AKG K712 Pro Alternative?
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I have the AKG K712 Pro and they are the perfect headphone for me, except for the fact that they are very loose on my head. This may be because my head is smaller than average, not enough clamping force, or the headband isn't tight enough. I love the overall sound of these cans, tight refined bass, clear awesome mids, and very revealing but never harsh (to my ears) highs. The sound stage is very wide and sounds like I'm sitting a couple rows back, I love this rather than a headphone that is right up in my face.

The only thing that I would improve is the amount of bass/sub bass and the fit as I said before. I have only been listening to this through my iPhone though so would amping them bring out some more presence in the bass?

So if amping them will bring out the bass presence and give it more body I will gladly keep them and deal with the fit but if not can I get a recommendation(s) of an open headphone that sounds as close as these as possible (bass quality maybe more quantity, mids, highs, soundstage)?

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 3
I highly recommend a Quickstep or Stepdance(2) portable amp.  The headphone will always be somewhat thin-sounding compared to other headphones, that cannot be helped very much.
HD558 is mildly similar in sound and much more efficient, requiring much less power for best sound, but its treble isn't very clear and nothing about its sound as refined as K712.  You can adjust to the difference, it isn't as drastic as going from dollar store earbuds to K712.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 3
I highly recommend a Quickstep or Stepdance(2) portable amp.  The headphone will always be somewhat thin-sounding compared to other headphones, that cannot be helped very much.
HD558 is mildly similar in sound and much more efficient, requiring much less power for best sound, but its treble isn't very clear and nothing about its sound as refined as K712.  You can adjust to the difference, it isn't as drastic as going from dollar store earbuds to K712.

Okay, how much are those amps and where can I buy one, I looked around but it didnt seem that I could buy off their website. I was going to go with an O2 or magni at the moment but if those are better and not terribly more expensive I will give one of them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back