AKG K-240 vs GradoSR series? Newbie girl'd appreciate pros weighing in
May 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jennylynnflack

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

After conducting many hours of research on my own, I've come to the point where I realize I need professional opinions.

Specifically, I'm looking to spend up to $150ish on a pair of amazing-sounding, over-the-ear or comfy on-ear headphones that I'll primarily use to listen to music on my Sony Walkman NWZ-E350 mp3 player, or to watch movies with on my laptop. I actually WANT the headphones to look big/chunky/retro, and to have a solid feel-- none of that sleek-looking, plastic-y Bose or Sennheiser stuff.

I've eliminated Koss, Shure, Audiovox, WESC, Nixon, Denon, Etymotic, Sony, and Marshall, but AKG and Grado look promising, especially the K-240s and the SR series. I'd love to have the Grado RS... that wood! But alas, it's a bit out of my price range, unless the extra $$$ is justified in sound quality.

I have eclectic tastes in music; an average day finds me listening to ambient trance, acoustic guitar, shoegaze, j-pop, house, jazz, alternative rock, piano, and yes, the Titanic movie soundtrack lately. I like my bass to sound bassy, but not at the expense of other sounds.

I take care of my things, but these headphones would need to withstand the occasional stuffing into a bag or train/plane back seat.  As for comfort, the wayyyy old Sennheiser HD 457s I own have NEVER felt comfortable on my head or ears. Even after 9+ (!) years of use, the on-pads hurt after an hour or so. I tend to blame the plastic headband; I imagine a metal one could be bent to have more give. I don't have a particularly head. In fact, it's smallish, and I have small ears.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any help you can give to this dilettante :)

Jenny

May 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Heya,

Look for:

Hifiman HE-300 (revision 2, used)
Beyer DT770 32ohm (used)
Denon D2000 (used, stretch budget a tad, but really worth it)
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA-003)
AudioTechnica A900 or AD900 (used, stretch budget a touch maybe)

Very best,

May 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 15
For a plane or train ride, neither the Grados or the AKG's are that suitable as both of them are open. Sound wise both are great, but for variety of music and bass response, the K240's would be my pick.

May 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Sticking within your stated budget and responding to the headphones you've actually listed, I'd advise going with the AKG K240, if only for comfort.  Its hard to predict how people will react to Grado's comfort levels.  Those are headphones you really need to test drive before buying.

If you plan on using them as portables, even occasionally, I'd avoid the Grado SR sets.  They will leak sound and annoy anyone and everyone around you.  And they won't block any ambient noise.  The AKG is semi-open but leaks very little sound out.

The Grado sets will play very well without amplification.  The K240 will work ok from your sources, but would benefit a bit from an amp.

May 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 15
Of the two, the K240 gets my vote. The Grados are totally open and the K240 are semi-open, so they both leak noise in and out. The K240 is very comfortable. Some people have a problem with the comfort of Grados. The tone an timbre of the K240 is more natural that the lower-end Grados, so it will be better for you acoustic/piano/jazz. Both are mostly plastic, but rugged. Neither fold, and the K240 will take up a big part you your bag.

Audio-Technica's closed headphones like the A900 may be worth consideration.

May 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd advise going with the AKG K240, if only for comfort.  Its hard to predict how people will react to Grado's comfort levels.  Those are headphones you really need to test drive before buying.

Good advice since I'll be buying these off the 'Net and will have little chance to try them on, return them, try on another pair, etc. Thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Either closed or open is fine; I don't think I blast my music loud enough to be a nuisance.

Even if you don't blast music, the grados leak A LOT so someone sitting close to you will almost be guaranteed to hear it. Second, you'll usually find yourself raising the volume to drown out ambient noises. Lastly, your listening experience will probably degrade a lot in a high noise area (such as a metro or plane) especially with open back headphones.

May 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 15
Looks like the AKG K240s are winning. Would I need an amplifier with these? Here are the specs for my mp3 player: http://esupport.sony.com/docs/portable/NWZE353_E354_E355_guide/eng/contents/11/01/01/01.html

If I had more time right now, I'd educate myself on what impedance and ohms are, but I've got to educate some freshman in their English comp.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

May 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 15
If you're looking at the K240, then strongly consider the K271/272 which maintains the aesthetic but is closed and provides excellent isolation (better than most in the category), so you'll actually be able to hear your music because it probably won't get very loud from your source. For slightly more portable use, the K172 is also good and easier to drive.

May 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 15
I just tried the K240 with my iPhone. In a relatively quiet office environment, I needed to set the volume to 80-90% to achieve a normal listening level. I could see you wanting more amplification in a noisier environment or for really rocking out.

You can always pick up one of Fiio's cheap portable amps if you find that you can't get enough volume. The K240 is $89 on Amazon at the moment, and the Fiio E11 is $65. So, that's right around your budget. Try them directly from your MP3 player first; add an amp later.

BTW--the K240 (studio), K240MKII, and K242 HD should all sound the same. Only the accessories differ, so get whichever is cheapest (probably this one).

May 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
I just tried the K240 with my iPhone. In a relatively quiet office environment, I needed to set the volume to 80-90% to achieve a normal listening level. I could see you wanting more amplification in a noisier environment or for really rocking out.
You can always pick up one of Fiio's cheap portable amps if you find that you can't get enough volume. The K240 is $89 on Amazon at the moment, and the Fiio E11 is $65. So, that's right around your budget. Try them directly from your MP3 player first; add an amp later.
BTW--the K240 (studio), K240MKII, and K242 HD should all sound the same. Only the accessories differ, so get whichever is cheapest (probably this one).

Thanks for the advice; I will do. I think I'll go with the AKGs, then. Take care, all!

May 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, another vote for K240. I preferred them ten times over to my Grados. And they were much more comfortable, but that isn't something I generally seem to care about with headphones.

May 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back