AKG 361 vs AKG mk553?
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kingluke2222

New Head-Fier
I've been using the SHP9500 for a few years now and am looking for a closed-back headphone. I want a neutral/bright headphone and I'm wondering how these two compare. The 553 is much older but I read it has a lot better soundstage than the 361 which I like. I guess I'm asking if it's worth the price bump over the 361? I'm open to other headphones as well if you guys have any ideas.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 14
I'd get the 553 based on build quality alone. The thing's a tank, whereas I've heard a not insignificant amount of complaints about the 361's quality of materials. Also, the 361's removable cable uses a proprietary connector whereas the 553 (Mk2) uses an ordinary mini-XLR connector.

I haven't heard the 361, but I own a 553 Mk2 and do really enjoy it. It's a clean, neutral sound with just the slightest hint of added warmth. Highs are smooth and detailed. Overall an extremely pleasant, musical headphone to listen to. Again, I haven't heard the 361, but I really can't imagine the 553 disappointing you.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 14
AFAIK, the successor to the K553 is the K371. They fixed the mids and the bass, but brought the air frequencies down a bit. It's a different enclosure and padding, which probably also contribute to the soundstage perception, but otherwise it's a very similar, more tonally refined headphone.

Another option for you if you're chasing soundstage in a closed back is the Silver 1More H1707 Triple-driver over-ear. Both are great, and along with the upcoming ThinkSound On21, are the only closed backs I'm genuinely interested in. Maybe a slight nod to Audeze's work, and the Creative Aurvana SE (latest CAL! iteration).

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 14
There are not a whole lot of neutral bright headphones around in a closedback design. The only real contenders that I can think of are the Shure SRH940 and the Beyerdynamic DT-100. The latter comes with quite the large presentation and a kitschy look to boot. Hah the Shure looks just as mad in it’s golden glory!
Best of luck.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 14
There are not a whole lot of neutral bright headphones around in a closedback design. The only real contenders that I can think of are the Shure SRH940 and the Beyerdynamic DT-100. The latter comes with quite the large presentation and a kitschy look to boot. Hah the Shure looks just as mad in it’s golden glory!
Best of luck.
I just assumed they wanted neutral through to bright, but in the price range the Takstar Pro 82 v2 would qualify.

Oct 21, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 14
Neutral or slightly bright headphone is what I meant. The SHP9500 are all I’ve really listened to so I’m not totally sure what I’ll like beyond that. Still not sure about the 553 vs 361/371, I am leaning towards the 553 a little but I would be probably be happy with both. The takstars look interesting as well.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 14
Neutral or slightly bright headphone is what I meant. The SHP9500 are all I’ve really listened to so I’m not totally sure what I’ll like beyond that. Still not sure about the 553 vs 361/371, I am leaning towards the 553 a little but I would be probably be happy with both. The takstars look interesting as well.
K371 is the recommendation then, because what little it costs you in imaging, width, and air, you get a lot in return.

I believe it's more isolating too, so a great staple closed back to have.

Crinacle has a great gaming guide for headphones if you're also looking for an open back upgrade with a focus towards soundstage and imaging.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 14
I don't really understand the K371 recommendation for someone wanting bright-neutral, because the K371 is basically a bass-boosted K361.

I don't recommend the Takstar for bright-neutral, either, it's a bassy V-shaped thing, not neutral. Plus the highs are pretty harsh.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 14
I don't really understand the K371 recommendation for someone wanting bright-neutral, because the K371 is basically a bass-boosted K361.

I don't recommend the Takstar for bright-neutral, either, it's a bassy V-shaped thing, not neutral. Plus the highs are pretty harsh.
I'm referring to the Pro 82 v2, not the Pro 80: https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones?ids=284

With respect to the K371, I interpreted the request differently, which the OP clarified as being they were looking for neutral to neutral-bright, and the K371 falls squarely on Harman neutral.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Harman neutral is bass-boosted. That's why it's called Harman neutral and not just neutral.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah this seems to be a recurring thing; people confusing the Harman target with IEF neutral…which of course is incorrect.
The Harman response is the result of tastebuds, simple as. This is the tuning that Harman found to be the most pleasing amongst the many ears that participated. The fact that people have been trying to metamorphose this into something that it never was..well is just testimony to the lunacy of this hobby.
Judging music by the same token, we find out that the very best music made today is by Drake and BTS.
What’s that momma said about others jumping off bridges?

One brilliant thing about the Harman response though is that it is neutral from the mids and up. My favourite current closedback is tuned after the Harman target, the K371. I have been searching high and low for something that would dethrone it, but haven’t found it yet. The K371 just gets the mids right which is rare imho.
I would love a more neutral closedback with a more linear bass response a la planar magnetics, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I need to go old school in order to find something closed that isn’t bass boosted in some way.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 14
My stepson has the SHP9500 that he uses for gaming. I have a K553 mk3. If you are looking for a similar sound signature, I find the K553 way brighter than the 9500s. I have a hard time listening to them without eq. They do sound good after eq is applied and they have really good build quality however. In stock form I find the 9500 a lot easier to listen to though their treble can be a little metallic sounding at times. They are hard to beat for the price though as you well know. Haven't heard the K361 or K371 but from everything I hear about them, I would probably prefer either of those over the K553. It's hard to say without trying first however. YMMV of course.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 14
Yeah this seems to be a recurring thing; people confusing the Harman target with IEF neutral…which of course is incorrect.
The Harman response is the result of tastebuds, simple as. This is the tuning that Harman found to be the most pleasing amongst the many ears that participated. The fact that people have been trying to metamorphose this into something that it never was..well is just testimony to the lunacy of this hobby.
Judging music by the same token, we find out that the very best music made today is by Drake and BTS.
What’s that momma said about others jumping off bridges?

One brilliant thing about the Harman response though is that it is neutral from the mids and up. My favourite current closedback is tuned after the Harman target, the K371. I have been searching high and low for something that would dethrone it, but haven’t found it yet. The K371 just gets the mids right which is rare imho.
I would love a more neutral closedback with a more linear bass response a la planar magnetics, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I need to go old school in order to find something closed that isn’t bass boosted in some way.
You might want to try the Monolith M565c. They have a sound signature that's pretty much in line with what you are looking for and are planars to boot. They can be easily and cheaply modified to sound even better also. They are not too expensive either (relatively speaking). Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back