AKG K702 Vs. Sennheiser HD 598
May 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

dips

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a good audiophile headphones and have finalized to AKG K702 and Senn HD 598, both being in same price range. I have heard great reviews about both both have great sound quality overall, accuracy, soundstage and are super comfy. The difference I have heard and could see in frequency responses is that AKG are brighter, crisp and thus too analytical, less intimate etc whereas HD 598 are more intimate, warm. If somebody has experienced and analyzed both, I would be really grateful to listen to your opinion.

I am not too demanding on bass. love listening to classical stuff but do throw all other types at times.

May 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 31
From what I've read you'd need an amp for the k702's.  Do you have one?  The Senns should be easier to drive, but, in a high-quality setup, the AKG's would probably surpass them as people used to consider them competitors to the Sennheiser HD6x0 line.

May 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 31
Hmm, that could be a tough one.

First off, do you mean the Q701? If those are available as well and for the same price, I'd suggest picking those up over the K series.

Both are quite spectacular in their own ways. The K702 needs an amp to sound best (it really does, despite everyone saying that for nearly EVERY headphone recommendation). The HD598 on the other hand, doesn't benefit all that much from amplification, and does perfectly well straight from your source. Comfort wise, the HD598 is untouchable between the two. The headband on the AKG is pretty painful for a lot of people, and distracts from the music too much. Regarding sound, the HD598 does more genres better than the K702. While the K702 can sound spectacular with certain genres that utilize it's soundstage and detail well, but the HD598 does everything well across the board, just nothing spectacularly well.

I really, really liked my Q701 back when I had it. But I hated the headband, and craved a thicker and weightier presentation. HD598 is one of many that would fit the bill.

May 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 31
Thanks for the response. I do plan to buy an amp (which budget amp-dac do you suggest btw that I could also use with my laptop and iphone?)

In my research about these, I have found following information which I am not sure how much to weigh but nonetheless. Both rank really high on cnet and headphones editor's reviews, may be K702 a whiff higher. HD 598 used to be cheaper for like $180 but right now its available on amazon at $250, whereas K702 started off pretty high in about $400-500 and is now available for $275.

but again in customer's reviews, the most common comment is HD598 is more engaging while K702 is may be cold though precise.

May 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I do plan to buy an amp (which budget amp-dac do you suggest btw that I could also use with my laptop and iphone?)
In my research about these, I have found following information which I am not sure how much to weigh but nonetheless. Both rank really high on cnet and headphones editor's reviews, may be K702 a whiff higher. HD 598 used to be cheaper for like $180 but right now its available on amazon at $250, whereas K702 started off pretty high in about $400-500 and is now available for $275.
but again in customer's reviews, the most common comment is HD598 is more engaging while K702 is may be cold though precise.

I've heard the Q701 sound a little better and are a little easier to drive then the K702s, unless I've heard wrong?
And the Q701s are a little cheaper then the K702s.

The Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier is good for use the computers, laptops and portable devices (iPhone).
The Fiio L cable is good for use with apple products (iPhone) that come with an LOD port.
A DAC Destroyer, USB DAC would be a good combo for use with the E11 and your laptop.

May 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 31
Hello! I have owned both the K702's as well as the HD 598's. I also own the HD 518's and the K240's. Both the Senny's and the AKG's require an amp to work well. I do a lot of music composition as well as being an audiophile, and must say the Fiio e10 does an exeptional job, but they still sound better with my mixer. I cannot say I like one headphone over the other becouse they have a different sound signature. The 702's are very detailed and precise, but after a while, you notice that you loose the fun in the music becouse the soundstage is almost too wide. the Senny's have a wonderful 3-d soundstage that the AKG's don't have, and are much more fun and for long listening sessions. I would recomend the 702's for sound engineering, and the Senny's for audiophile listening. 

May 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a good audiophile headphones and have finalized to AKG K702 and Senn HD 598, both being in same price range. I have heard great reviews about both both have great sound quality overall, accuracy, soundstage and are super comfy. The difference I have heard and could see in frequency responses is that AKG are brighter, crisp and thus too analytical, less intimate etc whereas HD 598 are more intimate, warm. If somebody has experienced and analyzed both, I would be really grateful to listen to your opinion.

I am not too demanding on bass. love listening to classical stuff but do throw all other types at times.

Heya,

AKG Q701. A touch warmer than the K702, less analytical, actually a really pleasurable casual listen while still being pretty hifi. Comfortable to wear, very sleek looking, and a good sound stage. It's easy enough to drive without having to think you need something crazy to push it. The Fiio E10 for example pushes it just fine. I would suggest it over the K701/2 and HD598 as they all fit the same category really, but the Q701 I think wins out of the bunch in all regards. It does need an amplifier, but again, nothing too powerful is needed, a basic small amp will do the job just fine. Fiio E10, E9, LittleDotMK I+ or II, Asgard, etc, are all fantastic for it; or even a simple sound card like the Xonar DG, Titanium HD or Xonar STX; and also vintage or modern AV receivers work fine for this too.

