AKG k371 good for first set of headphones?
May 21, 2020 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TSasquatch

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I’m looking at getting my first set of quality headphones. I’m after something that will suit a fairly eclectic taste in music, but a lot of rock, jazz and blues.

budget is around $500AUD ($350USD/300EUR) but happy to go over if it’s really worth it.
I’d like them to last quite some time.
My main focus is sound quality, and I think closed-back is necessary for my situation.
Would the AKG K371 suit this? Any other recommendations?

I should mention m not interested in purchasing an amplifier at this stage, and I would mainly be running them from a smartphone.

Thank you
TSasquatch

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi TSasquatch!

If you aren't willing to purchase an amplifier and want to run off of your smartphone then the K371s isn't a bad place to begin your audiophile journey. They were actually my first; though, I did end up returning them. For the price point, they have really good detail with a little warmth and musicality. Personally, I thought they out-performed the Beyerdynamics and Audio-Technica with similar price points, but I'm also just not a fan of those brands' V-shaped signatures. Plus, they're reasonably comfortable, portable, and (while largely plastic) still have a fairly premium feel to them.

All of that to say, I did end up returning them. I did not find them aggressive in their presentation to music, but they also have a reasonably small sound stage with a fair amount of detail packed into that. So, as the music I listened to go more complex, the more rapidly ear fatigue set in. Listening to small band, acoustic-based stuff or jazz was great, and I could listen for a long time. Yet, listening to albums, genres, etc. where there is just a lot going on (e.g. symphonies, scores, some rock, etc.), I'd tap out from the headphones after like 30 minutes. Now, keep in mind two things - I have fairly sensitive ears and what I've just described goes over a lot of people's heads. My good friend, who would not consider himself an audiophile, basically just goes "I have no idea what you're talking about, these just sound like great headphones to me".

If you watch Zeos' review of the K371s at ZReviews on Youtube, he describes well a similar experience to my own. He would actually recommend the K361s over the K371s, which I think is going a little far. Other reviews would tell you, however, that they honestly believe every "audiophile" should own a pair of K371s given their price to performance ratio.

I've also tried the K553s. Build quality is great and are very durable. Sound quality is good, but nothing to brag about. Comfort is okay; again, good enough but nothing to brag on. I found the K553s are sort of like an "ole faithful" type of headphone; well-rounded and dependable, but nobody is going to go "these are the best headphones ever" because they just don't have any super definable features to them. They do, however, out perform the K371s in their build quality (considerably more metal and sturdy construction) and have a more open sound than the K371s. Like you, I've got a fairly eclectic music taste and I found the K553s to be a better all-rounded than the K371s. I only really enjoyed listening to some jazz and acoustic-based indie/folk stuff on my K371s because of its sound signature. I thought the K553s we're better balanced and so could still play jazz and acoustic stuff well enough to enjoy it, but could also do genres like rock and classical far better.

My favorite closed-back to date are the Meze 99 Noirs, but they aren't for everybody. I like the build quality. Comfort is fantastic. They have a smooth, warm, laid-back sound signature - the perfect late-night, kick back and relax and listen to some smooth jazz type of headphone. But, they can be a little bass heavy. The bass is tight and doesn't bleed into the mids, but its definitely pronounced. I have found that if you use a 2.5mm balanced cable that it does tighten up even more, but that also requires you to purchase an amp. Those also retail for $200 (USD) on Drop.com.

Basically, the K371s are a good headphone, but I would also look into the K553s as a strong competitor and look into the 99 Noirs, if they sound like something you'd be interested in. I would note, however, that I have found it very difficult to find a closed-back that does eclectic music listening well. I had a similar budget to yours and I ended up going with the Meze 99 Noirs because their smooth, bassy warmth hit really well for my acoustic, jazz, and rap tastes which is about 75% of what I listen to. Then, I got a cheaper pair of IEMs (KZ ZS10 Pros or ZSX "Terminator" are good options) because they had a more lively presentation for when I wanted to listen to rock and stuff. Whatever you decide on, I also highly recommend looking into getting the BTR5. It's a bluetooth/USB DAC/amp combo that gives many DAPs a run for their money. None of the above mentioned headphones need it, but the BTR5 will produce better sound than what comes out of most smartphone headphone jacks.

May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 5
hi pjones5

Thanks so much for your well thought out reply! I spoke to a friend who’s a professional in the audio field and he was highly recommending the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro as an entry for me. I figured at half the price of my budget it wouldn’t hurt to give them a try so I’ve ordered a pair of those for the time being.

With that said though, I’m thoroughly interested in checking some of the options you’ve listed out! Next year I should be moving to somewhere that is closer to areas that actually hifi and audio stores!

One question regarding the BTR5, because I’m totally captivated by it now, is, does the fact that it is Bluetooth somehow diminish the quality of data being sent to the headphones? That has been my rather primitive understanding of bluetooth in relation to headphones. Otherwise I will be looking into getting that or something similar in the future.
Thanks so much again

May 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 5
hi pjones5

Thanks so much for your well thought out reply! I spoke to a friend who’s a professional in the audio field and he was highly recommending the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro as an entry for me. I figured at half the price of my budget it wouldn’t hurt to give them a try so I’ve ordered a pair of those for the time being.

With that said though, I’m thoroughly interested in checking some of the options you’ve listed out! Next year I should be moving to somewhere that is closer to areas that actually hifi and audio stores!

One question regarding the BTR5, because I’m totally captivated by it now, is, does the fact that it is Bluetooth somehow diminish the quality of data being sent to the headphones? That has been my rather primitive understanding of bluetooth in relation to headphones. Otherwise I will be looking into getting that or something similar in the future.
Thanks so much again

My hope is to visit a HiFi store, I don't have any near me and its said. Maybe I'll some day go to Can Jam!

What'r your tastes like? I've heard the the DT1770s can be very aggressive in their presentation of detail. The Drop version, DT177X, are a more laid back version that might be worth checking out. Plus, the DT177X are actually balanceable. Whereas, I'm pretty sure, the DT1770s are not.

With sound quality, you've got a path that goes from source to DAC (digital analog convertor) to amp to headphones (basically). High quality Spotify playback will give you (I think) 320 kbps playback. Something like Tidal HiFi, which uses FLAC, will yield 1400 kbps. So that's your source. Then it runs to a DAC because that digital 1s and 0s needs to be converted into an analog electrical signal which then gets amplified by the amp. The DAC is important because a crappy DAC will cause loss to occur, OR it'll add/change the sound - same thing can occur with amps.

The BTR5 has some versatility to it, which I really like. Anytime you transfer data via bluetooth, there will be some compression/loss that occurs. There are several different Bluetooth codecs, however, which varies the level of compression. LDAC, which is the best, is about 990 kbps and many Android phones are LDAC compatible. If you have an iPhone (like me) then you're limited to either AAC (250 kbps) or SBC (320 kbps). Using the BTR5 with an iPhone, then, leads to a fair amount of loss. Its less than ideal if you're looking for a lossless portable setup, but I still really like using because it does do a fine job. The BTR5 can also function as a USB-DAC/amp so there's no compression there.

This is an article I've found helpful too: https://www.soundguys.com/understanding-bluetooth-codecs-15352/

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 5
hi pjones5

Thanks so much again

I looked at the DT1770 Pro again. You'll definitely want an amp for those, they need a lot of juice at 250 ohm! The BTR5 could do it, I've used it for my 300 ohm Sennheiser's.
I might recommend looking into the FiiO Q5s - the bluetooth sucks on my iPhone, but it is USB compatible with Apple products so I just plug it into my phone and I'm good to go. Problem is, its $300 (USD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back