AirPods Max
May 14, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #3,961 of 5,629
LDAC won't change the FR curve of the XM4 to any significant degree.
For what it's worth I found the APM's background noise the least annoying of all the ANC over-ears I've owned in the last few months (including XM4, Bose 700, etc.), for various reasons.

The FR curve between Sony's products differs too much for the brand to have any "house sound" (same applies to most HP brands).
not really IMO sony has a period of time they experiment O tunings, they sure changed a couple time, but you can just see their halo product to see the time period, ie R10, Qualia 010, now Z1R.
sony XBAs, MDR Z7s, Z1R, IER Z1R, etc they sure have an intentional tuning they have in mind, with varying degrees of success mind you but they have similarities.

May 14, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,962 of 5,629
not really IMO sony has a period of time they experiment O tunings, they sure changed a couple time, but you can just see their halo product to see the time period, ie R10, Qualia 010, now Z1R.
sony XBAs, MDR Z7s, Z1R, IER Z1R, etc they sure have an intentional tuning they have in mind, with varying degrees of success mind you but they have similarities.
I would add the Z7M2 to that, as I describe it as more boxy and relaxed in sound but also similar. Those little nuances make a big difference, including the 1AM2. I hope Apple offers more diversity for the Max in future updates

May 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #3,963 of 5,629
Why did Apple apply such a big boost in the upper treble on the AirPods Max? The cheaper AirPods Pro sounds more nautral with an audiophile tuning in the treble, which is crazy because the AirPods Max is MUCH more expensive. Sure, the AirPods Max sounds "clearer" but that comes with a cost. The sound has this metallic edge to it that you can't shake off. This is just bizarre. I wonder what the thought process was when tuning the Max and the Pro's. Maybe the Pro's were tuned for listening to podcasts and conference calls and the Max for music/movies?

May 14, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,964 of 5,629
Interesting thing happened with the battery…

So I left the AirPods Max at a relative’s house by accident, maybe 6 weeks ago.

I finally have them back and they are still charged! Not only that, but they have 84% still! These things really don’t lose charge when not in use. Maybe they used to, but not now for sure!

May 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #3,965 of 5,629

I finally have them back and they are still charged! Not only that, but they have 84% still! These things really don’t lose charge when not in use. Maybe they used to, but not now for sure!
They definitely pay attention to the news, and adjust accordingly.

AirPods Max don’t lose a lot of battery life in standby mode even if they only power off when placed in the case.

May 14, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,966 of 5,629

Is that in their bra or out of it?

May 14, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #3,968 of 5,629
It’s looking like this is false. A more reliable leaker just came out and put the brakes on this rumor

The AirPods 3 are still unknown but it’s looking like Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless is happening.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/14/22436575/apple-music-android-lossless-audio-airpods-3

6F54DD19-42ED-4BD6-9198-6133AE4AEABD.jpeg
7BCF73EA-A33F-4F22-853F-D20846D19A64.jpeg

May 15, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #3,969 of 5,629
The AirPods 3 are still unknown but it’s looking like Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless is happening.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/14/22436575/apple-music-android-lossless-audio-airpods-3

I’m going to be very curious to find out the technical side. This will likely be the best wireless implementation to date. LDAC and aptX HD are fine, but don’t fully preserve the original source.

Also a major kudos to Apple for reports that claim that they’ll be keeping Apple HiFi at $9.99/month, or the same price as a standard Apple Music subscription. Hopefully this isn’t just an introductory rate since I quite like the idea of not having to pay more for lossless quality even as a new musician that could benefit from additional streaming revenue.

May 15, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #3,970 of 5,629
I’m going to be very curious to find out the technical side. This will likely be the best wireless implementation to date. LDAC and aptX HD are fine, but don’t fully preserve the original source.

There is no evidence so far that we're taking about a better audio over bluetooth implementation. The rumours are about adding a lossless tier for streaming content.

May 15, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,971 of 5,629
There is no evidence so far that we're taking about a better audio over bluetooth implementation. The rumours are about adding a lossless tier for streaming content.
Rumors additionally point to wireless support on AirPods Pro/Max/generation three.

May 15, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #3,972 of 5,629
Rumors additionally point to wireless support on AirPods Pro/Max/generation three.

I have seen no specifics others than "if they bring lossless / high res to Apple Music, then they may bring it to wireless audio". We already know that neither fully lossless nor 24/196 won't be happening anyway with audio over bluetooth (too much bandwidth required, heck even for audio over Wifi / ultrawideband 24/196 is likely to be a stretch).
I'd certainly welcome an improved AAC bitrate, AAC already has extensions available to that effect. But it's a bit of a moot point if I can't PEQ my headphones anyway as far as I'm concerned.

May 15, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,973 of 5,629
All the rumours I’ve seen point to this too - possibly vis new bespoke codec support.
Apple is all in on wireless so it makes no sense to offer hires if their own premium audio lineup can’t support it.
The H1 chip in the Max probably has plenty of processing headroom too.

May 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3,974 of 5,629
All the rumours I’ve seen point to this too - possibly vis new bespoke codec support.
Apple is all in on wireless so it makes no sense to offer hires if their own premium audio lineup can’t support it.
The H1 chip in the Max probably has plenty of processing headroom too.
Exactly, it would make zero sense to offer lossless at this point in the game unless it was launched alongside a new wireless codec or solution. Apple isn’t pushing wired hi-fi headphones.

What I’ve read makes it sound like Apple may be passing through the file over WiFi (?) similar to how AirPlay works.

May 15, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,975 of 5,629
Exactly, it would make zero sense to offer lossless at this point in the game unless it was launched alongside a new wireless codec or solution. Apple isn’t pushing wired hi-fi headphones.

What I’ve read makes it sound like Apple may be passing through the file over WiFi (?) similar to how AirPlay works.

The Wifi protocol consumes too much power by design for wearables and none of the existing AirPods support it anyway.
What Apple could possibly do is introduce ultrawideband (U1) to their AirPods. Ultra Wideband has the potential to combine the data rate of Wifi with the power consumption of bluetooth, but IDK if it can be used for wireless audio or not.
More realistically, something of this kind : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_SLS (ie a sort of "HD AAC").

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back