AKG K518 DJ
Jul 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alex54

New Head-Fier
Hello
I've been looking at the AKG K518, because they look good, and also I've read that they are good "overall"
The only problem is that I am not a DJ and the wire is 2,5 meters long...

I know nothing about headphones, I've just been wanting headphone that sound great, look good, and that are isolated both in and out. 

My question is: is there anything that looks like the AKG K518 DJ, and that has great sound, look, isolation, etc... for under 100-150$

http://www.akg.com/personal/K_518_DJ,pcatid,4,pid,16,_psmand,1.html

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 4
A DJ headphone just means that you can listen with one ear. So you can rotate the cans.

If you think the cable is too long just get the K 518 LE. They're exactly the same just with a shorter cable and different colors.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Well uhh, what can we tell you? We can't call up AKG and tell them to shorten the cable for ya. 
wink_face.gif

The options are:

1. Live with longer cable. Wind the cable up
  2. Live with colorful options and be happy with the cable length
  3. Venture into headphone and cable modification
  4. Ask someone in the forums to venture into headphone and cable modification for you

The comfort, the bass, and the cable are deal killers IMO. But it's hard to find a headphone in this price range that is closed, isolates and doesn't suck. In that sense, the K81s absolutely deserve respect. But the cable, jeez what were they thinking?

I'd suggest the Audio Technica es-7, but that you'll gain better ergonomics, perhaps better sound (I own both, but I can't find the AKGs to confirm or deny this general gut feeling), but you'll lose the isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back