AKG k167 vs Shure SRH840 vs ATH M50
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for the advice guys, In the end I settled for the K167s because amazon has them for a very reasonable 144$ with free 2 day shipping while the Shures are 179$. Oh well, I really wanted to get the shures but I guess this'll have to do. Hopefully it's not too bad :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
Should of looked into the Shure SRH440 they sound better then both the m50 and the akg in all areas apart from bass. 

To me, personally, I find all of those are off different animals. Not a fair competitors. SRH-440 sound rather veiled, neutral and lacks bass slam. The ATH-M50 have a V-Shape sound(recessed point: around 1KHz?) and lacks soundstage. AKG on the other hand sound more forward and the bass are stronger but less bloated then ATH-M50. 

Just a quick sharing :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 28
Agree on the durability of the M50s.  Have stuffed them in my backpack and carried back and forth to work, on trips, etc. and have really held up.  Good construction and really feels like PRO quality in this regard.

Harder to say if they have the sound you want.  I really like their versatility across musical styles.  I auditioned them at a local guitar center store and selected them because I liked how they did the sound of guitars on rock music.  Not a headphone that I'll ever let go, but definitely not for everyone. Nothing to speak of in terms of soundstage, for example.

Also the cord is long -- which is maybe great for a studio environment but always a hassle when you're walking around.  

Will you mostly be using out of an iPod or similar player.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Agree on the durability of the M50s.  Have stuffed them in my backpack and carried back and forth to work, on trips, etc. and have really held up.  Good construction and really feels like PRO quality in this regard.

Harder to say if they have the sound you want.  I really like their versatility across musical styles.  I auditioned them at a local guitar center store and selected them because I liked how they did the sound of guitars on rock music.  Not a headphone that I'll ever let go, but definitely not for everyone. Nothing to speak of in terms of soundstage, for example.

Also the cord is long -- which is maybe great for a studio environment but always a hassle when you're walking around.  

Will you mostly be using out of an iPod or similar player.

It will be going through my iPod, Macbook Pro, My Zoom G7.1UT guitar pedal ( basically a pre-amp) and then hopefully through a proper pre-amp like a scarlet 212 when I have enough money.

I already went ahead and ordered the K167s though, lets see how I like them. Restocking fee is only 8% so i can easily send them back if I don't like them.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #20 of 28
Yeah, it's good to choose, and just move forward.  I've never had the chance to hear the K167s, hope they turn out to be just right.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:
It will be going through my iPod, Macbook Pro, My Zoom G7.1UT guitar pedal ( basically a pre-amp) and then hopefully through a proper pre-amp like a scarlet 212 when I have enough money.

I already went ahead and ordered the K167s though, lets see how I like them. Restocking fee is only 8% so i can easily send them back if I don't like them.

I think you made a good call-- but I think the iPod/MBP will drive them just fine.  I use mine with a Clip Zip and they sound fantastic-- really crisp and clear across all frequencies...usually play them at about max output, but it doesn't sound like they're being pushed too hard or driven inadequately.  I tried them with an e17 and don't remember noticing too much of a difference, if any. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 28
So I got the headphones today, and tbh I was not too impressed. I knew these were a bit lacking in bass, but I didn't expect them to be this bad. The lack of bass coupled with the impressive highs made it a bit too harsh on my ears unfortunately, so I think I'll be returning them :frowning2: I really, really, really wanted to like these headphones though.

The search continues. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 28
Have you burned them in yet?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
I haven't yet, but I hear that it takes AKGs about 300 hours to properly burn in and I don't know if I can deal with this sound for that long.

Yeah that's a tough one.  I have the K-702s which have a long break-in... but I felt pretty sure
on day one that it would be worth the wait.  FWIW.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
It will never take 300 hrs to burn in any headphones that's crazy, the most difference I have heard have been within hours. The sound they produce after about an hour of constant use is the sound they will have forever.

I'll listen through it for a few more hours and see if anything improves. Thanks.

Quote:
Yeah that's a tough one.  I have the K-702s which have a long break-in... but I felt pretty sure
on day one that it would be worth the wait.  FWIW.

See that's the thing, I don't feel it. The headphones feel solid, look amazing and are quite clear but at times hi hats sound really shrill and piercing.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 28
After about an hour of listening, I've messed around with the EQ and the sounds gotten a bit better, but it lacks a lot of punch compared to my old, cheap panasonic DJ600s. Is it because I've used this pair for so long now? 

I definitely feel like the k167s have weak low mids. The bass isn't a problem but the lack of low mids is. 

I also feel like it'd be a great pair for monitoring. I'm torn guys, should I send it back or keep it?? If I send it back what other headphone would suit me?

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
After about an hour of listening, I've messed around with the EQ and the sounds gotten a bit better, but it lacks a lot of punch compared to my old, cheap panasonic DJ600s. Is it because I've used this pair for so long now? 

I definitely feel like the k167s have weak low mids. The bass isn't a problem but the lack of low mids is. 

I also feel like it'd be a great pair for monitoring. I'm torn guys, should I send it back or keep it?? If I send it back what other headphone would suit me?

Dunno, but doesn't seem like these have got what you want.  For myself, I put considerable emphasis on first impression... especially as EQ is not doing the trick for you out of the gate.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back