AKG K518LE vs Koss ProDJ100 vs ATH-M50
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xAznxStylezx

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if someone could help me decide between these three. They're going to be a gift for my friend and I can't really decide which ones to go with. 

I live in Canada, so I'm not able to quite get amazing prices like those who live in the US. At the moment, I can get the AKG K518LE for $64.99, the ProDJ100 for $61.99, and the ATH-M50 for $140.

I found some threads comparing both the ProDJ100 and ATH-M50 but I see mixed results.

Which of these three would be best? He will be using them for gaming (Dota 2 mostly, some TF2), but he also listens to Drum and Bass, and also Dubstep.

He also doesn't have a sound card, so I was wondering would be benefit more from either the K518/ProDJ100 + Xonar DG, or just the M50 alone?

I've considered the AD700's, but I keep hearing that they have terrible bass response, so I don't think that would work out.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 9
I haven't heard the 518LE, but personally I like the Koss better. Lifetime warranty, light-weight, good fit, nice warm mid-forward sound, decent isolation, etc. The M50 are boomy and sibilant by comparison, with no soundstaging, and they're heavy and hot to wear. Not a fun time imho.

Also I like that the Koss cost less than half as much, even in your scenario ($61 is a good price anywhere).

Regarding the whole soundcard thing, I'm guessing he has an internal card? If it isn't bleeding out noise or similar, it won't be a problem for the DJ100 or M50 (they're both super duper easy to drive), but if it is, yeah I'd replace it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm so tempted to spam budget threads with the new AKG K618, but I don't want to be that guy.
Anyways I picked up the K618 as a gift for my sis, but used them for two days before letting them go. I wouldn't want to give a bad gift, so I had to like them first. My sister loves them and so do I and I'm about to buy one for myself.
Anyway, the K618 is very effing good for $99 and free shippig on the AKG site. I didn't get to test isolation outside, but they do not leak sound at what I consider normal listening volume. There is a ton of bass, even more than the PRO700MK2, but it's slighlty boomy because of the amount of it.
The cord might be considered a foot or two short depending on where your computer is. Mine is on the desk, so it's fine. If the rig is on the ground, you might want an extension cord.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 9
@obobskivich I've read that the ProDj100's don't sound that great if they're not powered through an amp of some sort, how do you feel about that? My friend probably isn't going to buy any amp, just running it either through his computer or through his music player.

@PFULMTL Hah! I stumbled across the AKG K618's and I thought they were like the little brother to my K550's. I was going to ask about these, but I haven't found any comparison reviews on them. Do you prefer them over your PRO700MK2? What kind of music do you listen to? Also, are these on-ear or over-ear?

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 9
The music I listen to is in my sig haha.

There is a thread on the K618 where I did a comparison vs the PRO700Mk2. The thing is the MK2 has more detail but it's not that clear with vocals, while the K618 has awesome clear vocals. The K618 is on the ear, so they are a little more portable. The hinge may or may not bother you depending on your head size. My sis said they were comfortable but she has a smaller head I guess? I guess the usual stuffing the inside with a rope will fix the spacing of the hinge vs your head problem.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 9
I have the Tony Bennett edition of the DJ100 that comes with a case and has a removable cable.  I run mine through a O2 and it did improve when amping, not drastic but noticeably so.  Highs smoothed out some and mid bass caught up to the mids which the mids are the strength of these phones whether amp'd or not.  Without an amp they sound fine to me but just better with an amp IMO. 

You may still be able to get the Tony Bennett edition for $49.99 at Tuesday Morning.  Not sure if they ship to Canada, may want to check their website to see.    [I just checked their website and it's still listed there for $49.99]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back