AKG K240 MKII vs AKG K612 vs Sennheiser HD558
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Musok

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Just sold my Sony V700 because they lack comfort and I'm now looking for some new headphones that are comfortable, with a good sound and extra-light.

From my search, I loved the full-size and open concept. Tried some Sennheiser HD555 and loved the way this kind of phone sounds and the comfort.

The idea is to use them for practicing my bass and guitar at home without all my neighbours listen to me, listen to some rock and maybe for production.

Between AKG K240 MKII, AKG K612 and Sennheiser HD558, which would you choose?

By the way, I have no amp. I have a Firewire 410 audio interface though.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 29
Hi Musok,

I am in a similar position, though also threw the K171 MKII into my decision making, as it is a closed can option alternative to the K550s which I feel will be too large, not fit right. 

One of my concerns on the K612 is much like many of the 6/7 series from AKG, they use that corded stretch band out of the cups, to give the head band tension. Where as the K240, are more durable with an old school wire framed adjuster.

HD558, is no slouch, but I read it's not in the same league according to some.

Also, what kind of prices are you up against? 
The cost difference between a K240 and a K612 should be a fair chunk that could go towards a little amp, which I personally think would be money better spent.

Hopefully someone can correct me though
K240 + amp is a win over
K612 without amp

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 29
  Hey guys,

Just sold my Sony V700 because they lack comfort and I'm now looking for some new headphones that are comfortable, with a good sound and extra-light.

From my search, I loved the full-size and open concept. Tried some Sennheiser HD555 and loved the way this kind of phone sounds and the comfort.

The idea is to use them for practicing my bass and guitar at home without all my neighbours listen to me, listen to some rock and maybe for production.

Between AKG K240 MKII, AKG K612 and Sennheiser HD558, which would you choose?

By the way, I have no amp. I have a Firewire 410 audio interface though.

Well if you are going with no amp, the HD 558 would be the best choice. The K240 will be harder to amp than the HD 558 and has a strong treble spike which is a big negative as the headphone has an addicting and very musical sound. The K612 is without a doubt the best sounding of the three, but it's also the hardest to amp and doesn't really sound that great underamped or with bad synergy; weak, thin, and hollow come to mind.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 29
Eventually for better listening I could go through an amp (in the future) on my "production table" but the idea is to work out of my mac output also so I can quickly connect my bass or guitar and listen or even for mastering everywhere.
I am kind of tending to the AKG models and in the AKG models to K612 since it's a little bit more high-end (from what I hear) and it's completely open (which I think is more comfortable and natural).

The difference of prices between K240 MKII and K612 is 20e so... What would you do?

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 29
My understanding is the 612 is the new 601 and according to some posts around here, it's 99% identical. AKG mentioned something about different capsules? That's as far as I got.

If the 612 isn't much more, than the only reasons I can think of to go for the 240s is 

A) Detachable cable
B) Slightly different construction (don't think they have the little stretch band cords, so the headset may last longer)

If you've decided you're definitely getting open back, then I along with you will probably get the K612.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 29
Hi ballard,

For my sanity and for that of Musok as well, are you uncomfortable in recommending the K601/K612 for non amp scenarios?

The difference between my setup and Musok's is my cans will be into a soundcard, and his I believe will be onboard sound via his Mac.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 29
  Yep onboard macbook pro. Besides that I'll use them with my firewire 410. So you don't recommend K612 without an amp?

Besides this question... http://www.head-fi.org/t/564340/hairline-cracks-in-akg-k240-mkii what about this? It doesn't seem very cool! 

Something that it would be cool: MKII with parts from the original studio. Like the golds and blacks and even head band.

Also... found these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_240_studio_kopfhoerer.htm they say they're 55ohm so... aren't these the same that MKII?

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 29
  Yep onboard macbook pro. Besides that I'll use them with my firewire 410. So you don't recommend K612 without an amp?

Besides this question... http://www.head-fi.org/t/564340/hairline-cracks-in-akg-k240-mkii what about this? It doesn't seem very cool! 

Also found some 240 studio with 55ohm pretty cheap.
List of prices (new in the same place):
- k240 55ohm -> 85
- k240 MKII -> 119
- k612 pro -> 138

Maybe those k240 55ohm are enough for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back