AKG K702 Impressions.
Jul 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 636
Yeah they are a great sounding can. I personally am enjoying them more than my HD650's

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #33 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah they are a great sounding can. I personally am enjoying them more than my HD650's

+1. I'm grooving to Joe McQueen (an IsoMike recording) and it sounds absolutely magnificent!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #34 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1. I'm grooving to Joe McQueen (an IsoMike recording) and it sounds absolutely magnificent!
biggrin.gif

I am listening to Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden (SHM CD) It sounds absolutely amazing. The Eagles have a great recording in this cd. Very well done. I am actually enjoying this more than their Hell Freezes Over XRCD

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 636
Quote:

I am listening to Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden (SHM CD) It sounds absolutely amazing. The Eagles have a great recording in this cd. Very well done. I am actually enjoying this more than their Hell Freezes Over XRCD

Agreed, the Long Road Out of Eden CD is very well recorded album.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 636
Brand new (used) K701 owner today...bought them from a head-fier who purchased them about 8 weeks ago - and is now trying to support his new HD800 purchase so parted with them (luckily for me). I've been real anxious to try them as a compliment to my Grado 325is' They only have about 10-15 hrs so I am listening and burning in as we speak. I absolutely love my Grados and initial impressions are I made a really good choice. I can see how these will do real well with certain genres while I'd prefer the Grados for others - and they sound sweet out of my MKIII. Very pleased and expect great things from these cans! Listening to Pete Yorn's new album (Back and Fourth) right now...Wilco's new disc up next!

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brand new (used) K701 owner today...bought them from a head-fier who purchased them about 8 weeks ago - and is now trying to support his new HD800 purchase so parted with them (luckily for me). I've been real anxious to try them as a compliment to my Grado 325is' They only have about 10-15 hrs so I am listening and burning in as we speak. I absolutely love my Grados and initial impressions are I made a really good choice. I can see how these will do real well with certain genres while I'd prefer the Grados for others - and they sound sweet out of my MKIII. Very pleased and expect great things from these cans! Listening to Pete Yorn's new album (Back and Fourth) right now...Wilco's new disc up next!

Let them burn in. I really started to notice them opening up and starting to shine at about the 150 hour mark. Now I am at the 300 hour mark and they are really starting to shine. They aren't as bright as they were when I first got them, bass has gotten better it still doesn't have a ton of impact, but overall a much more balanced sound then when I first got them.

Good Luck and enjoy the new cans.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #38 of 636
Quote:

Also another note, I just hooked my Duet up to the Marantz 2275 we had laying around and plugged the K702's into that and the soundstage opened up quite a bit so i think i need to invest in a better headphone amp. Any suggestions for an amp that will sound as good if not better than what i am getting out of the 2275 for around the $300 mark i don't mind buying used either.

A lot of people really like the Little Dot III/701 combo. most everyone I have spoken to about it thinks its the budget way to go. I've heard the 701s a few times, and I definitely prefer them from a tube amp.

by the way, if you ever get sick of that 2275, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 636
Quote:

Let them burn in. I really started to notice them opening up and starting to shine at about the 150 hour mark. Now I am at the 300 hour mark and they are really starting to shine. They aren't as bright as they were when I first got them, bass has gotten better it still doesn't have a ton of impact, but overall a much more balanced sound then when I first got them.

Good Luck and enjoy the new cans.

Thanks - I have been running pink noise through them since yesterday so I can't wait until I get them at 150+. I am quite pleased with the bass that the k701s deal out which tends to be one of its biggest criticisms from many - I know it should just get better with time.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 636
Quote:

Also another note, I just hooked my Duet up to the Marantz 2275 we had laying around and plugged the K702's into that and the soundstage opened up quite a bit so i think i need to invest in a better headphone amp. Any suggestions for an amp that will sound as good if not better than what i am getting out of the 2275 for around the $300 mark i don't mind buying used either.

Heed Canamp, its fantastic with the K702's.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #42 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - I have been running pink noise through them since yesterday so I can't wait until I get them at 150+. I am quite pleased with the bass that the k701s deal out which tends to be one of its biggest criticisms from many - I know it should just get better with time.

Glad to hear you are pleased with your K701's. They do get better with time. I am also quite pleased by the bass on the K702's and I came from the HD650's.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #43 of 636
I am delighted with mine, particularly having risked buying without auditioning as there is no dealer anywhere near me who sells AKG. I noticed that a lot of Musical Fidelity kit owners use AKG and Antony Michaelson recommended them and the hoped for synergy is there. Not sure about running in times though. I have about 200 hours on them and have not noticed a huge difference, but both amp and cans are running in at the same time.

I find them very comfortable to wear and like the single cable. But it suits me to have it on the left side.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #44 of 636
Well I have reached the 375 hour mark. I think I am to the point where I will stop letting them play 24/7 now. They have smoothed out quite a bit, the soundstage has opened up, bass is very tight and detailed and has more impact then when I first got them.

They are a very nice set of headphones and I am looking forward to stepping up to a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back