Very best,

May 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Heya,

AKG Q701. A touch warmer than the K702, less analytical, actually a really pleasurable casual listen while still being pretty hifi. Comfortable to wear, very sleek looking, and a good sound stage. It's easy enough to drive without having to think you need something crazy to push it. The Fiio E10 for example pushes it just fine. I would suggest it over the K701/2 and HD598 as they all fit the same category really, but the Q701 I think wins out of the bunch in all regards. It does need an amplifier, but again, nothing too powerful is needed, a basic small amp will do the job just fine. Fiio E10, E9, LittleDotMK I+ or II, Asgard, etc, are all fantastic for it; or even a simple sound card like the Xonar DG, Titanium HD or Xonar STX; and also vintage or modern AV receivers work fine for this too.

Very best,

Would you expect that the headphone out of a typical mid-range AVR or integrated amp would be able to drive the AKG Q701 adequately.

May 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Would you expect that the headphone out of a typical mid-range AVR or integrated amp would be able to drive the AKG Q701 adequately.

Heya,

Yeap. Sounds great out of my receivers, two of which are entry level, one of which is more middle ground (Onkyo SR308, Denon AVR1312, Pioneer VSX1121). Most receivers have plenty of power and great options for pushing a good pair of headphones, even higher impedance ones or ones that are less sensitive. They range from $150~700 easily, but are often better than most $200 "headphone" marketed solutions with the connectivity (optical, spdiff, analog, etc, inputs, not just limited to USB) and options (EQ, 3D surround effects, and a remote for volume, etc) they come with. You can get used ones for $50~75 all over that work perfectly good. It's a great way to get what you need on a budget instead. The Q701 by the way is not hard to drive at all. Receivers do it fine. The Fiio E10 does it more than fine.

Very best,

May 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Heya,

Yeap. Sounds great out of my receivers, two of which are entry level, one of which is more middle ground (Onkyo SR308, Denon AVR1312, Pioneer VSX1121). Most receivers have plenty of power and great options for pushing a good pair of headphones, even higher impedance ones or ones that are less sensitive. They range from $150~700 easily, but are often better than most $200 "headphone" marketed solutions with the connectivity (optical, spdiff, analog, etc, inputs, not just limited to USB) and options (EQ, 3D surround effects, and a remote for volume, etc) they come with. You can get used ones for $50~75 all over that work perfectly good. It's a great way to get what you need on a budget instead. The Q701 by the way is not hard to drive at all. Receivers do it fine. The Fiio E10 does it more than fine.

Very best,

Thanks.  I am considering the Q701 (among other cans) and since I already have a Marantz AVR I was hoping I would be able to use that instead of buying a separate headphone amp at this time.   

May 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
The Q701's are very nice, just don't use it with music that is bassy.

You're kidding right? I guess if I need massively bloated bass, then sure they'll be a bit disappointing.
The idea that the Q701 can't be used with bass heavy material makes no sense to me.

IMO the Q701's bass isn't any worse than say an HD-600. Maybe people should not use that headphones too...

May 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

You're kidding right? I guess if I need massively bloated bass, then sure they'll be a bit disappointing.
The idea that the Q701 can't be used with bass heavy material makes no sense to me.

IMO the Q701's bass isn't any worse than say an HD-600. Maybe people should not use that headphones too...

I'm a bass head that likes a lot of consumer mainstream music and a lot in general. Yes imo we can talk about it being audiophile good, but for pleasureable good? On mainstream bassy songs these are a let down. Sometimes even on normal ones. I feel as though it needs more bass punch and quantity. 

There's just not enough and no I am not kidding. The Q701's don't work withe very type of music and sometimes even with the music it works well with it doesn't do it well enough, it does the parts that works with the Q701's like highs and mids well but that end punch to bring it all just isn't there for my genre's of music. I didn't buy the Q701's for that though anyway. I got it for $78 slightly used..so I just bought it :)

Great pair of headphones but the bass/low frequency is a let down. Sure it extends but it doesn't have the quanity to really move it forward for my music and imo. I've tried EQ;ing..and the results are disasterous muddy very awkward bass

May 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 31
Q701's have a very nice amount of bass. I'd say midbass is even stronger than the D7000, though the sub bass is obviously not gonna touch the D7000.

In any case, the Q701 smokes the CRAP out of the HD598 in every way other than the very mid forward tone the HD598 has, where the Q701 takes a more balanced approach and keeps the mids in line with everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back