I only used its USB input. I use TOSLINK with the Mojo now. I wonder whether the MMB would stop acting screwy on my system with TOSLINK.
That's exactly what you should try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back